I just don't feel well, and don't know what to do. (Long) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-15-2009, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I have adrenal fatigue (and possibly some other things, but who knows).

I feel like I'm completely on my own. I have to figure this out all by myself and then bring my doctor the info to pinpoint what I need. Get another doctor you say? Sounds good but I don't think I've ever had a doctor EVER who would sit me down and ask me in detail what I'm eating, what I'm feeling - and then ask me followup questions like "I see you had a serious but unidentified illness at age 2 that could have been Reyes - do you have any of "these" symptoms today?"

I'm a smart person... or am when I feel half decent... but I resent having to be my own doctor when supposedly I should be able to hire one. I wouldn't expect/want to hand over total responsibility, that's not what I mean, but I want an EXPERT who knows more than I do, not someone who is just going through the motions without really thinking about it. My doc ordered an echocardiogram, for instance, and I just knew that my heart was fine. Surprise, it turned out fine. He didn't ask me beforehand obvious questions like, do you find yourself huffing and puffing when doing anything moderate like climbing stairs? And such. My family lost $1000 last year (my deductible) because of the stupid tests he ordered without any real rhyme or reason. And now I have absolutely nothing to show for it.

I resent it because it's going to take me a lot of time to play detective, whereas I should be able to hire a doctor who will figure it out much more quickly. Not to mention the energy I have to put into it when I'm very low on energy as it is. And not to mention the wasted $1000 (plus copays) which my family really needs.

I don't even know what I'm looking for. I just feel really alone. And though I look fine and don't have anything most people would consider "real" problems (pain or whatever) I feel every minute of the day like "something's wrong! I shouldn't feel like this!"

I am eating very well now (IMHO) but can't get it together to exercise. (I can't even fold the laundry...). I am trying to figure out what supplements I might need for adrenal fatigue but I'm not sure where to start and reluctant to buy stuff through Internet hawkers without fully understanding what I'm doing and why.

Anyone BTDT? Or have suggestions?

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2009, 02:07 PM

I know exactly what you are talking about. THAT IS WHY I HAVE BECOME MY OWN DOCTOR and I feel great about it. It has given me a lot of self confidence to boot.

You are unique. Your individual little pile of atoms is YOU and there is no one in the world who knows how 'YOU' feels except you. So, you have to look at this individual and analyze it and take care of it.

What I have learned is that there is no cure like nutrition. Nothing comes even close. I invest all may money that I would spend on doctors, on super healthy nutrition and I feel I am still way ahead. Besides I feel great and btw, I am past 60 now.

Start with nutrition. Get to the very bottom of it. I know you said you eat well, but improve on that. Most importantly is that you make sure there is nothing in your diet that contains MSG or Aspartame. Those two things are pure POISONS.

Aspartame is not just in diet food. It is in over 9000 food items and medicines. And MSG is disguised in many different ways and under a variety of names. Those are the things you have to avoid to start feeling better.

http://tuberose.com/Aspartame.html
Old 01-15-2009, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti View Post
I know exactly what you are talking about. THAT IS WHY I HAVE BECOME MY OWN DOCTOR and I feel great about it. It has given me a lot of self confidence to boot.

You are unique. Your individual little pile of atoms is YOU and there is no one in the world who knows how 'YOU' feels except you. So, you have to look at this individual and analyze it and take care of it.

What I have learned is that there is no cure like nutrition. Nothing comes even close. I invest all may money that I would spend on doctors, on super healthy nutrition and I feel I am still way ahead. Besides I feel great and btw, I am past 60 now.

Start with nutrition. Get to the very bottom of it. I know you said you eat well, but improve on that. Most importantly is that you make sure there is nothing in your diet that contains MSG or Aspartame. Those two things are pure POISONS.

Aspartame is not just in diet food. It is in over 9000 food items and medicines. And MSG is disguised in many different ways and under a variety of names. Those are the things you have to avoid to start feeling better.

http://tuberose.com/Aspartame.html
Thanks. I guess I have to get over the resentment. I feel like it's going to take me months or years to really figure it out, and wish I could have a solid lead within a few weeks with an expert.

