Flower Essences Support Thread - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 204 Old 01-21-2009, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I feel like there should be a separate flower essences thread in H&H so here it goes.

I'm still reading up, but here are the some of my bookmarks:
Giant FE/Homeopathy thread in Spirituality
Bach Flower Essences
Flower Photo Gallery

Let's keep this thread to the practical application of FEs.

I'm going to pull the list of recommended books out of that giant thread, but I'm a little busy atm. So, if anyone else wants to go for it, you're totally welcome.
#2 of 204 Old 01-21-2009, 07:01 PM

Cool idea, I'm pretty new to it, but it seemed to help my husband with his unremitting tiredness (and he didn't really understand what it was for, he's just very willing to humor me if I say "Take this at least 4x every day") so I'm all for learning more. (and subbing)
#3 of 204 Old 01-21-2009, 09:35 PM

I accidently put my flower essenceds opn top of my clock radio. Does anyone know if this is going to have a negative effect on them? I'm sick over this. thanks Candis
#4 of 204 Old 01-21-2009, 10:47 PM

subbing..

I'm just starting to learn about essences. I also just started homeopathy, and my homeopath would prefer me not to use essences for a while, but after a rough day yesterday I think I need a little help emotionally to get through my healing.

I have Rescue Remedy, and I just went out today and got some Pine. I'm hoping to slowly add to my collection, because I have a list that I think could be helpful for me.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#5 of 204 Old 01-22-2009, 01:35 AM

I'm still reading through the giant thread in spirituality, and just found this link that might be helpful on this thread:

http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/...lowerQuiz.html

I did the first and second quiz, and it gave me:

Sweet Chestnut
Pine
Wild Oat
Mustard
Beech

Which is really interesting, because the ones that I had picked out myself were:

sweet chestnut
gentian
pine
beech
vervain
wild oat

I bought Pine today because I feel like it's the most important one for me to start with... and I can't afford to buy more than one at a time.

#6 of 204 Old 01-22-2009, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Bach flower remedies in Dr. Bach's words:

http://www.bachflower.com/38_Essences.htm

I need to look at that quiz.
#7 of 204 Old 01-23-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
I'm still reading through the giant thread in spirituality, and just found th
I bought Pine today because I feel like it's the most important one for me to start with... and I can't afford to buy more than one at a time.
You could always buy them preblended!
#8 of 204 Old 01-24-2009, 06:35 PM

Just found this thread! I posted on the monster in Spirituality, but this is probably more appropriate, although I love the spiritual aspect!

I ordered a kit from FES and it arrived Monday! I've been so busy with it and some other things that I haven't been on the computer much at all. I have made a blend for my son and one for my mother. I will work on one for my husband, and the receptionist at my chiro wants one too! I use my crystal/pendulum to determine which essences to use..I am absolutely in love with my crystal!

I have a question about water - I bought some spring water before thinking about it being in a plastic jug. I used that anyway for one blend, thinking it was preferable to water from the fridge with a VERY old filter. We have since replaced the filter. Which water would you recommend? (My crystal has been a bit equivocal about this, meaning I may not be asking the right questions.)

Also, any rec for where to buy dropper bottles? I found some glass bottles at a local compounding pharmacy, but the droppers are plastic.
#9 of 204 Old 01-24-2009, 06:59 PM

Hi mamas,

Very interesting topic. A friend had told me about these a while ago, but after reading more around here lately I decided to buy a few remedies. I have the Rescue Remedy cream and drops, and now I have bought Pine. I am wondering about how to take it and if it is ok to take while breastfeeding (I assume it is, just thought I would double check) as the info states:

Directions

2 drops in water and sip at intervals, or add to a 30ml mixing bottle containing water. Take 4 drops a minimum of 4 times a day.

Warnings
If pregnant or breastfeeding, ask a health professional before use.

So do I take 2 drops at a time or 4? 2 and then 2 within a short time, 4 times per day? I guess I'm easily confused Also, can I take this on an ED? Do I trial it like any food?

Lisa treehugger.gif married to DH bikenew.gifsince Aug 07 & mom to DS1 blahblah.gif  born May 08 and DS2 babyboy.gif born Nov 10 homebirth.jpg
#10 of 204 Old 01-24-2009, 07:16 PM

I was a little confused about the directions too... hoping someone can clarify.

