Burdock while breastfeeding? What about little ones? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-20-2009, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
A friend gave me some burdock, and she says that my boys and I should add some to our soup, since we're all sick. From what I've read, it's contraindicated in breastfeeding and pregnancy, but I can only find back up information for the pregnancy part. Does anyone know if it's safe to take while breastfeeding? Also, DS2 is 14 months; is it safe for him?

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#2 of 5 Old 01-21-2009, 12:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow, I've never heard anything about eating burdock during pregnancy or breastfeeding. Here in Japan it is a very common food and generally known as a healthy food. . .in season, it's served daily in most homes.

Here's a site that says it's okay, even recommended during pregnancy

Another one that says it's okay during pregnancy

Another thing I found: "Burdock root—It is an aperient: A mild stimulant for the bowels; a gentle purgitive.
It is a cholagogue: An agent for increasing the flow of bile into the intestines.
It is a diaphoretic: An agent that promotes perspiration.
It is a diuretic: An agent that increases the secretion and expulsion of urine.

Burdock root contains arctiin, biotin, copper, essential oils, inulin, iron, manganese, sulfur, tannins, zinc, vitamins B1, B6, B12, and E.

It purifies the blood, restores liver and gallbladder function, and stimulates the immune system. Helps skin disorders such as boils and carbuncles and relieves gout symptoms.

Burdock root, dandelion, ginger, and nettle enrich mother’s milk"

When researching, it seems most of the sites that do mention burdock being contraindicated during breastfeeding or pregnancy are talking about an overdose using powdered burdock or burdock tea. If you are putting it in soup, are you talking about the fresh vegetable burdock (long, thin, sticklike vegetable usually pretty dirty here in Japan) or are you talking about putting some powdered burdock in the soup? I personally would think the vegetable would be fine (especially since it is eaten so often here by older babies, toddlers, children, adults, elderly) but I might be wary of the powdered form that might be in higher concentration.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#3 of 5 Old 01-21-2009, 02:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemom2 View Post
Wow, I've never heard anything about eating burdock during pregnancy or breastfeeding. Here in Japan it is a very common food and generally known as a healthy food. . .in season, it's served daily in most homes.

Here's a site that says it's okay, even recommended during pregnancy

Another one that says it's okay during pregnancy

Another thing I found: "Burdock root—It is an aperient: A mild stimulant for the bowels; a gentle purgitive.
It is a cholagogue: An agent for increasing the flow of bile into the intestines.
It is a diaphoretic: An agent that promotes perspiration.
It is a diuretic: An agent that increases the secretion and expulsion of urine.

Burdock root contains arctiin, biotin, copper, essential oils, inulin, iron, manganese, sulfur, tannins, zinc, vitamins B1, B6, B12, and E.

It purifies the blood, restores liver and gallbladder function, and stimulates the immune system. Helps skin disorders such as boils and carbuncles and relieves gout symptoms.

Burdock root, dandelion, ginger, and nettle enrich mother’s milk"

When researching, it seems most of the sites that do mention burdock being contraindicated during breastfeeding or pregnancy are talking about an overdose using powdered burdock or burdock tea. If you are putting it in soup, are you talking about the fresh vegetable burdock (long, thin, sticklike vegetable usually pretty dirty here in Japan) or are you talking about putting some powdered burdock in the soup? I personally would think the vegetable would be fine (especially since it is eaten so often here by older babies, toddlers, children, adults, elderly) but I might be wary of the powdered form that might be in higher concentration.
Thanks for the info! Sorry for being so vague; what I have is dried burdock root. Off to do some reading!

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#4 of 5 Old 01-21-2009, 01:39 PM

I felt very comfortable using burdock root throughout my pregnancies and lactation.
You can also use it topically as a skin wash.
Good stuff!
http://sites.google.com/site/herbindex/burdock-root

fp
#5 of 5 Old 01-22-2009, 12:30 AM

I ate burdock while BF and pregnant.

Dried burdock, however, might make me hesitate if you are having any milk supply issues.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page