DH just admitted to Hospital - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-28-2008, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DH works shiftwork and happened to be on nightshift last night. He called me at 6:30 this morning and said that overnight at work he had some "odd" symptoms: facial tingling, then a massive headache and tingling pain in his arm. The shift manager brought him to the ER, where they've done a CT scan on his head and an EKG. So far they haven't found anything but are admitting him for observation. He said he'd call me when he got a room and tell me what he needed me to bring him. I've got three kids here who've never even seen their father sick. Not sure if I should leave them at home or bring them with me. DH works an hour away so the hospital is there, and I don't even know where it is, so I'll have to figure that out. On the phone, his voice sounded sort of odd. Like he was congested almost (though he doesn't have a cold that I know of). If they checked for stroke and heart, what else can it be? The thing I thought of was allergic reaction (facial tingling and headache) though he's never had food issues (that would be me and 2 of the kids). Any other ideas? This guy is never sick.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2008, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope and pray that all is well with your DH.

+ + =
Old 12-28-2008, 11:53 AM

Oh Kathy!

I did some googling and found people discussing something similar. http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?t=1821

They are saying acute migraine.
I don't know but please update when you can ok?

and :
Old 12-28-2008, 12:47 PM

No ideas, just
Old 12-28-2008, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherWren View Post
Oh Kathy!

I did some googling and found people discussing something similar. http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?t=1821

They are saying acute migraine.
I don't know but please update when you can ok?
The other one on there is TIA, which is what I was thinking. He's never had a migraine. Rarely gets headaches. He has allergy-induced asthma and is on meds for that. I guess it says that a CT scan of the brain sometimes shows TIA and sometimes doesn't, so now I'm worried. I'm wondering if that's why they're keeping him there. He's only 41. He's in pretty good shape. Good cholesterol, blood pressure, average weight. We eat healthy. For work, he has to do a pretty rigorous physical every year (treadmill and all) and he has a physical with our regular allopath as well. I wish I had some answers. And I wish he'd call!! He told me not to come until he calls me to tell me what to bring him, and that was 3.5 hours ago!!

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 12-28-2008, 01:50 PM

I hope your DH feels better and you can have and good result after all. Take care

Mama of and , partners.gif with  Love
Old 12-28-2008, 02:20 PM

Any updates?

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Old 12-28-2008, 02:24 PM

I hope he is ok! I'll be eagerly awaiting an update.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
Old 12-28-2008, 02:30 PM

Could this be stress related? I only suggest this because I had to go to the ER about a month ago with very similar symptoms. I had been worrying about other health issues and worked myself into a panic attack that presented with the facial tingling, and left arm numbness.

I know this must be frightening
Old 12-28-2008, 02:45 PM

Kathy, I'm SO sorry. I hope all turns out well. It is my understanding that sometimes TIA's do not show up. My g-pa went through a spell of having lots of them and his diagnosis pretty much came from a process of elimination. If it were me, I would take the kids. I think the unknown is scarier than the reality. I think it will be good for them to see their dad, hug and kiss him, and whatever. Maybe bring some books and games that he can do with them. Please keep us posted.

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
Old 12-28-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaMary View Post
If it were me, I would take the kids. I think the unknown is scarier than the reality. I think it will be good for them to see their dad, hug and kiss him, and whatever. Maybe bring some books and games that he can do with them. Please keep us posted.
I agree.

