Diaper chafing legs... what to do? x-posted - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-07-2008, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hoping someone out there has had some experience with this, my son's pretty irritated and I really want to help him feel better ASAP!

We use a combination of CD and disposables. He's a super heavy wetter at night, usualy leaks through 1 dipe a night. We pretty much can't find a CD that he won't leak through several times a night so he's in a disposable. Anyway, I digress a bit.

Our dryer's been broken and our apartment's too damp to use a drying rack or anything of that nature, so this past 2 weeks he's been mostly in disposables unless we can scrape together $$ for the laundromat. He's also learned to walk in this time frame, and as a result he's go some nasty chafing going on on the insides of his legs. I can tell it's sore because he's been grouchy the past 2 nights and he cries when I wipe him down (I'm using warm water & a cloth now but it still stings him, poor babe ) I'm also appling Lunar Eclipse diaper rash ointment. Should I be using this or keeping it dry? I'm trying cornstarch right now to see if that works a bit better.

I'm thinking of having him go diaper-free for a couple of nights but I'm not sure how practical this is since he's such a heavy wetter. We cosleep and I don't mind the bed getting a bit wet (it usually is at some point because he leaks) but knowing my child we'll wake up in a puddle and this makes him so mad! Also, he's super wriggly at night and ends up all over the bed, so I'm not sure how to comfortably waterproof it all...Anyone have any experience/suggestions for this?
|He's had little rashes before that have cleared up in a day or two of being diaperless during the day, but this rash really sucks. It's so persistent. I think part of that is because both kinds of diapers rub on the same spots and irritate him. I'm at a loss!

Me + him = DS 01/08 & DD 09/09 X2
#2 of 3 Old 12-07-2008, 01:12 AM

Could it be a yeast infection? Our ped told us that's what our dd had when her rash didn't get better with diaper cream.

As far as the rubbing - could you try a prefold and longies or shorties? We've used a twist with prefolds, which is nice and loose, and with the longies there's no rubbing where the diaper normally hits.
#3 of 3 Old 12-07-2008, 11:56 AM

I can tell you my story... DD2 had chafing on the inside of her legs, and the doctor thought it looked like eczema being irritated by chafing. Then she potty trained, and still had it. With no more chafing, what could it be? Turned out it was a corn intolerance (I throw that out there since you're putting cornstarch on it). How old is he? How much is he still nursing at night? I also ask that because my DD2 was a heavy drinker and heavy pee-er until I realized the food intolerances, cut out the food triggers, and her drinking went back down to normal and she started being dry at night. Just some things for you to think about. Not saying it's the cause of your strife, just something to consider.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page