cold hands and feet in infant - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-01-2009, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm fairly certain that i'm hypothyroid. my BBT is usually in the 97 range and i have quite a few hypo symptoms. anyway, ds2 (5 mo) is ebf and he often has cold hands and feet (and leg sometimes.) does my being deficient in thyroid hormones cause him to be deficient as well?

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 01-01-2009, 02:28 PM

I thought infants always had cold hands and feet... at least mine did/do, and I've always been told not to worry about it until they were old enough to walk/run/be very active. :

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#3 of 13 Old 01-01-2009, 08:30 PM

My kids often had cold hands and feet as babies. I always heard it was nothing to stress about, even though the grandmas of the world get upset about it. If their trunk and belly feel cold, that's when you worry. But it can't hurt to ask a healthcare provider if you are worried.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#4 of 13 Old 01-01-2009, 08:33 PM

Sorry, I am going to disagree with the PP. At least in our case.

One of the first symptoms of something wrong with my daughter at 2 months of age was the fact her left foot was cold and purple most of the time.

Are there any other symptoms? Are your childs legs or arms "floppy"?

Its probably nothing but I would watch it.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#5 of 13 Old 01-02-2009, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

no, usually not purple and definitely not limp. i think he will be crawling by next month. he has been getting up on his hands and knees for some time now. i guess it is probably normal, but i thought i had read somewhere that if you are hypothyroid then the baby is not going to be getting enough thyroid hormones through your bm. but i could be wrong, or misunderstood what i read.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#6 of 13 Old 01-02-2009, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpenguin View Post
no, usually not purple and definitely not limp. i think he will be crawling by next month. he has been getting up on his hands and knees for some time now. i guess it is probably normal, but i thought i had read somewhere that if you are hypothyroid then the baby is not going to be getting enough thyroid hormones through your bm. but i could be wrong, or misunderstood what i read.
Your LO is supposed to be getting thyroid hormone in your milk, it's one of many things that is supposed to pass through. I was hypo when my son was little and felt pretty awful, but I didn't notice any problems with him. I've also read that somewhat cold hands and feet are normal in babies, just based on that I don't think I could've figured it out if it were an issue for us.

For me, the bigger problem was that a lot of vitamin and mineral deficiencies were the cause of the hypo (essentially not enough raw materials for my thyroid to use) and so my son was deficient as well, since he grew in me. Not enough to be hypo, at least as far as I could/can tell, but we're doing a lot of work to improve all of our health. ithyroid.com talks about thyroid function in terms of vitamins and minerals.
#7 of 13 Old 01-03-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post
Sorry, I am going to disagree with the PP. At least in our case.

One of the first symptoms of something wrong with my daughter at 2 months of age was the fact her left foot was cold and purple most of the time.

Are there any other symptoms? Are your childs legs or arms "floppy"?

Its probably nothing but I would watch it.
what was diagnosis? my dds left arm does this. her dr said not to worry.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#8 of 13 Old 01-03-2009, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
For me, the bigger problem was that a lot of vitamin and mineral deficiencies were the cause of the hypo (essentially not enough raw materials for my thyroid to use) and so my son was deficient as well, since he grew in me. Not enough to be hypo, at least as far as I could/can tell, but we're doing a lot of work to improve all of our health. ithyroid.com talks about thyroid function in terms of vitamins and minerals.
yeah. i'm certain i have plenty of deficiencies. i didn't want to get pregnant the 2nd time before i had a chance to get that all straightened out. but apparently i lacked the proper self-control. i have that site bookmarked for a long time now. i just need to sit down one day and look everything up and find out the food sources of those things. i cannot afford a lot of supplements.

#9 of 13 Old 01-04-2009, 02:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpenguin View Post
yeah. i'm certain i have plenty of deficiencies. i didn't want to get pregnant the 2nd time before i had a chance to get that all straightened out. but apparently i lacked the proper self-control. i have that site bookmarked for a long time now. i just need to sit down one day and look everything up and find out the food sources of those things. i cannot afford a lot of supplements.
FWIW, Jon's site (the ithyroid.com site, I mean) is really thorough, in the sense of how all the vitamins and minerals affect each other and can get really out-of-balance (not so much on why all these deficiencies would exist though), but the list of things to take is longer than it needs to be to start feeling better. I've seen shorter lists, heck, there are supplements at Whole Foods that say Thyroid Support or whatever, and are vitamins and minerals (if you wanted to see what they had and compare to his list, for example). To me, it seems like zinc, selenium, iodine, A, D, a B complex and bowel tolerance C (maybe this even more for adrenals, but since they're so often both affected) are the most important. But I am just one voice. Getting enough to make a difference from food for some would be hard (like zinc) and a supplement may actually be more cost effective, but I haven't looked into the whole list (and obviously good nutrition and food sources have a whole list of their own benefits). When I started, I was just desperate to feel better and I hadn't really bought into the whole nutrition being the cornerstone of good health idea yet.

