sudden spots (freckles?) on toddler's neck? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 12-18-2008, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 2.5 year old suddenly has some spots on only one side of his neck. I tried taking pics but they are very faint and I couldn't get a good photo even without the flash drowning them out. Anyway... they almost look like tiny popped blood vessels but why would those be there? They also look likek super tiny faint freckles. They are totally smooth... not raised or bumpy and they don't seem to bother him... no itching. I tried washing them off thinking maybe something splattered on him (okay just a last ditch effort even though I really didn't think it was mud or paint!!).

What gives??? I really really really don't want to take him to doctor so I'm hoping to soothe my concern. My mom will be here later and I'm going to get her opinion.

okay i looked again... they are also on the back of his ear and on the side of his jaw... they are so tiny... it looks like splatter paint spots but very faint in color. why would these only be on his right side if they are freckles???

aside from a runny nose/cough he's healthy. no conditions or allergies that we know of. do you think that could be a sign of a reaction to something???

i have gotten broken blood vessels in my face once when i was sick and straining to not throw up and this is the closest thing they resemble to me so maybe he strained his neck?? then why would they be on his ear and jaw??

any thoughts?? brainstorms?? i wasn't sure which forum to put this ?~
#2 of 12 Old 12-18-2008, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My dd had a rash like that only on her stomach, and the peds said that it is the only kind of rash to be concerned about and to call the doctor about. So do call. It can mean a wide variety of things, from strep throat to an allergy, but it can also go along with really serious things like leukemia and menengitis, so it is worth testing and it is worth a call. Don't get too worried - I think it's almost always strep. That's what it was in my dd's case. But the ped. will want to see it and test.
#3 of 12 Old 12-18-2008, 06:03 PM

My ds1 had a patch of freckles appear on his neck and we were advised that it was dry skin and to moisturise it. We rubbed on aqueous cream every day and it went away.
#4 of 12 Old 12-18-2008, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangefoot View Post
My ds1 had a patch of freckles appear on his neck and we were advised that it was dry skin and to moisturise it. We rubbed on aqueous cream every day and it went away.
That wouldn't be smooth, like she said, or look like tiny popped blood vessels (which is exactly what this rash is.)
#5 of 12 Old 12-18-2008, 09:28 PM

It was totally smooth and didn't look chapped or flaky or anything. It looked just like freckles. I didn't believe that it could be dryness either but moisturising did make it go away.

I will shut up now though.
#6 of 12 Old 12-18-2008, 09:33 PM

petechia?

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
#7 of 12 Old 12-19-2008, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

well that does it. i'm going to the doc with him tomorrow for sure. i'd rather be safe than sorry.

i will try to moisturizing also. what the heck. it's not going to hurt to try in the meantime.
#8 of 12 Old 12-19-2008, 11:31 PM

any updates OP? hope your little one is okay,
#9 of 12 Old 12-19-2008, 11:33 PM

With him having a cough I'd say it's most likely popped blood vessels from coughing. It's quite common
#10 of 12 Old 12-23-2008, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

sorry for the late update...

when he woke up the next morning, the spots were totally gone. but later on, he came down with a fever... he had it all day sunday and that day he was complaining that his ears hurt. so after him being up all night with the ear ache, I took him this morning to doctor and he has infection in both ears plus weezing was going on so he had a breathing treatment and she prescribed amoxcillin (sp?) and abuterol (sp? again!). So anyway... I did bring up the spots on his neck. The doc didn't seem too concerned ...she asked if he'd been coughing a lot. I said actually yes before this came on, he had a night of all night coughing that kept us awake all night so she said he could have strained his neck from the coughing. i guess that makes sense especially since they are gone and have not returned.
#11 of 12 Old 12-23-2008, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
With him having a cough I'd say it's most likely popped blood vessels from coughing. It's quite common
:

lol, just saw your post
#12 of 12 Old 12-26-2008, 10:07 PM

op - gald to hear that it;s not too serious sending healing vibes your little ones way...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page