after-NICU recovery suggestions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-23-2009, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My baby's going on 10 days in the NICU, and finally the end is in sight for us. I'm starting to think now about things I can do at home to mitigate a lot of the treatments that he was exposed to, including x-ray radiation, heavy antibiotics, sedatives, steroids, etc.

Here's what I'm going to line up:

Lots of seaweed dishes for me--the midwife said seaweed pulls radiation out of the body, so let's hope these constituents make it to breast milk...

Taking probiotics myself so that he gets it through my breast milk (to help his body build back antibodies)

Getting an accupuncturist to do a home visit and work on him (to strengthen his lungs, the reason he's in there to begin with, but could be used for a whole host of things)

Little physical therapies to get his muscle tone back up

Baby massage, at his speed, to get him reacquainted with gentle, loving touch

Bach flower remedies for me, again, that I hope will make it to my breast milk, to support his emotional readjustment

Anyone else have a suggestion, or something she tried that worked well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 01-23-2009, 11:44 AM

Very healthy, organic nutrition for you. Rest and quiet time. Little commotions and only one or two visitors at a time.

I would NOT do the acupuncture. jmho
#3 of 6 Old 01-23-2009, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd give the probiotics directly to baby (one meant for infants, I mean).

Seaweed is high in iodine, and it's one of the minerals that passes into breastmilk in fairly proportional levels to what mom consumes. Don't know how that would repair the stress of radiation, but I don't know much about that topic at all.
#4 of 6 Old 01-23-2009, 01:31 PM

Start with the "Healing The Gut- Cheat Sheet" at the top of the forum: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=434071

Pat

I have a blog.
#5 of 6 Old 01-23-2009, 01:51 PM

Read the study or studies on probiotics for colic. I'm not sure how you could pass probiotics through your breastmilk. I'd just give them directly, or put them on your breasts, which is getting them directly, or is rather, how babies are colonized by their moms' floras normally.
#6 of 6 Old 01-23-2009, 05:05 PM

I would focus on a healthy diet for you, and stay as relaxed as you can so that you can digest well and make sure you're baby's getting the most nutritional value from what you're eating, to support his immune system and his lung development. I would also do a lot of kangaroo care with him and you can probably bypass the bach flower remedies because i'm not sure that there's substantial research on those and nursing moms. I tend to just take a tiny bit when absolutely necessary. Not sure how old your baby is but the kangaroo care will help with the emotional piece and also help your baby not have to work as hard to regulate his breathing and temp.

Good luck! I know nicu stays are no fun, but it's so worth it when they're finally home

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page