Oh, and this is one of the reasons I'm not stressing about the fact that my luteal phase is 7 or 8 days long right now, so I _can't_ get pregnant. Part of my health being messed up, but really quite a blessing at the moment. Anyway, I hope you start feeling better soon, and enjoy your new little one!
#10 of 13 Old 01-04-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claddaghmom View Post
what was diagnosis? my dds left arm does this. her dr said not to worry.
She has Lipomyelomeningocele, tethered spinal cord, neurogenic bladder and neurogenic bowel. We didn't get a diagnosis till she was 4 1/2 months of age (symptoms we noticed at 2 months of age). Due to her spinal cord being tethered it was stretching as she grew. Causing nerve damage.

She will be 3 in less than a month. She has no feeling or movement below the knee on her left leg. So I freak a little when I see posts on cold feet. Though as a Mom of three I know that can be normal.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#11 of 13 Old 01-04-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post
She has Lipomyelomeningocele, tethered spinal cord, neurogenic bladder and neurogenic bowel. We didn't get a diagnosis till she was 4 1/2 months of age (symptoms we noticed at 2 months of age). Due to her spinal cord being tethered it was stretching as she grew. Causing nerve damage.

She will be 3 in less than a month. She has no feeling or movement below the knee on her left leg. So I freak a little when I see posts on cold feet. Though as a Mom of three I know that can be normal.
That is a lot! I can see how you would worry on these threads.

I've always been worried about my DD's arm b/c it has been that way since birth. It only happens when she is lying on her back (aka diaper change or lying on her sponge in the bath). It turns dark purple. The doctor didn't think anything of it, but I wonder if that is b/c she doesn't have a purple arm when we visit. KWIM? I already took her to a chiropractor who said everything feels fine. It's the same arm that was a nuchal presentation w/ the elbow sticking out, too!

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#12 of 13 Old 01-04-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claddaghmom View Post
That is a lot! I can see how you would worry on these threads.

I've always been worried about my DD's arm b/c it has been that way since birth. It only happens when she is lying on her back (aka diaper change or lying on her sponge in the bath). It turns dark purple. The doctor didn't think anything of it, but I wonder if that is b/c she doesn't have a purple arm when we visit. KWIM? I already took her to a chiropractor who said everything feels fine. It's the same arm that was a nuchal presentation w/ the elbow sticking out, too!
Thank you for the hug. Right now we are dealing with her left leg being nearly an inch shorter than the right, possible scoliosis already and this weird UTI. Sigh....Its always something.

When we were trying to figure out what was wrong with my daughter's leg, we saw the Ped Ortho Surgeon first who suspected a spinal tumor (which in a way he was right because she had a lipoma under the hemangioma on her lower spine). He ordered an MRI and said to see the Ped Neurologist. The Ped Neurologist suspected a missing nerve in her leg (then we had the MRI and got immediately sent to the Pediatric Neurosurgeon who gave us the diagnosis). I wonder if thats your case. A missing nerve causes it. Have you seen a Neurologist? Does it bother her?

#13 of 13 Old 01-04-2009, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

KatWrangler i'm sorry momma, that is really a lot to deal with.

Tanya i kwym. right now though we're just making ends meet because dh has not been making as much o/t at work lately and it will be awhile before things pick back up again. hopefully i will be approved for medicaid and have some coverage so i can have some testing done. if i was having problems with just my thyroid, then i would probably get one of the thyroid support formulas. but i have leaky gut (both my ds's have numerous food intolerances) and i'm sure i have some estrogen dominance issues as well. because of the food intolerances, our groceries every month are expensive. i am wanting to get one of those pill filling machines so i can puchase herbs in bulk. i'm looking into getting some maca. within the next couple of days i will hopefully be ordering some hvclo. i think i'm actually doing a lot better on zinc than i used to as i don't have nearly as many white spots on my nails anymore. and : about not being able to get pregnant! i hope i'm not fertile again yet!!! i need to start my tracking!

User Tag List