I agree on nutrition being a big deal, and I have been focusing on that. In your opinion, how long does it take for nutrition to "catch up" with you - i.e. help you feel better? I've been cooking almost all from scratch for a few months, and quit all sugar (except fruit) for 3 weeks now (and that's going to be a realistic commitment for me to keep long-term).

I'm as sure as I can reasonably be that I don't eat aspartame because I look at labels a lot, plus in the last month or so have been cooking entirely from scratch. And don't use medicines. MSG has indeed passed my lips from time to time, but again not at all in the last few months since I've been cooking.

Instinctively I feel that cane sugar (and HFCS etc) are hard on my body. So I am in the process of moving beyond my very serious addiction to it. I've quit it 100 times in the last few years but only for a few days. This time absolutely feels different; it feels like the time I quit 5 years ago and stayed off it for a year. Now I know better than to let myself fall off the wagon again.

I don't expect instant results, but just an idea. Maybe 6 months to start to notice feeling a bit better, for example?

Old 01-15-2009, 03:26 PM

I know what you mean by the resentment. I want a partner in my healthcare who understands me and my family, but no one like that exists, at least not that I know of. I've been to a lot of practitioners, both alternative and allopathic, and I'm tired of spending money chasing cures.

MDC has by far been my best source of information. What I've found here was the basis, and then, I researched from here into medical studies, alternative modalities, etc.

I'm not sure of your story, but if you posted your health issues, would it be beneficial for us to all brainstorm with you?
Old 01-15-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post

I agree on nutrition being a big deal, and I have been focusing on that. In your opinion, how long does it take for nutrition to "catch up" with you - i.e. help you feel better? I've been cooking almost all from scratch for a few months, and quit all sugar (except fruit) for 3 weeks now (and that's going to be a realistic commitment for me to keep long-term).
What supplements are you taking? For healthy people, food sources are best, but when your nutrient stores are so depleted, supps are good, imo. What about Vit C, CLO, probiotics, Vit D, etc.?
Old 01-15-2009, 03:46 PM
Dia

Quote:
I think I have adrenal fatigue (and possibly some other things, but who knows).

I feel like I'm completely on my own. I have to figure this out all by myself and then bring my doctor the info to pinpoint what I need. Get another doctor you say? Sounds good but I don't think I've ever had a doctor EVER who would sit me down and ask me in detail what I'm eating, what I'm feeling - and then ask me followup questions like "I see you had a serious but unidentified illness at age 2 that could have been Reyes - do you have any of "these" symptoms today?"

Anyone BTDT? Or have suggestions?
Bolding mine. This is exactly what any ND I have seen has done. Do you have access to Naturopathic physicians where you are? Their approach, in my experience, has been what you seem to be looking for.

Mama to one amazing ecbaby2.gif
Old 01-15-2009, 03:54 PM

When I was struggling with severe undiagnosed adrenal fatigue I remember that feeling overwhelmed and bitter about my inadequate medical care were symptoms! I know that sounds strange - but part of AF can be feeling like this.
Trying to research and dig for answers while suffering sever brain fog was a nearly insurmountable task. I would encourage you to take steps to support your adrenals:
Good diet w/ adequate protein every couple hours
Vit C
Celtic sea salt in water
Adequate sleep
Some type of adrenal support
Nettle leaf infusions are very nourishing to adrenals.

I would not waste another dime on doctors. I would order a 24 hour saliva test kit for testing cortisol levels and do it myself - that way you will know for sure what kind of shape your adrenals are in and you can decide how to proceed.
canaryclub.org is where I ordered my test. I didn't need a physician.

Good luck, I know how frustrating this can be!

fp
Old 01-15-2009, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

I'm willing to post my symptoms, sure. This won't be totally organized, I'm afraid. I'm putting down anything I can think of, even if I have no idea if it's related or even a problem.

