What to do for dry, split, painful fingers - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-24-2009, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My fingertips are in constant pain. It looks as though I took a knife and sliced little cuts all around my finger nails and finger tips. It’s happened for years but used to happen more in the winter…now it is a year-round problem.

I wash my hands too much but have tried to cut back and use a very mild soap. I’ve tried lotions, vitamin E oil, olive oil, salves, calendula cream, I’ve even tried putting antibiotic ointment on at night because the throbbing can keep me awake. I’ve also tried drinking more water thinking I can hydrate from within. In the summer I wear surgical gloves when I work in the dirt and in the winter I try to protect my hands from the cold with gloves.

Any ideas? Besides being painful, it is ugly and gross. I’m also afraid I am susceptible to infection since I have these open little cuts and am touching things in public.

TIA
#2 of 10 Old 01-24-2009, 01:30 AM

I'm not to knowledgeable about this stuff but could it be fungal?
#3 of 10 Old 01-24-2009, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaKye View Post
I'm not to knowledgeable about this stuff but could it be fungal?
I never thought of that. It doesn't look swollen or discolored, just small cuts on the tips and sides of my fingers.
#4 of 10 Old 01-24-2009, 02:46 AM

We found the most interesting thing to get rid of the winter splits.
Lard. Plain and simple. I think the processed stuff should work pretty well, but the real stuff is ideal.
We use it on our feet all the time. THere is not a lotion or porion on the market that can compete.
Paula

Paula, wife to Steve, mother hen to 38 , busy doing : TTC after 6
#5 of 10 Old 01-24-2009, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaJoAnne View Post
We found the most interesting thing to get rid of the winter splits.
Lard. Plain and simple. I think the processed stuff should work pretty well, but the real stuff is ideal.
We use it on our feet all the time. THere is not a lotion or porion on the market that can compete.
Paula
Thank you for your response. But, as a vegetarian, I don't think I could bring myself to use lard.
Any non-animal based ideas?
#6 of 10 Old 01-24-2009, 03:15 AM

My family gets this bad in the winter.

We dip our fingers in white vinegar.

99% of the time it works.

If it didn't Mom would claim it was yeast and feed us probiotics.

Then that would work and it would go away until next year.

Most of the time it's fungal and vinegar works.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#7 of 10 Old 01-24-2009, 05:06 AM

Unrefined coconut oil is the next best thing. Its only 60% saturated, so you will need to use a bit more.
Add it to your diet too. Every cell in our bodies is 50% saturated, and keeping saturated fats out of the diet is quite hard on it.
Paula

Paula, wife to Steve, mother hen to 38 , busy doing : TTC after 6
#8 of 10 Old 01-24-2009, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

claddaghmom, I'll try the vinegar - although I'm afraid it will burn. It's strange you mention yeast. A friend who owns a HFS has been talking me into a yeast cleansing process. She thinks many of my health issues are related to yeast. I've bought the supplements and researched the needed dietary changes...I just haven't started the process. Maybe this is one more reason to try it.

PaulaJoAnne, I've heard wonderful things about coconut oil. I have a dumb question...I have a jar and it is completely solid. I tried a while back to spread it on my fingers throughout the day but it didn't seem to help. It was sort of gritty and greasy. Am I supposed to melt it first or do I have the wrong type of coconut oil?
#9 of 10 Old 01-24-2009, 03:35 PM

I second the coconut oil suggestion. Yes, it will be solid at cooler temps. I keep some in a jar in my bathroom that I sometimes set in warm water to get it so soften up and melt some while I take my shower.

I use virgin coconut oil, I would think that it works better than the refined. I get really dry cracked hands occasionally and virgin coconut oil is the only things that helps them heal. Another plus is that it doesn't make them sting.
#10 of 10 Old 01-24-2009, 05:46 PM

I have a weird dry cracking patch on some fingers that used to have poison ivy on them. After the PI healed, they just started getting dry and cracked really easily. When I supplement with B6, high amounts, it seems to make them way, way better.

Like you, I tried lots of other things, but nothing really worked. I tried coconut oil (externally and internally), I already do lots of fermented foods and probiotics, I have a diet high in saturated fat, and I don't have any yeast symptoms, but have done a yeast cleanse nonetheless.

I do have adrenal fatigue, so when the supplemental B6 seemed to help it, I went hmmmmm..... (B6 is an adrenal support)

HTH.

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page