Toothpaste for oral herpes - im amazed - It works! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-30-2009, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I suffer very frequent outbreaks of herpes simplex on my lips and I am SO SO fed up with it! I cant use zovirax or any drugs like that as it just seems to get worse and my skin reacts to it by getting swollen, red and burning. So I have been trying everything in my closet to help it heal faster. Zink-oxide ointment, ithcthammol ointment, aloevera etc. And nothing helps. Till I tried toothpaste!

Its amazing - it works! I've used it twice now and both times it has stopped the blisters. First time I got 3-4 small blisters - used toothpaste for a couple of days and eventually only one of them burst - the others disappeared. Now I got a blister 4 days ago. Put toothpaste on it and - now its GONE - completely gone! With no sideeffects!

Im amazed and just thought I wanted to share as most likely many here suffer something similar. I looked it up online and appearently there is sodium lauryl sulfate in toothpaste - and that has been clinically proven on mice to stop reproduction and slow development of herpes simplex! How cool is that!

Single mom to ds(8), dd(6) and ds(5)

#2 of 3 Old 01-30-2009, 09:50 AM

Have you ever tried L-lysine? I think it's awesome that you've found something that works, but I avoid any products with SLS & have found L-lysine to be my wonder drug for cold sores. I take it when I feel the first little tingle or when I have a cold or feel stressed/run down & I haven't had an actual sore in years.

It feels awesome to get a handle on cold sores, doesn't it? I suffered from awful ones for years & years. Bleh.

stephanie asl.gif

#3 of 3 Old 01-30-2009, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

I recently started taking L-lysine supplements, but my recent outbreak happened anyway. How much do you take? I take 1000 mg a day, but am not sure it's enough, as appearently it didnt prevent my recent outbreak. I believe I read somewhere that you have to take at least 1250 mg a day for it to be effective? Argh - I seem to be taking a lot as it is , and am nervous that there may be sideeffects to it.
I am not worried about using toothpaste - after all lots and lots of people put it in their mouth on a daily basis (me included) so using it on the lips a for a couple of days now and then doesnt seem a big deal to me - especially compared to aciclovir that IME seems a lot harsher and more provoking to my skin. I recently bought an all natural remedy that contains l-lysine for topical use, but that didnt do any good..

I believe to have read that ointments containing high concentrations of tannin has a good effect on cold sores too, but they are not available around here anymore. Maybe online? Anyway after having found toothpaste to be so effective I dont think i'm gonna bother trying a lot of other remedies - it would be nice to find something that prevents outbreaks alltogether though..

Single mom to ds(8), dd(6) and ds(5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page