Dog hairs everywhere, concerned about our health - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-28-2009, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm wondering if it's a health hazard to be honest. Dog hairs are everywhere! It's driving me mad, she's only a small jack russell terrier yet she loses a huge amount of hair. I vacume the carpets daily or every other day of the entire home, I have a smaller hand held type vacume I use to get hairs off the sofas daily too. However they still seem to be around too much.

Sometimes I will see a dog hair floating in mine or my son's drinks!:Puke I find them in our food, inside the oven, in the sink, on towels, on the skin on our faces. :Puke I have even found dog hair inside my eye and very close to ds's eyes too. Also the dog never goes into my son's bedroom, yet because the hairs stick to clothing, I still find dog hairs inside his bed and on his pillows.

I'm worried this isn't good for our health. When at home my DS seems to be constantly snorting, and having mucus in the back of his nose which im guessing is caused by the dog hairs?

I love my dog to death, but im seriously becoming concerned and frustrated about this. Can anyone advise me please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 01-28-2009, 11:51 AM

How about getting one of those fancy combs the vet sells that help shedding? I'm assuming your dog as been to the vet to make sure all is well since excessive shedding can be a symptom.

Health wise, as long as your dog isn't sick, I figure you're ok. Then again I'm not an expert.

A weird aside: in Islam, dog saliva is considered impure, this is why Muslims don't let their dogs free reign of the house, and most choose not to have a dog.
#3 of 15 Old 01-28-2009, 12:07 PM

Dog and pet hair is supposed to help create less allergies in children who grow up with them -- just like dirt creates a better immune system. But I assume that would be only if your ds isn't already allergic to dog hair. I dunno...

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#4 of 15 Old 01-28-2009, 12:13 PM

Dog fur is not unhealthy, just annoying.

-Angela
#5 of 15 Old 01-28-2009, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

It would seem bad to breathe it in though, no?

I forgot to mention, we also get them in our mouths sometimes....ew! I just can't seem to control the sheer amount of them no matter how much cleaning I do.

I spoke to the vet and he just said try brushing her more...huh? That doesn't stop them falling out though does it.
#6 of 15 Old 01-28-2009, 01:41 PM

Brushing more removes the hair into the brush so it won't shed everywhere.
#7 of 15 Old 01-28-2009, 02:20 PM

that seems like a lot of hair to be shedding for a jack russel. We have german shepherds and its not that bad. Could it be the dog food your feeding. We had a slight problem at first and ended up taking our dog to the vet and it turns out it was his food. He needed a food that had certain ingredients to help keep the coat moisturized and reduced shedding, although our other dog was fine with the original food. We noticed a huge improvement within 2 wks. Would have never thought it to be the food we were feeding them.
#8 of 15 Old 01-28-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravebird View Post
Dog and pet hair is supposed to help create less allergies in children who grow up with them -- just like dirt creates a better immune system.
yes I had heard this too.

I think it's more of nuisance than anything to you. Brushing will help and sadly a lot more housework will too

But there is no health hazard.

and
#9 of 15 Old 01-28-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne2008 View Post

I forgot to mention, we also get them in our mouths sometimes....ew! I just can't seem to control the sheer amount of them no matter how much cleaning I do.
Nah- not dangerous. Just annoying.

-Angela
#10 of 15 Old 01-28-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne2008 View Post

I spoke to the vet and he just said try brushing her more...huh? That doesn't stop them falling out though does it.

We have a brush called a Furminator (it's been mentioned on the boards before). It gets in and removes the undercoat (or whatever it's called--the hair underneath that's about to fall out. lol). It works great. It's little pricey (I thought my DH was nuts when he ordered it), but it was worth it. We got ours from QVC because it was cheaper than we'd seen it in stores.
#11 of 15 Old 01-28-2009, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaBaBa View Post
yes I had heard this too.

I think it's more of nuisance than anything to you. Brushing will help and sadly a lot more housework will too

But there is no health hazard.
I totally agree! Brush, brush, brush and maybe he needs more good fat in his diet? Try giving him some olive oil over his food a few weeks (it might help.)
#12 of 15 Old 01-28-2009, 10:38 PM

I don't think it's a health hazard unless someone in your house has allergies.

I second the suggestion to get a decent brush like the Furminator. It's expensive but it works well. Also look for a shampoo designed for shedding. You wash the dog, brush it out while you're drying it, and get rid of all the loose hair at once.

Most importantly You need to be looking at your dog's food. It is shocking what a change in food can do for a dog's coat. I've never seen a dog on a really good food that agrees with him shed much. It'll take a couple months, but it really will help. Go to a reputable pet food and supply store (preferably one that stocks high quality natural brands) and ask their opinion. Even if your dog is already on a high quality food, he may be sensitive to one of the ingredients. If he is on a grocery brand food, you may have to spend quite a bit more per bag, but you'll feed less, so it won't be that much more expensive.

Good luck!

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#13 of 15 Old 01-29-2009, 12:06 PM

we are also run over by pet hair. have checked with several health professionals, no danger, just gross.

Cheryl, loving wife to a wonderfully goofy mannut.gif, mama to Jonah and Remifencing.gif, just trying to get out of this with my sanity and a decent looking hairdo
#14 of 15 Old 01-30-2009, 03:38 PM

i have a friend who vaccums her dogs. i tease her about it. the dogs enjoy it, but mine would freak.

some vaccum cleaners have a function that you take the hose off and it filters the air, i'm thinking of those rainbow vacs. i wonder if you left something like that running it would help.

other than that i'm thinking just brush it lots outside.
#15 of 15 Old 01-30-2009, 07:10 PM

I have a sign in my kitchen that says "Dog hair is a condiment here".

We have two large-breed dogs (mutts), one of which is double coated. There is just no way we can keep up with the hair. I warm people that come over to eat that I can't guarantee their food with be fur-free.

As for the allergies thing, I have had allergies all my life. I have also always had dogs. When I had a scratch test done as a kid I reacted to both dogs and cats (along with umpteen other things), however I have never had a problem living with dogs since I always have. I still react quite strongly to cats.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page