Mothering Forum banner

Pink Eye/Eye Infection

595 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  3lilpunkins 
#1 ·
I'm not a frequent visitor to this forum, so I don't know if this is a common question, or not. I did search, but didn't come up with anything.

My 19 month old has green goop coming from her left eye, and is rubbing it a lot. She was in contact with another little one who was later dx'd with a sinus infection that is getting into his eyes/ears.

It's not overly pink, though.

Anyways, I really don't want to have to take her to the doctor or get antibiotics/eye drops...so I'm wondering what else I can do for it?

I'm not lactating right now, so EBM isn't an option...but I am willing to try some sort of herbal remedy...although I don't have any experience with it, so I might need a detailed explanation!

In your experience, are antibiotics a necessity, or will it just pass? About how long will it be contagious/there??

Thanks for the help!

-Melanie

See less See more
#2 ·
Most pinkeye is viral, not bacterial, and antibiotics won't do much anyway (except for preventing a secondary infection from developing.) However, sinus infections ARE often bacterial, and green goop is usually a sign of a bacteria, so it sounds like her specific case might be bacterial (even though, in general, pink eye tends to be caused by a virus.)

Antibiotics work on bacteria, not viruses. Not all antibiotics will work on every bacterial infection, and it IS possible to treat bacterial infections with natural remedies. The presence of a bacterial infection does not automatically mean that you MUST use antibiotics.

You can wash out the eye with a saline solution (buy the kind meant for contact lens users or make your own by mixing one teaspoon salt with 16oz of water) several times a day for a few days. Be sure to wash the child's hands frequently and also wash anything she might touch frequently- pink eye is very contageous and toddlers tend to rub their eyes a lot and touch a whole bunch of things around the house.

I'd also try to boost her overall immunity with extra vitamin C and echinachea (and/or an herbal remedy for general immunity that's safe for kids.)

#3 ·
Pink eye or whatever infection is going on 2 things will ALWAYS work. (I've evn used this on a babe as young as 2 m/o)
Colloidal silver drops in eye.
Eyebright made into tea, soak a cotton ball, apply side with no pulp to eye

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.