Current issues. Not a really impressive list, and it all really is just ONE issue, but still not feeling good.
  • Overall feeling overwhelmed by small issues. Low physical and mental energy. Constantly saying to myself "I just don't FEEL well!"
  • Anxiety when under moderate pressure or stress (such as a work deadline). Probably feels like fight-or-flight, so I suspect adrenal fatigue.
  • Crankiness (not all the time but I think some is related to not feeling well)
  • I've turned into a shut-in. Have trouble getting dressed. Hardly ever go out of the house (I work from home). Some of that is winter-related and even financial - there's nowhere to go, at least without spending money.

Recent issues.
  • In April 2008 had a serious flu-like illness (probably virus). 3 days of fever, then relapse. Was actually sick for 3 full weeks (not just the residual nose-blowing but feeling fine kind of thing, but actually needing to be in bed kind of sick).
  • Shortly after that, a host of additional symptoms appeared. First, hypotension. Once passed out when I stood up. Had this as a teenager as well. It's resolved for now.
  • Extreme fatigue. To the point where I could barely hold my head up. Did not have the energy to have a conversation with my DH. Sometimes could do no more than sit/lie there. I may have minor fatigue now but it's nothing like that; I was absolutely non-functional. Thank GOD I've gotten better than that. This was AFTER I recovered from the viral illness.
  • Suicidal thoughts, but all of them leading to the conclusion that I couldn't do it. Probably related to the extreme fatigue. I thought my life was over.
  • I have ALWAYS been very sensitive to medications and alcohol, but after the fatigue was over, I noticed for a few months much more extreme sensitivity. I wonder if liver-related. I usually can tolerate, say, 1/3 of a beer without ill effects (though I WILL get a little bit drunk on that little beer) but during this period a single sip would give me a nasty headache. No, I don't drink, I'm just referring to visiting someone's house once and being offered a little wine. And I noticed that I instinctively FELT the sensitivity for months after, though I never tested it.
  • Noticeable congnitive and memory reduction. I'm better now but I think I'm still not in my previous top form.

Past history.
  • As teenager, had a lot of similar symptoms. Hypotension, stress-related anxiety (unable to cope with moderate stress like schoolwork), sensitivity to alcohol and medicines.
  • Hospitalized at age 15 when I was home for school break and passed out in my parent's house. I would then come to and try to get up to go to the bathroom but passed out every time I sat up. Eventually had a seizure. Ambulance called. Was fine within 2 days but they kept me for 3 weeks and ran every test known to God. My mother mentioned last week that they indeed suspected adrenal issues but she said that they didn't find anything (probably was a blood test not saliva).
  • At age 2 I had another serious unknown illness. As I understand it, it looked like the flu initially, but I was much more sick than I should have been. Unresponsive, unable to stand or speak. I just laid there (conscious but nonfunctional). Not sure how high my fever was, but I think either it was high and/or they couldn't get it down. I could not eat or drink (for days). My mother says my doctor prepared her for the possibility I would die (as the mother of a daughter myself I only now know what she was going through). Reyes was considered but I guess either ruled out or just didn't quite fit. Never had a dx on that one either.

Other
  • Arthritis in hips and knees. It started after I was sick when I was 2. I don't have it all the time, but it seems every couple of years I have an inflammation that lasts for a month or two. Sometimes I even walk with a cane during inflammations. Last inflammation was when I was sick in summer 2008. No inflammation or pain currently.
  • Uticaria pigmentosa/Mastocytosis/Mast Cell Disease. Also dx I think after my hosptialization at age 2.
  • Usher's Syndrome - I don't feel this is related but you never know. This syndrome is basically a genetic marker for deafness and blindness. I have been hearing impaired since birth, and have a degenerative eye disease (retinitis pigmentosa) that will probably render me completely blind in the next 20-40 years. (Thankfully the hearing issue isn't degenerative).