#11 of 204 Old 01-24-2009, 08:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FnkyGreenMama View Post
Warnings
If pregnant or breastfeeding, ask a health professional before use.
This is a CYA thing. Bach Flowers manufactured by Nelson are classified as homeopathic --they are not, but it is a useful marketing tool because they can make claims other flower essences companies can't make.

As for how much to take, flower essences aren't like homeopathics, herbs or pharmaceuticals, it really doesn't matter how much you take or when. Generally a few drops (between 4 to 7) in water, under the tongue, in a bath or externally (pressure points, chakra points) is fine. As for how often, take it when you feel drawn to take it. At first you might want to take a remedy often, like a few times a day and then taper off. Flower essences are vibrational remedies, there is nothing physical in them with the exception of alcohol, so it you are okay with a few drops of alcohol then they should be fine. If it is an issue, use externally or in a bath.

Don't take the remedies just before or just after eating, leave at least 20 minutes, and as with homeopathic remedies, don't take it just after brushing your teeth. Strong aromas can also effect the essences. Keep them away from anything that emits EMFs, like computers, microwaves etc.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#12 of 204 Old 01-24-2009, 11:39 PM

Oh, fun, another place to discuss flower essences!

I started recently taking crab apple at the suggestion of my Ayurveda practitioner, which led me to the mega thread in Spirituality. After reading that whole thing, yep, I read it ALL! , I intuitively chose hornbeam on my own at the HFS. DD (age 7) seems drawn to the essences, so I let her pick one for herself at the HFS most recently. She chose vervain, which also seems to be spot-on for me. Like mother, like daughter?

I may just be in love with flower essences!!! We are having such great experiences from them. Even DH willing took them for a few weeks. DH & I seem to be to the point of only taking them once in awhile now whereas before we were taking them 2-4 times a day. DD is still taking her special blend I made her a few times a day on her own whenever she is drawn to them. I also let her use any of the single flower essences in a glass of water on her own whenever she wishes. I can see the effects very clearly in her and it is fascinating!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#13 of 204 Old 02-04-2009, 09:25 AM

Hi All! Has anyone had insomnia after taking Rescue Remedy? I gave it to my son this afternoon for the first time and this evening he had big trouble dropping off to sleep. Has anyone else had this experience? Of course it could have been something else.

