My OBG wants me to take Provera - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-29-2008, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My period stopped about 8 months ago. My OBG (NP) ran tests and I am not in Menopause, or so the tests state. I'm 42, btw. She told me my periods stopped b/c I had gained a considerable amount of weight. She now wants me to take Provera to kick start my period. I am a sissy when it comes to meds and the list of possible side effects has me scared. What to do?

**The med perscribed is Medroxyprogesterone, generic for Provera. 10 mg.
#2 of 9 Old 12-29-2008, 07:17 PM

Gaining weight should not make your periods stop. Did she check for PCOS? Prolactin level? Thyroid? You need to see the doctor, not the NP. Or, you need to see an endocrinologist. Don't take the medication until the workup is complete, and it certainly sounds like it is not.
#3 of 9 Old 12-29-2008, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

I am concerned about my thyroid too and no on the protien check. My reg doc had my thyroid checked via blood test but from what I've read, that's not enough. I really like the NP and she has to go thru the actual doc for everything, including meds. She used to be a midwife and seems to be less invasive than most docs...maybe too much? I'm waiting on a call from her.
#4 of 9 Old 12-29-2008, 08:18 PM

It's great that you like the NP, of course you should continue to see her. However, it sounds like this is beyond her expertise. Trust me, I work with NPs and PAs and they are great, but they don't really need to "go through" the doctor for these things. NPs are licensed and can practice independently, and I seriously doubt that the doctor has reviewed your chart. If she has, then you need to see someone else. This definitely deserves a more thorough workup.
#5 of 9 Old 12-29-2008, 08:21 PM

BTW- if you take the medication and have a period, this means nothing- only that you still are producing estrogen. We already know that, since you are not menopausal. You will likely have a period and then go back to missing them again, so you're right back to where you started. It's just treating the symptom, not the problem.
#6 of 9 Old 12-29-2008, 08:35 PM

You need to have saliva testing done of five hormones to see if they are bio-available, not blood testing to evaluate hormones. The hormones are interconnected. Basically, the thyroid, progesterone, estrogen, testosterone and cortisol levels all need to be evaluated as they change over the course of day.

Please check out the adrenal and thyroid threads before taking a medication with side effects. Identify and address the underlying issues.

Adrenal thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=685848
Thyroid thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=946468

Pat

I have a blog.
#7 of 9 Old 12-29-2008, 08:43 PM

I say if you are not trying to get pg then be happy af is gone. I would give real money if mine would go away and never come back. The 6years of no af while on depo where the happiest of my life.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#8 of 9 Old 12-29-2008, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
You need to have saliva testing done of five hormones to see if they are bio-available, not blood testing to evaluate hormones. The hormones are interconnected. Basically, the thyroid, progesterone, estrogen, testosterone and cortisol levels all need to be evaluated as they change over the course of day.

Please check out the adrenal and thyroid threads before taking a medication with side effects. Identify and address the underlying issues.

Adrenal thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=685848
Thyroid thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=946468

Pat
Whew, that's a lot of info, lol, but I'm taking notes and will be bringing them to my NP/Doc's attention. Thanks for the info. Makes a lot of sense. I am tired most days and will be watching what I eat, or don't eat for that matter. Back to my vitamins too.
#9 of 9 Old 12-29-2008, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, I am so glad I brought this up. I've been dealing w/so much lately and need to put aside some time and help myself find out what the heck's going on before popping pills I know nothing about.

You're all wonderful and I appreciate any input

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page