DH just admitted to Hospital - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 12-29-2008, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You need the support of your family right now so I am glad that you told people.
#32 of 43 Old 12-29-2008, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Gosh, how scary for you all. Any chance you all could transfer to the local hospital? It really doesn't sound necessary to be so far away from home.

Here is info about ventricular septal defects: http://www.achaheart.org/resource/ic...efects_vsd.php

Here is info about atrial septal defects: http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/...al/septal.aspx

Hope it is a small VSD and you all are home quickly.

Pat
Thanks. Now I'm armed with info. so I can ask the doctor intelligent questions. I just called our auto mechanic, who I know just had heart surgery a few years ago (our age) and he said to get him transferred to another hospital. That from what he's heard, that hospital is not good for cardiology. ARGH. Now what do I do? He said his cardiologist was fantastic and he's at the same hospital where the recommended neurologist is. Everything I read from your links above says he's going to have to have surgery to close the hole. Ugh. This is getting more and more fun.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#33 of 43 Old 12-29-2008, 11:09 AM

to you, your dh and the children.
#34 of 43 Old 12-29-2008, 12:08 PM

Select a cardiologist at the hospital where you want to receive care and contact the cardiologist about accepting him as a 'hospital to hospital transfer'. Standard procedure for folks to be transferred. Only thing is, often insurance won't pay the $$$$ medical transport bill. Best case...I'd just get him on the Coumadin and off the heparin, no invasive diagnostic testing at that hospital, and drive him to the new hospital to be admitted under your new cardiologist's care.

The current docs will want to do a cardiac cath. Personally, I'd be VERY selective about who would do that VERY invasive procedure on my husband. I only have a handful of cardiologists I'd allow to do that here. The procedure is very skill specific, both manually and with the ability to visualize and get a proper evaluation and diagnosis. I'd want someone who speciallizes in VSD diagnostics, who works hand in hand with a cardiac surgeon, to do the cardiac catheterization.

The SIZE of the hole is the critical issue. And like ultrasounds and guessing fetal weights, the ability of the technician varies, greatly. And they often miscalculate. IF the hole is small, no surgery. If they judge the hole large, surgery is indicated. I'd want someone experienced at judging VSD sizes. That would occur at a larger, city hospital with docs who are about 45-50 years old, imo. Experienced and seen a lot of hearts.

Folks who do little cardiac caths for artery evaluation on a day to day basis, is a different league than a hospital which does cardiac surgery on a day to day basis. I don't know that the "local" hospital is "best". I'd look in a 100 mile radius for the most experienced advanced cardiac center.

There is plenty of time. Just delay the invasive diagnostics. There is NO urgency. He's had the same hole for 41 years. A few days or weeks to get a full (experienced) consultation doesn't have to happen this. afternoon. The current issue is blood clotting; and frankly, the coumadin will just have to be stopped before the cardiac cath anyway. So, I'd get him off the heparin and to a preferred hospital.

I assume they've done a carotid ultrasound and echocardiogram and found no clots present.

Pat

I have a blog.
#35 of 43 Old 12-29-2008, 12:10 PM

Big Hugs . I'll be thinking about you.

I had heart surgery in 2005 and truly amazed that medicine has minimized the invasiveness and pain relative to what I thought I was going to have. It's not that it's not a big deal, just isn't as scary as I'd imagined.

Wendy ~ mom to VeeGee (6/05), who has PRS, Apraxia, SPD, VPI, a G-Tube, 14q duplication, and is a delightful little pistol! I'm an English professor and a writer.
#36 of 43 Old 12-29-2008, 01:27 PM

Oh my gosh, Kathy, big hugs to you and your family!! I'll be thinking of you all day. I would totally take Pat's advice and don't rush into any invasive procedures that aren't time-dependent. Get all your questions answered first! Good luck, and be a strong advocate for your DH. I know you are such a strong woman!
#37 of 43 Old 12-29-2008, 01:51 PM

Thinking of you Kathy. I hope you are able to get him to the closer hospital and get docs you really trust. This will all be okay - just keep breathing. (and
planning complicated menus for your family )

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
#38 of 43 Old 12-29-2008, 03:06 PM

sending healing thoughts your way!
#39 of 43 Old 12-29-2008, 06:40 PM

so sorry to read this, hope you have answers soon.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#40 of 43 Old 12-29-2008, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Well, he's out and home. They did an MRI of his brain and found nothing (I mean, nothing odd, not no brain, which is what I keep telling him). And ultrasounds of his legs, and no clots. They said it could still have been a TIA but tests weren't conclusive one way or the other, but that's common. He got all the test results on 2 CDs to be able to bring to other doctors, and he'll go to a cardiologist and a neurologist in the next couple weeks.

The hole is a PFO, which I guess 1 out of every 5 people have and it's no big deal, and they don't close it or anything. They said it's highly unlikely it had anything to do with his "episode". They told him his cholesterol was a little high (219; it's usually around 170-180) and he should work on that (I told him to start taking my high potency fish oil, that's what brought mine from 220 to 165), he should exercise more regularly (hard to do on the shifts he's on, but I'm going to be on his butt to do it), and take a baby aspirin every day.

He's glad to be out. Building rockets with the kids. I'm feeling exhausted and still worried because they didn't really give him any answers. I'll feel better when he gets into see some good doctors that are recommended by people we know and trust.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!!! YOU GUYS KEEP ME SANE!!!!!!

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#41 of 43 Old 12-29-2008, 09:30 PM

Glad you all are home.

Here is info about PFOs: http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/...nital/pfo.aspx

Pat

I have a blog.
#42 of 43 Old 12-29-2008, 11:48 PM

Well, I'm glad he's home and seems well. I hope you will keep us updated as to what the outcome is with all of this.
I very much hope that you will get some rest soon.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#43 of 43 Old 12-30-2008, 12:55 AM

Yay he's home!

And get some serious rest. Stress like this is a b@@tch. You guys will figure out what you need to.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page