Hypothyroidism in toddler - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-25-2009, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just looking over my dd's lab results from the ped gi visit last month and her TSH was 3.34. I see that the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists' guidelines indicate that this could be hypothyroidism. Can anyone tell me about hypothyroidism in children?

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#2 of 14 Old 01-25-2009, 09:03 PM

I just did a quick search and it seems some vaccine could be the cause.
#3 of 14 Old 01-25-2009, 09:32 PM

My daughter (15 months) had a TSH of 5.5 with a normal T4. They re-tested her a week later and her TSH was 7.4 so they started her on Synthroid. The Endocrinologist says she will not consider taking her off until DD is 2 1/2 at least. It is far worse to be hypothyroid and untreated then to be treating a toddler who doesn't need it.

FWIW, my dd has a genetic condition that predisposes her to hypothyroidism, though usually not at this age. It is very unusual for a child with no syndrome to develop hypothyroidism at this age. Generally it is congenital or you can develop it due to an autoimmune issue but this is far more likely to happen later in life.

The normal range values either have recently changed or are about to be - can't remember which. The old range was something like .5 - 5.0 and now it is going to be .3-3.0 (I believe - the exact values may be a bit different as I'm nak and basing this on memory only.

If your pedi hasn't suggested it I would push for a re-test if I were you.

Laurie Busy mama to Boo (10/02) DeeDa (10/04) and Belly (10/07) TS 45X
#4 of 14 Old 01-25-2009, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti View Post
I just did a quick search and it seems some vaccine could be the cause.
Luckily Gitti, we are a no vax family.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#5 of 14 Old 01-25-2009, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you LaurieG. She does have constipation (why we were at the ped gi) and she has not grown in height or weight since May, so she does have some symptoms that would fit with hypothyroidism. I will be having more testing done through our doc.

#6 of 14 Old 01-25-2009, 09:46 PM

With those sptoms and that tsh, she really needs to get treated with levothyroxine or some other form of thyroid asap. Once they're sympomatic, brain development is being affected.

That said, i'm only familiar with congenital hypothyroid, and would be curious and concerned as to its cause.
#7 of 14 Old 01-25-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emgremore View Post
Thank you LaurieG. She does have constipation (why we were at the ped gi) and she has not grown in height or weight since May, so she does have some symptoms that would fit with hypothyroidism. I will be having more testing done through our doc.
You're welcome. If you have any specific questions let me know - this is one thing I actually have a bit of knowledge on. Generally I feel like I'm always asking the questions.

You're dd is old enough now that brain development isn't such a big concern so hopefully that eases any anxiety you might have.

#8 of 14 Old 01-25-2009, 10:20 PM

Oh, I misread the age, sorry! Though the literature that I've read and our endocrinologist say that they consider it essential for brain development until age 3. But it's not a hard line.
#9 of 14 Old 01-25-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post
Oh, I misread the age, sorry! Though the literature that I've read and our endocrinologist say that they consider it essential for brain development until age 3. But it's not a hard line.
No, I agree that a baby who is 2 1/2 still needs to get diagnosed and treated with urgency. My point was that 2 1/2 is better than, say, a 2 month old going untreated. Sorry that was unclear.

#10 of 14 Old 01-25-2009, 11:53 PM

Absolutely.
#11 of 14 Old 01-26-2009, 12:45 AM

OP - I hope you don't mind me sticking my head in here to post in your thread!

Quote:
If you have any specific questions let me know - this is one thing I actually have a bit of knowledge on. Generally I feel like I'm always asking the questions.

You're dd is old enough now that brain development isn't such a big concern so hopefully that eases any anxiety you might have.
Laurie, since you offered...
My 8 yr old dd has a TSH of 3.41 and is already over 100 lbs. even though she eats really healthy food and gets plenty of exercise. I am worried about early puberty. MD says that's a normal TSH and won't consider thyroid supplementation even though her mother (me), her grandmother and both aunts all have thyroid disorders.
TSH = 3.41 (.3 - 5.5)
T4 = 1.18 (.9 - 1.8)
T3 total = 227 (70 - 170)

Any suggestions?

Frannie
#12 of 14 Old 01-26-2009, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannieP View Post
OP - I hope you don't mind me sticking my head in here to post in your thread!

Laurie, since you offered...
My 8 yr old dd has a TSH of 3.41 and is already over 100 lbs. even though she eats really healthy food and gets plenty of exercise. I am worried about early puberty. MD says that's a normal TSH and won't consider thyroid supplementation even though her mother (me), her grandmother and both aunts all have thyroid disorders.
TSH = 3.41 (.3 - 5.5)
T4 = 1.18 (.9 - 1.8)
T3 total = 227 (70 - 170)

Any suggestions?

Frannie
Just a couple of thoughts come to mind. Every lab has their own normal range. I'm assuming the #'s in parentheses are the lab norms for the lab you used. The T3 is really high compared to the range, but the range you list seems narrow compared to what I've read online. WebMD lists the T3 normal range for a child 83-280 so your dd's is right in that range. But to go by your lab norms she shows an elevated T3. T3, as I understand it, is generally considered to be a better indicator. But an elevated T3 would indicate hyperthyroid and her symptoms are all hypothyroid.

Regardless, I think the medical community is starting to realize that what has passed for normal in the past is really not okay and that is the reason for the tightening of the lab ranges.

My only advise would be to try a different doc - one more progressive or holistic in his/ her approach to thyroid issues. Or, if you really like your doc and don't want to change you could ask for either a re-test periodically or a check of thyroid antibodies to see if an autoimmune response is occuring.

One other thing I want to throw out there is this: every person seems to have his/ her own ideal level for thyroid levels. I'm on a forum for parents of children with congenital hypothyroidism and often mom's post about how their child's labs came back in a good range and they have to fight with the doc to get med changes. They can see in their children's behavior that the thyroid isn't working well but it doesn't show up in the lab work. I think its an easier fight to win if you are a parent of a child who has already been diagnosed. But it may be worth another conversation with your dd's doc. Everything I have heard from the other parents and also what I have read says thyroid hormones do not have side effects. The danger really is only that you will force a swing to the opposite, which is easy to recognize if you know the symptoms and easy to fix if it occurs. I wonder if your doc would go along with a Synthroid trial if you promised to call him at the first sign of your daughter turning hyper?

Good luck!

#13 of 14 Old 01-26-2009, 10:32 AM

FrannieP - I had another thought. My son's old pediatrician has had good success stalling early puberty in girls by recommending they switch to a vegetarian diet in order to limit exposure to growth hormones in food. I also know that thyroid tests can be inaccurate if a person is taking hormone replacement therapy. I wonder if the same could be true for some people who are sensitive to hormones in food?

#14 of 14 Old 01-26-2009, 12:31 PM

Thanks for the thoughtful reply Laurie. i appreciate the info.
Yes, the no.s in parentheses are lab ranges. I should've mentioned the t3 is a total t3 not a free.
With the insurance we have we are sort of stuck w/ our MD and he is not very open minded when it comes to trials. I am tempted to save up and take her to a ND.
I have a script for Armour that I'm not using... I'm very tempted to start her on a tiny bit do see if she responds.
I'm very careful to only buy meat w/o added hormones. I dread the thought of early puberty, but also am concerned about quality protein.
Thanks again for the response.
Frannie

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page