Testing for celiac - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-28-2008, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know there are people here dealing with celiac within the family. How did you go about getting a diagnosis? I'm realizing that my 9 month old is very gluten sensitive but have read that testing isn't accurate before age 2. Is this correct? I'm also wondering about my 3 yr old who has had all kinds of GI maladies though not the classic severe symptoms of celiac. But I'm also learning that some people have much milder symptoms and test positive.

What type of testing did you have done? At what age is it accurate? Will the pedi think I'm nuts to request celiac testing on a child in the normal weight range, even if he has GI problems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2008, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There is a blood test (I think you have to have been having gluten for the test to be accurate). And the gold standard is a biopsy. There's also a genetic test. We don't have it (but both DD2 and I have had the blood test). We are both gluten intolerant, though not celiac. A friend of ours has two boys who are type 1 diabetic and also celiac (no symptoms, they had the blood test, tested positive, then had the biopsy; diabetes and celiac are both auto-immune diseases that are carried on the same gene apparently). I also have a neighbor who's a celiac, and her two kids are gluten intolerant, but not celiac. There are many people that find the "diagnosis" (and the testing) irrelevant if there is an obvious problem with gluten, because either way you have to remove it completely from their diet.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 12-28-2008, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First is a blood test, if you are positive (or positive leaning on the scale) they do a biopsy. The blood test is fairly expensive, it was $700 for my aunt and $800 for my mother. (I'm military so I didn't have to pay)

I think it isn't accurate for children under 5. I think that a failure to thrive is a big indicator with children.

Celiac's in genetic, so I believe a parent would have to either have it or be a carrier. That's how everyone in my family found out. My grandfather was diagnosed, then my aunt, etc.

User Tag List