Strep. Kind of urgent question. UPDATE page 2, post#1 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 01-09-2009, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mamas,

I'm pretty upset now. I took my kids to a doctor (MD, but a very holistic one). He run a quick strep test on my daughter. The doctor said it came back "very positive". The reason I took her to the doctor is because she has been very congested for the past few days having huge difficulty sleeping. My son went through the same thing a couple of days before my dd. He is still pretty congested as well. I have a sore throat as well.

Anyway, while the doctor is holistic, he still said that I need to start both kids on Zitmomac (not sure about the spelling, his handwriting is very unclear) ASAP. The reason he thought it was necessary is because sometimes strep can cause them to develop a dangerous condition (forgot how it is called, he explained that the body starts attacking its own tissue which can be heart, kidneys...or something like that).

He also said that antibiotics will help with dd's congestion.

I hate antibiotics and not really sure if I should give it to them (he said to treat both simultaneously because ds is likely has been having the same thing). What do you guys think? Would you give your kids antibiotics in this situation.

Thanks in advance,
Yulia
#2 of 45 Old 01-09-2009, 08:53 PM

Is he talking about scarlet fever, maybe? Both of kids have had it and I think that there is something about possible heart problems? I think that's more along the lines of rheumatic fever, though...

I always do antiobiotics with strep, even though I don't use them on everything.

WOHM to DS11 and DD9, both T1Ds

#3 of 45 Old 01-09-2009, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALittleBitCrunchy View Post
Is he talking about scarlet fever, maybe? Both of kids have had it and I think that there is something about possible heart problems? I think that's more along the lines of rheumatic fever, though...

I always do antiobiotics with strep, even though I don't use them on everything.

I think he was talking about rheumatic fever.
#4 of 45 Old 01-09-2009, 11:09 PM

Since you have sore throat and your son does, I think you should both be tested and take abx if it's strep. I agree you should all be treated at the same time so it's not passed back and forth. Strep can develop into scarlet fever and then rheumatic fever if untreated which can damage the heart.
#5 of 45 Old 01-09-2009, 11:45 PM

I too "hate" antibiotics -- but am so thankful we have them in the case of STREP. It is *absolutely* the time to use antibiotics. You do not want to let it go untreated. And yes, everyone treating it at the same time would be helpful. You could have the test done on you and your son, but please know that those tests are not definitive. A quick test can come back negative, but a culture can come back in a couple days positive. I was told the quick test is about 80% accurate. If you or your son have fever, white spots/patches in your throat, then I'd say antibiotics are definitely called for in this case.
#6 of 45 Old 01-10-2009, 12:26 AM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenelle View Post
I too "hate" antibiotics -- but am so thankful we have them in the case of STREP. It is *absolutely* the time to use antibiotics. You do not want to let it go untreated.
:

Although I would only give them to the person who actually tested positive for it, personally. People have varying levels of immunity and strep resistance, so it is possible to have a family member with strep but not come down with it yourself. The "rapid" test is not entirely accurate (you could have a false negative), but the 24-hour test is really accurate.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#7 of 45 Old 01-10-2009, 12:58 AM

I'd take the antibiotics for strep. My grandma suffer with heart problems for many, many years (and die of congestive heart failure) due to having rheumatic fever as a child. I'm taking antibiotics for the first time in 15 years, and my 7 year-old dd is taking them for the first time ever since we tested positive for strep throat this week. Within a day of starting the antibiotics, we were both feeling nearly 100% healthy. They work well when they're truly needed.
#8 of 45 Old 01-10-2009, 01:09 AM

Strep can cause painful joint inflammation, in addition to rheumatic fever. I'd definitely use antibiotics for strep. You can take probiotics along with it to help re-populate your gut after the abx.
#9 of 45 Old 01-10-2009, 02:59 AM

I would say use the abx. The one time I had strep (in 2005) I was miserable (understatement) and the abx worked very quickly. When ds started getting sick two days later I took him in for the test right away. Strep is nothing to play around with after a positive test and it can be a living nightmare for the person who has it.
#10 of 45 Old 01-10-2009, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesmama View Post
I would say use the abx. The one time I had strep (in 2005) I was miserable (understatement) and the abx worked very quickly. When ds started getting sick two days later I took him in for the test right away. Strep is nothing to play around with after a positive test and it can be a living nightmare for the person who has it.
I agree. I have step right now and it is indeed a living nightmare. Seriously, I am in hell right now. I am so miserable. I have had three does of abx so far, and the doctor said I might not feel better until after the 4th. I am counting down the hours. I can't sleep, I can't breath, I can't swallow. I ended up at Urgent Care tonight getting IV fluids. So yes, give the abx for strep.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#11 of 45 Old 01-10-2009, 06:02 AM

I will echo the others. Start the antibiotics, and get everyone else at home tested for strep as well, because you will keep passing it back and forth if you don't. I wouldn't mess with strep.
#12 of 45 Old 01-10-2009, 08:39 AM

I agree. This is an instance in which one would take the abx.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#13 of 45 Old 01-10-2009, 11:45 AM

Get the antibiotics ASAP. Strep gets bad quick and you don't want your kids being that miserable. I still remember sitting on the couch and crying because it hurt so bad to swallow. I was spitting into a towel for 2 days because I couldn't swallow. I was 6 years old and it felt like torture. Please don't let your kids go through that.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#14 of 45 Old 01-10-2009, 04:40 PM

I agree. Treat it NOW.
#15 of 45 Old 01-10-2009, 05:01 PM

N/m

intactivist.gif  ribbonpb.gif RN student, bellycast.gif birth doula since 2006
#16 of 45 Old 01-11-2009, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Thank you, mamas. We started the whole family (since we are all sick by now with the same thing most likely) on antibiotics . Taking tons of probiotics and hoping for the best.
#17 of 45 Old 01-11-2009, 10:04 PM

It's been through our house already, you've got my sympathy.