I've considered:
  • Lyme (tested negative)
  • Epstein-Barr
  • Thyroid issues (don't know my TSH but doc said it was fine.. but yes understand that it might actually not be fine)
  • Adrenal fatigue
  • Liver problems

I think I've forgotten stuff, but hey, one of my symptoms is less than ideal mental functions! I'll come back if I think of more later. Bless you if you weren't bored by all of that.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:04 PM

Gosh, sure sounds like adrenals to me!
https://sites.google.com/site/natura...adrenal-health

Even the reclusive behavior and psychological stuff.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

I'm reading answers (including a few posts I missed while I was writing my long one) but remembered a biggie. Not a symptom but a trigger.

Severe lack of sleep. For 3 years, I coslept with DD, and she would nurse every hour or 2. It was hell. I was averaging about 5 hours of sleep a night - which isn't SO bad except it went on for 3 years!

Fortunately that's resolved now and I believe it's THE reason that I feel better than I did last summer (i.e. fatigue is comparatively mild now, etc.). I get an average of 9 solid hours of undisturbed sleep a night now. I STILL get extremely tired, though; seems like I'm still catching up. I often nap during weekends on TOP of the nighttime sleep.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannieP View Post
I would not waste another dime on doctors. I would order a 24 hour saliva test kit for testing cortisol levels and do it myself - that way you will know for sure what kind of shape your adrenals are in and you can decide how to proceed.
canaryclub.org is where I ordered my test. I didn't need a physician.
I'm getting ready to do this. Your post helped. I just seem to want to feel certain this is the best next step, because I've run out of money to just spend here and there. I read somewhere that mineral hair analysis is supposed to be the thing, but I'm leaning toward the saliva.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:07 PM

I would recommend seeing a classical homeopath. Homeopathy heals, it doesn't just seek a diagnosis, or "test" for things. They LISTEN and connect the dots between the mind/body/spirit. All of the fatigue and reclusiveness can be addressed effectively.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Instinctively I feel that cane sugar (and HFCS etc) are hard on my body. So I am in the process of moving beyond my very serious addiction to it. I've quit it 100 times in the last few years but only for a few days. This time absolutely feels different; it feels like the time I quit 5 years ago and stayed off it for a year. Now I know better than to let myself fall off the wagon again.

I don't expect instant results, but just an idea. Maybe 6 months to start to notice feeling a bit better, for example?

IMO this is the best place to get help and understanding. Not only here on MDC, but on the Internet. You do your own research. But I would suggest to you to lean toward natural things, healthy foods, avoiding all toxins, and maybe not researching so much into WHAT disease it might be. Instead, concentrate on when you feel good and why.

When I first stated to really eat healthy it was a gradual thing. Within about 3 months I noticed that I had a lot more energy and it stayed. That was many years ago. Maybe 15. We have eaten super healthy almost 100% of the time. We don't ever eat out. I cook every single day because I want to know exactly what goes into my meal.

But every once in a great while I get something (visiting someone) that I know I should not have had but it is never an excuse to keep eating poorly. It makes me all the more determined to eat healthy. So, it doesn't take long to get it out of my system again and get my engergy back up.

But to start out with you have to be consident for at least 3 months. At least.

Serrapeptase enzyme is supposed to be very good to eliminate sugar cravings. Maybe that would help you? I have never tried it but have read about it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serrapeptase
Old 01-15-2009, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti View Post
IMO this is the best place to get help and understanding. Not only here on MDC, but on the Internet. You do your own research. But I would suggest to you to lean toward natural things, healthy foods, avoiding all toxins, and maybe not researching so much into WHAT disease it might be. Instead, concentrate on when you feel good and why.

When I first stated to really eat healthy it was a gradual thing. Within about 3 months I noticed that I had a lot more energy and it stayed. That was many years ago. Maybe 15. We have eaten super healthy almost 100% of the time. We don't ever eat out. I cook every single day because I want to know exactly what goes into my meal.

But every once in a great while I get something (visiting someone) that I know I should not have had but it is never an excuse to keep eating poorly. It makes me all the more determined to eat healthy. So, it doesn't take long to get it out of my system again and get my engergy back up.

But to start out with you have to be consident for at least 3 months. At least.

