Strep. Kind of urgent question. UPDATE page 2, post#1 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 01-12-2009, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeliphish View Post
If you stop a course of antibiotics once they are started then that just makes the bacteria stronger. Strep throat can really cause some major complications if left untreated.

that is what I'm concerned too...
#32 of 45 Old 01-12-2009, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

I'm so torn, I don't know what to do
#33 of 45 Old 01-12-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yulia_R View Post
I'm so torn, U don't know what to do
If you haven't already, call your doctor and tell them what's going on. They can get you ds on a different antibiotic. If the rest of your family is fine with what you're taking, finish the medication.
#34 of 45 Old 01-12-2009, 07:08 PM

Check with your doctor. I agree that they will most likely prescribe another antibiotic. I am allergic to all of the -cillins but they always find something I can take. I would not stop at the three doses and give nothing else. With my DS the doctor looked at the rash and determined that it was not an allergic reaction and he was right.

Let them sleep in the middle, Let them be little
#35 of 45 Old 01-13-2009, 01:37 AM

Quote:
benedryl doesn't treat Strep, does it?

I have a concern. If I stop antibiotic now, after just 3 doses (instead of 5) that the strep will come back. And after we treated the entire family to avoid this very thing I'm really torn as far as what to do now...
The benedryl is to stop any allergic reaction to the abx, but your son will still need another abx for the strep. He is probably allergic to the cillians and will need something different. Your doctor might have you bring him back in to check the rash. I always have to go back in when I break out from an abx. He will have to have something to kick the strep, though, just something different.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#36 of 45 Old 01-13-2009, 02:12 AM

There are a couple strains of strep that can cause rheumatic fever; not all of them do. That's the only strain you actually NEED to treat with abx, and you can ask the doc to test for the strain. But abx can help relieve the discomfort of all strep.
#37 of 45 Old 01-13-2009, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgirl View Post
There are a couple strains of strep that can cause rheumatic fever; not all of them do. That's the only strain you actually NEED to treat with abx, and you can ask the doc to test for the strain. But abx can help relieve the discomfort of all strep.
I have wondered about this. I did a lot of research on strep last year, and I had a doctor tell me that the GAS strains that cause scarlet fever do not cause rheumatic fever. So I emailed 2 top strep researchers, and they both said, no it is not that clear cut, that strains that can cause scarlet fever can also be rheumatogenic. This is important information, because strep is so common, and I know that everyone on this thread has been in support of abx for strep, but abx are not always benign. My ds had significant gut effects that I am still working on healing a year later after only one course of abx for strep. And he has had no other abx ever in his life.

So, can you tell me how I could find out how to be tested for the particular strain, because that would be really helpful for people to know. If one could avoid abx by knowing that info, that would be great. Strep throat is actually a self-limiting illness, and in most cases it will clear on its own in 7-10 days. The only reason they give abx for it is because there is the rare complication of rheumatic fever, though that rarely happens in the US anymore, and some postulate that it is because the strains here have gotten weaker. I don't know about that, but it is true that incidences of rheumatic fever were already declining before the availability of abx for strep.

However, the abx he is receiving is only a 5-day abx, with a double dose on the first day, and he has already likely had four doses, since the first dose was probably a loading dose. So, I would call your doctor and ask him what to do at this point, given that he's already had so much of the abx, but not all. That particular antibiotic stays in your system for a longer period of time than the cillins, which is why it can be given for a shorter duration.
#38 of 45 Old 01-13-2009, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
DD was strep A positive.
#39 of 45 Old 01-13-2009, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

We decided to continue the antibiotic while closely observing ds's rash/eczema. Fortunately it did NOT get worse after yesterday dose, it's actually a bit better now. Perhaps the rash was caused by the big Vitamin Cottage brand brownie (which had great ingredients, I must admit) which ds asked the day he broke out in the horrible rash (we were going to Vitamin Cottage anyway, so I bought it for him to make him feel better about taking the medicine; he ate it (all of it) right after taking the antibiotics). Or perhaps they gave his something in pre-school that day that triggered the rash and the eczema. So, we are good so far (knock on wood), just one dose left.

By the way, both of my kids still have this bad wet cough. Is it normal to still have it after 4 days of antibiotic (the last dose of the antibiotic is this evening)?

As far as me, after 3 days of antibiotic (dh and I started taking the medicine one day after the kids did) I still have a mild pain in my throat (just as much as I did before I started the antibiotic.
#40 of 45 Old 01-13-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:

As far as me, after 3 days of antibiotic (dh and I started taking the medicine one day after the kids did) I still have a mild pain in my throat (just as much as I did before I started the antibiotic.
I started taking penicillin last Thursday for my strep. I still had a very mild sore throat and pus on my tonsils on Saturday night. Sunday, the pus was gone and my throat was sore when I woke up. It got better throughout the day. Yesterday (Monday) I finally felt completely back to normal. So, it can take a while to clear completely.
#41 of 45 Old 01-13-2009, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebugsmom View Post
I started taking penicillin last Thursday for my strep. I still had a very mild sore throat and pus on my tonsils on Saturday night. Sunday, the pus was gone and my throat was sore when I woke up. It got better throughout the day. Yesterday (Monday) I finally felt completely back to normal. So, it can take a while to clear completely.

Good to know that. Thanks!
#42 of 45 Old 01-13-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
DD was strep A positive.
But there are many thousands of strains of GAS.
#43 of 45 Old 01-13-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
But there are many thousands of strains of GAS.
Right. And it's only a few serotypes that can cause rheumatic fever. I can't find the article I kept about this, but I'll keep looking for it.
#44 of 45 Old 01-13-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Right. And it's only a few serotypes that can cause rheumatic fever. I can't find the article I kept about this, but I'll keep looking for it.
Please do!! That is awesome, I would be so interested to know this. This is exactly what I was trying to find out, even tried emailing people who research strep, and I could not find this out. I think they just didn't want to tell me, oh yes, it's fine to not give abx, you know? Because then they'd be liable. Please let us know!!
#45 of 45 Old 03-13-2009, 02:19 PM

thought i would bump this and add this, but not sure if current tests that you'd get at your doctor's office specify M strains or not:

http://science.jrank.org/pages/5862/...tic-fever.html

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page