new baby and mongolian spots. new to me, what do I need to know? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-18-2008, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My new little man (born on dec 2nd) has a large mongolian spot that spans the left side of his back from just below his should down to his mid back and even extends out onto the back of his left arm. I actually didn't notice it (nor do I think any hospital staff noticed it) until a lactation consultant pointed it out the morning after he was born when she came for a visit.

It's purpleish-blue in color and has one tiny spot where it is a shade darker and flat and smooth with the rest of his skin. Hasn't changed in color or size since he was born. Neither dh or I or our 3 y/o dd have birth marks like this. Dh has light colored birth marks (very small in size), I have brown (tan skin colored and small in size) birthmarks and dd has a couple small marks of each of those kinds.

So what causes mongolian spots and do they change over time? I know there are certain health issues indicated by different kinds of birthmarks, do mongolian spots indicate any possible health concerns? I've heard horror stories about kids with mongolian spots and docs unfamiliar with these kids (emergency room visits and such) thinking they are bruises and reporting to CPS. How do I get a confirmed diag on his record that can be accessed easily to avoid any such problems?

~TRACY, wife to loving dh, mommy to dd (10/05), ds(12/08), 3 kitties, & 2 pups.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 12-18-2008, 04:45 AM

My DD had spots on her lower back when she was little. She's 6 now and they've completely faded. I've never heard of any health issues associated with them.

To protect us, I had her pediatrician document the spots in her file and also put dated pictures in her file. If you're very concerned, you might want to carry a letter from your ped with you in case of ER visits, etc.

I also brought her spots to the attention of her other caregivers, all of my family, anyone and everyone who might see them and be concerned.

wild.gif  kickin' it old school
#3 of 3 Old 12-18-2008, 09:25 AM

There's a whole thread about this over on the multi forum

Anywhoo, it sounds normal, nothing to stress about. DDs originally covered most of her back, now it's pretty small.

HTH
Bellevuemama

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page