It worked a treat though..........
#14 of 204 Old 02-04-2009, 09:37 AM

My guess is the insomnia was caused by something else-- I can't imagine why it would cause insomnia, unless it was some kind of reaction to the alcohol-- but it's so little.

~~~~

I love flower essences.

I started off with the Bach flower essences but have sense felt drawn to explore my local flower essences. I had a practitioner local to me make me a custom blend of some of our native local flowers and plants and I LOVE it.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#15 of 204 Old 02-04-2009, 09:59 AM

Thanks for that. I feel pretty sure that it wasn't it. It is his first day of school tomorrow and I think he was probably just excited/nervous. Thanks again!
#16 of 204 Old 02-11-2009, 01:22 AM

very interesting I did a quiz and got the following

CHESTNUT BUD

GENTIAN

HORNBEAM

MUSTARD

OLIVE

I have only tried Rescue Remedy
#17 of 204 Old 02-11-2009, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeymama View Post
I ordered a kit from FES and it arrived Monday! I've been so busy with it and some other things that I haven't been on the computer much at all. I have made a blend for my son and one for my mother. I will work on one for my husband, and the receptionist at my chiro wants one too! I use my crystal/pendulum to determine which essences to use..I am absolutely in love with my crystal!

Also, any rec for where to buy dropper bottles? I found some glass bottles at a local compounding pharmacy, but the droppers are plastic.
Where did you order your kit? What's FES stand for? I'd love to have a kit too. I am thinking that PB mentioned where to get a kit in the mega thread, but if you can just tell me that would be great.

We have those small amber glass dropper bottles at our local health food store. If you can't find them there, you can also order them online, from a place like Mountain Rose Herbs.

And, can you tell me how you use your crystal to pick them? I just started using the crystal and have been amazed by it. Do you have the person hold the bottle and do the crystal over their other arm? Or can you just ask the crystal out loud thinking of the person?
#18 of 204 Old 02-11-2009, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
Where did you order your kit? What's FES stand for? I'd love to have a kit too. I am thinking that PB mentioned where to get a kit in the mega thread, but if you can just tell me that would be great.

We have those small amber glass dropper bottles at our local health food store. If you can't find them there, you can also order them online, from a place like Mountain Rose Herbs.

And, can you tell me how you use your crystal to pick them? I just started using the crystal and have been amazed by it. Do you have the person hold the bottle and do the crystal over their other arm? Or can you just ask the crystal out loud thinking of the person?
Thanks for the tip on the bottles. I alsoo found some Bach bottles in a local "farmers market"/hfs for cheaper than I bought them at the pharmacy. Online would be even cheaper, but generally have to buy in bulk.

Anyway, FES is at http://www.fesflowers.com I bought the one she recommended - the $240 kit with 1/4 ounce bottles. And a book of Bach's writings. Heal Thyself is dense! I've moved to some other writings first.

As far as the crystal, I have done it just thinking about the intended recipient. PB and I talked a bit about it in the Spirituality forum thread near the end I think. I do have a list of the essences in front of me. I don't even have to ask out loud. It starts moving the moment I start thinking about the next essence! It's so wild!
#19 of 204 Old 03-22-2009, 12:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
oh i would love to talk about this with you all. i make mine and just love it. it just feels right.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#20 of 204 Old 03-22-2009, 01:04 AM

Fabulous thread, I'm really interested in this.
Any suggestions on a starting point? Rescue Remedy is really helpful for my family. Does anyone know if Bach Flowers are dogsafe?
#21 of 204 Old 03-22-2009, 12:01 PM

very dog safe. i give 5 flowers to my anxiety prone dog. it helps so much. but i think the dogs might be affected differently i.e faster because they have a "closer" connection to nature and their feelings then we do as humans.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#22 of 204 Old 03-23-2009, 02:59 AM

This might be silly but, would FE's be negatively effected(is this the right one?) by a salt lamp?

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#23 of 204 Old 05-14-2009, 05:19 PM

i'm resurrecting this thread bc i have sooooo many questions...
i've taken rescue remedy before with some success-i can never tell if it actually works or it the idea of it working. anyway, i got some rescue remedy sleep for dd (4 1/2 yo) yesterday. she is a TERRIBLE sleeper, night wakings, won't go to bed, won't stay asleep, belligerent, the whole nine, plus she is also very "spirited".
so, i got her the sleep stuff, sprayed it on her temples and then gave her the homeopathic remedies chamomilla and coffea cruda. she actually slept until from 10:30-3:30am without waking!! then she went back to sleep until i woke her at 9:20am!! now, i can't say which one of those things it was that worked, but i'm doing them all again, tonight:
my question is this, upon reading the bach website, i've found a couple other flower essences that i think would work for her, like:
Aspen-Fears and worries of unknown origin. Night wakings, Nightmares
Cherry Plum-When the child/teenager are in deep despair and feel like you are going to "lose it." Tantrums, out of control, want to hurt self or others
Chicory-When the child is manipulating and controlling. Whining, demanding attention
Mimulus-Fear of known things. Such as, fear of being alone, fear of spiders, fear of flying or fear of the dark. Shyness is also a known fear. Seperation anxiety
Vervain-For the child/teenager who is strong-willed and highly strung with minds that race ahead of events. Hyper active
