Can you have a kidney infection with no fever? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-14-2008, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have been having pain on the right side of my back, around where the kidney would be for about 20 hours now. I have had 4 kidney infections before, but the last one was 5 years ago so I don't remember. I don't have a fever and I am not nauseous. I am feel the urge to pee more and some discomfort when I pee. Could it be a kidney infection even though there is no fever?

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#2 of 7 Old 12-14-2008, 01:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes. You can. I got a kidney infection in late 2004 and I had no fever, just blinding pain to the point that I couldn't breathe. Wound up doped up on morphine for 6 hours. Go Navy. So yeah, it's quite possible. I hope it's not, I hope you feel better
#3 of 7 Old 12-14-2008, 11:08 AM

Go to any major drugstore and get a UTI test strip if you don't want to go to the doctor. Yes, you can. I get kidney pain but no fever (my temp is normally low anyway so "normal" is a fever for me). I don't get nauseous either. But when the doctor taps on my kidney - OUCH!

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#4 of 7 Old 12-14-2008, 01:28 PM

Shawna, take some probiotics. Specifically, lactobacillis. I assume you know about taking 100% cranberry juice to acidify the urine.

OT, Kathy, I read that a "always low" temperature is associated with adrenal fatigue and hypothyroid.

Pat

I have a blog.
#5 of 7 Old 12-14-2008, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

It doesn't seem to be getting worse so I am not going in as of yet. I can't drink cranberry juice because I have interstitial cystitis and it kills my bladder. I have had a low grade temperature since about 11:00pm last night, just in the 99.5-100.5 range. I will keep an eye on it and see what transpires.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#6 of 7 Old 12-14-2008, 07:34 PM

You can get a test strip at the corner drugstore (most of them have them -- marketed by AZO, or others). That'll tell you pretty quickly if you have a UTI (whether it's in your kidneys or not is usually determined by the flank pain and (sometimes) fever.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#7 of 7 Old 12-14-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly View Post
I can't drink cranberry juice because I have interstitial cystitis and it kills my bladder.
This is an interesting thread by JaneS about interstitial cystitis and salicylate foods. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...r#post12176182

Pat

I have a blog.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page