When can my vomiting/diarrhea 3-year-old eat again? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-01-2009, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So DS started barfing Thursday morning. We went down to just fluids by Thursday evening. Here's how the progression has gone since then:

Friday morning: 1/4 cup applesauce and 1/4 banana. Vomited around noon, several episodes of diarrhea. I think he ate a bit of applesauce Friday night and didn't throw up, but had diarrhea once or twice during the night.

Saturday morning: A bit of toasted bagel, and I think DH put some part-butter spread on it against my better judgment. He didn't throw up all day Saturday but had explosive, prolific diarrhea quite a few times. But since he didn't throw up, I thought we were on the upswing.

Sunday (today) morning: Since I was up with his baby brother a lot during the night, I was still in bed when DH allowed him to eat some whole-wheat pancake, possibly with syrup, and (horrors) drink some milk. Prolific diarrhea has continued, and then he hurled up everything around 3:00 this afternoon.

I know the things he ate/drank this morning were a mistake, and maybe I wouldn't be typing this now if he hadn't had those.

My problem, though, is that the poor guy is HUNGRY! He wants to eat normal food, but every time he does, it makes him sicker. And I fear the worst for tonight---he ate almost a cup of applesauce, and quite a bit of the crust from the pizza we were eating. We didn't give him any toppings, but I think the bits DH gave him had some baked-on cheese residue---plus he was very hungry and I think he ate too much for his stomach to handle.

So what to do? Logic tells me that he needs to just do all fluids until the symptoms go away, then gradually reintroduce foods, but how long is too long to deprive a child of food? And what to do when he is so hungry that he cries and cries for food, but it just makes him sick?

Advice, please!
#2 of 6 Old 02-01-2009, 10:03 PM

Start with SIPS of water. After 2 hours, if he hasn't thrown that up, gradually add 2 or 3 BITES of either banana, applesauce, or dry toast. Do that once an hour for 4 hours or so. If no further vomitting, you can add more quantity of those foods, along with small bites of yogurt, but nothing more. I would stick to this diet for at least 24 hours AFTER the last bout of diarrhea or vomitting. I know he'll be hungry and want more food, but his gut needs to rest. Good luck....been there.

Lisa   L&D RN mama to DS#1 (4-01) DS#2 (9-03) DD (10-05) vbac.gifX2,  ribbonpb.gif 10-2011

#3 of 6 Old 02-01-2009, 10:03 PM

Oh, this is always tough for us as well. I would try to restrict what he is eating - give him a small amount at a time, and let him eat more frequently. But give him some things that are soft/bland but that are generally more filling like applesauce, mashed potatoes, chicken broth, rice. Are you giving probiotics too? I always find them helpful when my guys have diarrhea. Have you tried ginger and camomile to help his nausea??

So, probably not much advice beyond what you're already doing, but I feel for your little one & hope that he gets better soon!
#4 of 6 Old 02-01-2009, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisoula View Post
Start with SIPS of water. After 2 hours, if he hasn't thrown that up, gradually add 2 or 3 BITES of either banana, applesauce, or dry toast.
Would you apply the same rule for diarrhea---just sips of water until the diarrhea stops for at least 2 hours?

Suppose he gets through the night (he just went to bed), or at least several hours before morning, with no diarrhea or vomiting. Would you say bites of banana, etc. would be safe at that point?
#5 of 6 Old 02-01-2009, 10:47 PM

Since his stomach is still so upset I'd say stick to bananas, rice, apple sauce, and crackers (like saltines) and dry toast. If you're worried about fluids let him sip water. I don't think a little gatorade and/or pedialyte would hurt.

The bananas and rice will help stop the diarrhea. Also, I agree with the PPs who said to give him a probiotic. Maybe some yogurt if the bananas, etc. stay down.

Sorry you're having to go through this.
#6 of 6 Old 02-02-2009, 01:59 AM

I would offer foods I consider very easy to digest, homemade soup, probably without meat but with homemade stock if I had any, homemade pickles or pickle juice (the juice settled better than water on my daughter's stomach, just be mindful of the salt content) or other fermented veggies, maybe applesauce. I find bananas to feel a bit heavy, and I avoided them when my daughter's stomach was recently upset.

I let my daughter eat foods like these as much as she liked when her stomach was upset, but we talked about eating only as much as she felt like (or considering eating when she may not initially want to if she hadn't eaten in a long time), but ultimately I let her decide. Oh, I also made ginger tea, just hot water poured over chopped up crystallized ginger and eat slices of crystallized ginger in moderation before or with other food. The ginger settles well on her stomach. And room temp or warm beverages worked better than cold water, cold water tended to cause stomach cramps. Hope your little one feels better soon!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page