White Chestnut-When the child/teenager's mind is cluttered with thoughts or mental arguments. The child/teenager may be unable to sleep because of the thoughts.
so how do i "prepare" them? do i purchase them all separate (not that i can necessarily afford to do this!!) and give them when the need arises? do i make a blend and give it to her daily (she has always been high-need and most of these essences "treat" her most common attributes)? do i really need all of these, or are some of these things part and parcel of being a four-and-a-half year old? what do i tell her when i give her the remedy? i want her to be able to learn how to control her emotions instead of me saying "you're having a tantrum, you need some cherry plum", but there are times i know her emotions get the better of her and she cannot control them. kwim? it's really hard to say what's par or the course, bc she has always been so challenging. reading other moms' stories here on mdc, sounds as though alot of us are in the same boat, but then again, couldn't we all use a little help? aargh!! so confusing.
please, anyone, feel free to chime in here...

Danielle, bf'ing, cd'ing, bw'ing, ap'ing, SAHM to DD Avery (12-1-04) blahblah.gif DS Linus (10-31-07)bouncy.gif and DD Nilah (9-17-11) babygirl.gif

always and forever remembering angel1.gif (6-9-10)

#24 of 204 Old 05-14-2009, 05:44 PM

Danielle, be careful, with the homeopathic pellets. You can not use them daily, like allopathic medication. Homeopathy is dose and frequency related and you can give 'too frequently', essentially, and cause a proving (worse symptoms).

With the Bach Flower remedies, I don't believe there is a "too much", basically. You can read more about selecting one or two remedies for different aspects. Check these remedy finder links to help you select which ones most speak to you. Then you could purchase just the ones which are most "right" for her. We purchase from Vitacost.com and I have a bunch. They run about $9 each. But, we use them individually and make mixtures regularly.

Another option, is to have a 'mixture' made up of just the ones you want. The mixture can last about a month or so, from my understanding, unless it has an alcohol base. Then, it will last much longer. The two drops of alcohol is safe and irrelevant, imo.

Another option is to have Panserbjørne to do a Flower Essence consult and she could send you a personal FE mixture. She has hundreds of different FEs and is very knowledgeable about the nuances between them. I'm not certain, but the consult is about $50 and the mixture about $15, I believe. It is cheaper than ordering a bunch of them that you'll only use a small amount of each!

http://www.ainsworths.com/remedy/default.aspx

http://www.bachcentre.com/centre/remedies.htm

http://www.bachflower.com/38_Essences.htm

Pat

I have a blog.
#25 of 204 Old 05-14-2009, 06:25 PM

Hi there!
The way I tend to do it is if there are ongoing complaints that have been present for a significant period of time I do make up a blend. During a consult we try to get to the bottom of things and determine what will be the most help right now. Then a blend is made which is given, generally daily. Results are most often seen immediately, but it can take some time to clear the patterns. It is not uncommon for deep patterns to be addressed over a period of months. All this means is that when you stop taking the flowers the issues might resurface, though in a gentler way. Then you simply take it again.

For acute things often taking them for 3-4 weeks is enough to clear things.

And as Pat said you can do a consult, or simply have the blend made up. IF too many essences apply and you are feeling confused then a consult can be helpful. If you are clear on what you want or even fell like you want to start with a few you've selected and see how that goes first then you can either get it made or purchase them individually yourself.

All I do is make up the blends in a one ounce bottle and add 5 or so drops of each essence to the bottle. I will add some alcohol if I know it is going to be used for a long period of time, but generally they are just in spring water. The only thing to note is if you are using RR as one of the essences in the blend you use twice as much. So 5 drops white chestnut, 5 drops chicory, 10 drops RR.

HTH!
#26 of 204 Old 05-15-2009, 12:11 AM

thank you both for your responses. i am trying to decide what to do next. i scheduled an appointment with my naturopath, and we'll see what he has to say. he also recommended hypnosis as a way to possibly handle dd's bedtime anxiety. i'm going to keep researching fes, though and hopefully order some or a blend soon!!

Danielle, bf'ing, cd'ing, bw'ing, ap'ing, SAHM to DD Avery (12-1-04) blahblah.gif DS Linus (10-31-07)bouncy.gif and DD Nilah (9-17-11) babygirl.gif

#27 of 204 Old 05-15-2009, 01:40 AM

I have a question- I have taken the quizes online I get a million suggestions; basically I need just about everything. (great, now I sound like a nut!!) What happens when you need everything?

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#28 of 204 Old 05-15-2009, 10:30 AM

Danielle, I'd look into allergies, environmental and food, and altered lifestyle issues, such as increased stressors or new caregivers/teachers/kids bullying... these can be associated with nightwakening, difficulty winding down, especially dairy (aggression and agitation) and wheat (restlessness and nightwakening).

Jojo, without looking at the remedies, select three or four words to describe what you are feeling and go from there. Or perhaps, post here for some guidance; or perhaps, consider a consult to have another perspective about the applicability of specific remedies for your situation.

Pat

I have a blog.
#29 of 204 Old 05-15-2009, 04:53 PM

pat,
thanks for all of the info. we've actually ruled out allergies/insensitivities, since dd has been like this since birth, only just more now that she's 4. thanks!!

#30 of 204 Old 05-15-2009, 06:39 PM

wooohooo! a second teachers asked for the five flower essence i make at d.s. school!he said "what me? stressed nahhh."

wooohooo i just had to share with someone and KNEW you all would understan d my glee.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page