Hope all is well- keep us posted.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:34 PM

I hope everything is ok. (((hugs)))
Old 12-28-2008, 04:15 PM

Hoping everything turns out ok.

babyf.gif

Old 12-28-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
The other one on there is TIA, which is what I was thinking. He's never had a migraine. Rarely gets headaches. He has allergy-induced asthma and is on meds for that. I guess it says that a CT scan of the brain sometimes shows TIA and sometimes doesn't, so now I'm worried. I'm wondering if that's why they're keeping him there. He's only 41. He's in pretty good shape. Good cholesterol, blood pressure, average weight. We eat healthy. For work, he has to do a pretty rigorous physical every year (treadmill and all) and he has a physical with our regular allopath as well. I wish I had some answers. And I wish he'd call!! He told me not to come until he calls me to tell me what to bring him, and that was 3.5 hours ago!!
Please try not to worry if he's in the hospital I'm sure they're doing all the correct procedures to make sure everything checked and double-checked for a TIA.
I do know a lot about TIA though, my DH (at 42) had one a month ago. It started with just your basic tingling on the left side of his body. It was from head to toes. However, he felt ok otherwise. Then a few days later it started getting worse, still no other normally associated symptoms with TIA like blurred vision, migraine, or slurred speech, so we didn't worry too much. Then the day after Thanksgiving he saw a family friend who's a chiro, since he thought it was related to an accident he was in with his left elbow. Sadly, it didn't help. Weekend went by, and Monday he came home from the store and said he thought he needed to go to the ER - we did - and they checked what they could, did a CT scan and some other stuff. Didn't find anything and suggested to follow-up with primary care doc and a neurologist and sent us home. I got the name of a neurologist from them and called as we were driving home. He got in two days later. Within three hours he was admitted to the hospital with the dx of TIA. So why the ER didn't catch it is a mystery to me. Anyhow, he was there for three days and they saw evidence of a TIA but no blockages noted. So apparently the clot can resolve itself. He's know on 4 meds and will hopefully go down to one (the cholesterol drug) soon along with 325mg of Ecotrin (to thin blood).

Granted, it was very scary, but certainly a wake up call for us. We immediately went to the best Registered Dietitian we could find and she gave us great information about a pro-cardiovascular diet and recommended that he go to an internist. So he has an appt next week with another great doc.

PM me if you this is the actual dx and i can help out in any other way.

Kate, Wife to DH and Mommy to a 5yo lovin' DS; three angels 4/08 9/08 3/10 in Heaven,
waitin' for my baby

Old 12-28-2008, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

I'm glad I looked into it before I went. He finally got in a room. I'm not familiar with the hospital and it's an hour away. I got lost of course, which didn't help. When we went up to the floor he was on, and went down the hallway, the first room was the "Stroke Counselor". When we found his room (nice private room, btw), he had an IV port in his hand and an EKG hooked up everywhere. And there was an educational booklet on the food tray thing that was stroke/TIA information. So I said "Is this what they're thinking" and he said they're still trying to rule things out and there's a bunch of other tests they want to do but they were trying to fit him in. The kids asked if they could come back tomorrow and I said probably we'd be coming to pick up Daddy, and I looked up and he was subtly shaking his head no, so maybe an extra day. He's already on a heart-healthy diet (we do the Omega Diet) but I'm figuring he'll be put on some sort of blood thinner or something. His only days off this week were supposed to be Monday after he got off night shift and Tuesday, then working the next 5 days day shift, so I don't know what that means for his schedule. He was pretty mellow and happy to be watching football since he hasn't had a Sunday off during football season yet, and he'd just ordered lunch. Then he was going to take a nap. So I'm feeding the kids, then I'm going to drop them off with a friend and go back down to see him (and hopefully catch a doctor around). I wish he was in the local hospital that's 10 minutes away and affiliated with our regular doctors (and I have friends who are nurses there) instead of an hour away.

Thank you all for your support!! And information!! You guys are awesome!