Serrapeptase enzyme is supposed to be very good to eliminate sugar cravings. Maybe that would help you? I have never tried it but have read about it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serrapeptase
Yes, I'm concentrating on what I think I instinctively need, but I also like to understand more since I don't always have enough information to understand what my body is telling me. So I do plan to get the saliva test and study up on what's specifically good for the adrenal glands. (ETA: as an example of instincts, I am a 9 year vegetarian who decided to start eating pastured, local meat just because I think that's what's right for me).

I am cooking 95% or more from scratch.

Visiting my mother really messes me up. Long story. I love my mother but she has major issues about making me eat sugar (and yes I know how that sounds... she can't "make" me etc but it IS crazy).

Fortunately my sugar cravings are eliminated already. I'm nearly 4 weeks into quitting sugar 100% (and it's the first week that's the hardest of course). I know 4 weeks isn't long enough to detox but it's long enough for me to have new habits. Honestly if someone put a sundae right in front of me, I'd have problems, but it's out of my life and I'm not sitting there thinking MUST... HAVE ... SUGAR ... NOW like I used to. Last time I did it, it took 6 or 8 weeks for me to notice bodily changes after quitting sugar. I look forward to it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannieP View Post
Gosh, sure sounds like adrenals to me!
https://sites.google.com/site/natura...adrenal-health

Even the reclusive behavior and psychological stuff.
I read this link. I have every single symptom except the menopausal issues (I'm only 32) plus I couldn't honestly answer about the sugar cravings (since I'm a lifelong sugar addict). Other than that, everything was one big CHECK, yeah I got that bigtime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
I would recommend seeing a classical homeopath. Homeopathy heals, it doesn't just seek a diagnosis, or "test" for things. They LISTEN and connect the dots between the mind/body/spirit. All of the fatigue and reclusiveness can be addressed effectively.

Pat
I'm interested. I think due to financial considerations I will get the adrenal saliva test done without seeing a homeopath. But later if I don't feel like I'm getting better, that might be my next step. If money was no concern, I'd be looking at the phone book right now. SIGH. #$@ insurance industry. Won't cover a homeopath or natropath.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:15 AM

Don't have much time to respond, but wanted to pass along this info...

I went years not knowing what was wrong with me, and docs said I was perfectly healthy. I had a lot of similar symptoms as you. I gave up on docs and did my own research and evaluations. It sounds like you have a candida problem. It can cause a million different problems. You can do some research here www.wholeapproach.com and take the questionnaire. I went on the diet on that website for a year (complete with all the supplements) and I definitely did get better. However, I wasn't healed and I felt like I really needed something different. So, I found a different appraoch which is the 80/10/10 diet (Dr. Doug Graham) and I have been doing this for 5 weeks. I have seen more improvements overnight on this diet than I did the entire year on the "candida" diet. However, I don't think I would have been able to handle eating this way unless I had had the discipline of eating the candida diet for the past year. Now I'm totally a low-fat vegan raw foodist and have so much energy it is amazing! My health problems are mostly gone, and the rest are quickly dissappearing. My memory and my relationships have overnight become incredible. I have been able to stop taking narcotics that I took every day for the past 10 years for chronic pain. It is like I was sleeping for the past 10 years, and now I'm alive again!

You can find all this info online, and Dr. Graham has a book called the 80/10/10 diet. There are online forums to support you. Look into it and consider it. It is worth getting your life back! (and no, I"m not selling anything, and neither is Dr. Graham - there are no supplements, you just eat really healthy!)
Old 01-16-2009, 05:41 AM

It sounds to me like Adrenal and/or Candida. There is a yahoo group for candida that is very helpful ...
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/candidasupport/
It's all based on this womens site, and she also answers questions on the yahoo group. http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/index.php
Here's a link to the symptom page..
http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com...es/cabout3.php

I'm starting her program and so far just in cutting out sugars (fruit juices, and fruits), and cutting back on carbs my head is clearer. You may have other issues going on but a healthy diet free of junk can only help. I wish you the best, I know what it feels like to be overwhelmed and not able to handle anything.

User Tag List