Sending you healing vibes...
#18 of 45 Old 01-11-2009, 10:17 PM

Make sure you wait at least 6 hours between antibiotics and probiotics.
#19 of 45 Old 01-11-2009, 11:05 PM

And liquids, liquids, liquids! I refused to drink and ended up with an IV

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#20 of 45 Old 01-12-2009, 02:18 AM

I've had tons of experience with strep. One year I got it 6 times, it just kept cycling around the schools & in my family. Definitely take the antibiotics. Once the strep becomes bad enough to impede swallowing, it's too far gone to treat holistically. It will just keep getting worse. I remember once waiting so long before I got abx that I started hallucinating from the fever & pain. Not fun.

If I start getting that familiar tingle in the back of my throat, I eat tons of citrus and down lots of Emergen-C. There's also a sage treatment that consists of steeping a cup of fresh sage in 4 cups of boiled (as in was boiling & taken off the heat) water for 30 min. Drink 1/4c to 1/2 c 3 times a day. It is horrific tasting (like drinking pine sap) but it works REALLY well. If you're bf, I don't recommend it, since it will dry up your milk really quick.

Also, I've found, through countless trials, that to keep hydrating, just keep sipping water. The first swallow is always the worst. Hot liquids feel better too, so lots of hot cups of broth is good.

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#21 of 45 Old 01-12-2009, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

We are all taking Azithromicin.

My son seem to have an allergic reaction to the antibiotic . He broke out in this horribly red rush (kind of like cherry color) on his hips, butt and some on his stomach. Also few hours after he got the medicine yesterday he was complaining about a stomach ache. It was his third day. I am going to call the doctor today and will ask if I should stop giving him the antibiotic.

The antibiotic does not seem to help me at all, my throat that was almost fine at the day I started the medicine hurts much more today. I’ve been having mild headaches soon after taking the antibiotic. DH and DD seem to be doing fine.

The whole thing is just depresing...
#22 of 45 Old 01-12-2009, 12:01 PM

I think your doctor was talking about necrotizing fasciitis which is caused by the Group A strep infection. This happened to a friend of mine. She had strep throat last winter and it got in body and she ended up on life support. They didn't think she was going to make it. Her heart was damaged and her kidneys shut down. After months in the hospital and rehab she recovered but she has long term side effects - all from strep. She was young and led a very healthy lifestyle which is probably why she survived. Take home message is strep is nothing to mess around with. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Let them sleep in the middle, Let them be little
#23 of 45 Old 01-12-2009, 12:19 PM

My advice - stop the antibiotic immediately for your DS and give him benedryl around the clock until the rash clears up. My DS had an allergic reaction to amoxicillin and the doc said the reaction can continue to build over time and can turn anaphylactic at any time. Yikes!

Laurie Busy mama to Boo (10/02) DeeDa (10/04) and Belly (10/07) TS 45X
#24 of 45 Old 01-12-2009, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieG View Post
My advice - stop the antibiotic immediately for your DS and give him benedryl around the clock until the rash clears up. My DS had an allergic reaction to amoxicillin and the doc said the reaction can continue to build over time and can turn anaphylactic at any time. Yikes!
Thank you for the support. I was just about to call the doctor to tell him about the reaction and inform him that I'm going to stop the medicine with DS.
#25 of 45 Old 01-12-2009, 12:37 PM

perhaps he's allergic to PCN- I have to take a non penicillin when I have infections.

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :
#26 of 45 Old 01-12-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yulia_R View Post
We are all taking Azithromicin.

My son seem to have an allergic reaction to the antibiotic . He broke out in this horribly red rush (kind of like cherry color) on his hips, butt and some on his stomach. Also few hours after he got the medicine yesterday he was complaining about a stomach ache. It was his third day. I am going to call the doctor today and will ask if I should stop giving him the antibiotic. (
You can get a rash with an antibiotic without it being an allergic reaction. This happened with my son. He got an amoxicillin rash but I reluctantly kept giving him the antibiotic and the rash cleared up.

Let them sleep in the middle, Let them be little
#27 of 45 Old 01-12-2009, 04:10 PM

I would stop the antibiotic and go with the benedryl. I am allergic to two kinds of ABX and they both cause red rashes.

#28 of 45 Old 01-12-2009, 04:19 PM

If he tested positive for strep, the doctor will most likely tell you to stop giving THAT abx and write a prescription for a different one. He still needs something and I doubt 3 doses did anything but make the bacteria stronger.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#29 of 45 Old 01-12-2009, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyflakes View Post
I would stop the antibiotic and go with the benedryl. I am allergic to two kinds of ABX and they both cause red rashes.
benedryl doesn't treat Strep, does it?

I have a concern. If I stop antibiotic now, after just 3 doses (instead of 5) that the strep will come back. And after we treated the entire family to avoid this very thing I'm really torn as far as what to do now...
#30 of 45 Old 01-12-2009, 04:31 PM

If you stop a course of antibiotics once they are started then that just makes the bacteria stronger. Strep throat can really cause some major complications if left untreated.

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page