Old 12-28-2008, 05:03 PM

Thanks for the update. I've been thinking of you all (and will continue to these next days and weeks). Keep us posted.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:16 PM

Thank you for the update.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Old 12-28-2008, 05:23 PM

Omgoodness!
You're in my thoughts, Kathy.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 12-28-2008, 10:12 PM

Hope all is well tonight. FWIW my brother recently had full cardiac work up, being in the hospital for a few days. His heart is super, he had gall bladder disease.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:34 PM

Oh no, Kathy! I'm so sorry! I hope you get some answers tonight. You'll be in my prayers.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:41 PM

Thank you for the update. I am relieved to read that it sounds like he is ok. I hope they get everything figured out.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

They think it's a TIA that he got because he might have gotten a clot because of the HOLE IN HIS HEART. Yikes. Some hole that usually closes up within 48 hours of birth but apparently didn't in his case. He said he hasn't even seen a doctor. The nurse told him about the hole in his heart. They started him on heparin to thin his blood, and they're going to do ultrasounds of his legs to see if he has any clots there. So now we're in need of a cardiologist and a neurologist. My oldest DD is worried. The younger two are oblivious. I'm exhausted for some reason. So I have two babysitters lined up for tomorrow, one in the morning for a few hours and one in the late afternoon for a few hours, and in between I have to take DD1 to the orthodontist and figure out food for everybody and all that fun stuff. I thought this was going to be a relaxing winter break.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:08 AM

Geez Kathy- you have every reason to be exhausted!! I'm glad you got babysitters for tomorrow. I hope you get some rest tonight. Do they know how long your DH has to stay in the hospital?

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:10 AM

Sounds like your adrenals are working overtime and need some support. Are you taking anything for them? I can't even make any suggestions atm for that, but...
I can't think very clearly right now. Just know you and your family are in my heart.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 12-29-2008, 01:17 AM

Thinking of you and your family. I'm glad you have babysitters lined up tomorrow.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:41 AM

Gosh, how scary for you all. Any chance you all could transfer to the local hospital? It really doesn't sound necessary to be so far away from home.

Here is info about ventricular septal defects: http://www.achaheart.org/resource/ic...efects_vsd.php

Here is info about atrial septal defects: http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/...al/septal.aspx

Hope it is a small VSD and you all are home quickly.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:02 AM

The other thing is that there is no urgency. You all have plenty of time to research, do consults, get a second opinion or two, and find the most experienced cardiologists for evaluating this.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:07 AM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 12-29-2008, 02:12 AM

TIA's are hard to catch because they come and go (usually) with no residual weakness or compromise. If he is throwing clots he'll probably have to go on coumadin long term. They'll start with heparin, introduce the coumadin for a few days (coumadin takes a few days to start working) and stop the heparin. How long he stays on heparin will depend on if he has any other clots going on and how large they are.

I would suggest not taking your younger two children up on the floor. I know they want to see dad but it's RSV season and children under the age of 12 are not to be on the floors (at least in my hospital they aren't). They can be in the lobby but not the actual unit. Since he's on a heparin drip is he on a critical care unit? Those are the floors with the sickest patients and it's germ central. I shower before I even come near my son after work.

Good luck to you and your husband, I hope he goes home as quickly as possible. Take care of yourself.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

The kids were all allowed up there when we went up yesterday morning, but now that he's got an IV in, I don't want them crawling all over him anyway. None of them are sick but the youngest is 3 and doesn't listen all that well. I'm not planning on bringing them today anyway. My kids all used the hand sanitizer when they walked in (they thought it was fun). He's just in a regular unit. A doctor hasn't even been assigned yet. Luckily a friend of ours from high school is now the head of the stroke unit at Uconn Medical Center. Another friend of mine who works for her (small world) was going to email her last night and ask for either a consult or a recommendation for a neurologist at this hospital. I just don't know the hospital down there at all, or any of the staff so it makes me doubly nervous (and probably because it takes me so long to get there in case anything did go wrong). He is in really good spirits which is good. But he doesn't want me to tell anyone in the family because he doesn't want them "to worry" (or visit). But my half-brother is coming to babysit this morning and my dad is coming over to babysit this afternoon. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to go visit him at all. So too bad for him. Everybody else I know is working this week so I was out of luck in the babysitter department. It's so nice to know all these happy thoughts are with me though.

User Tag List