GYN appt today. Recommended endometrial ablation... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 02-04-2009, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have had horrible periods for a very long time. I have Von Willebrand disease but the hematologist doesn't think my periods are caused by this so I was referred to a gynocologist. DH had a vasectomy and I don't want any more children, so birth control aspect is not an issue. She reccomended the following:

1. Birth controls - I've tried so many different kinds and I always spot the entire time then have a horrible regular period and I'm super hormonal.

2. Mirena IUD - I read about this and I'm not really comfortable with the idea.

3. Ponstan and cyklokapron combined. I have been reading about these and am iffy on the side effects.

4. Endometrial ablation. It sounds scary.....but it seems like it might be the best choice.

5. Hysterecomy. My very last option I will try. I am only 27 and I cannot live for another 20 years with periods like I have, but I want to try less invasive things first.

Any opinions???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 28 Old 02-04-2009, 09:32 PM

If you know 100% you're done with kids then I would do the ablation - i know several women who've done it and it has given them years of relief.
#3 of 28 Old 02-04-2009, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsuki View Post
If you know 100% you're done with kids then I would do the ablation - i know several women who've done it and it has given them years of relief.
Yep 100% done having kids. Happy with the two I have, and SO ready to be done with these horrid periods.
#4 of 28 Old 02-04-2009, 09:49 PM

If you do not want a hysterectomy I would suggest the Mirena or ablation.

The Mirena will be effective for about 5 years, but will need to be replaced after that time to continue with lighter periods. The ablation will also give you temporary relief. Some patients have relief for a year, others for 3-4 years. Both options are temporary so at such a young age you will most likely need to make this decision again.

Good luck with your choice.
#5 of 28 Old 02-04-2009, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate3 View Post
If you do not want a hysterectomy I would suggest the Mirena or ablation.

The Mirena will be effective for about 5 years, but will need to be replaced after that time to continue with lighter periods. The ablation will also give you temporary relief. Some patients have relief for a year, others for 3-4 years. Both options are temporary so at such a young age you will most likely need to make this decision again.

Good luck with your choice.
Oh, from what the gyn had told me, I thought the ablation would be permanent. Hmm....wonder if I should've opted for the hysterectomy then.
#6 of 28 Old 02-04-2009, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Are you sure your hypothyroid is well-controlled? I guess I'd suspect that. And why doesn't your hematologist suspect the VWD? Heavy periods are one of the bigger reasons women start testing and figure out they have VWD.
#7 of 28 Old 02-04-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Oh, from what the gyn had told me, I thought the ablation would be permanent. Hmm....wonder if I should've opted for the hysterectomy then.
If you were 45, I would say the ablation would probably be permanent. But at only 27, my guess is that you would have some regrowth of the endometrial lining.
#8 of 28 Old 02-05-2009, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

BUMP

Anyone have any personal experience with the endometrial ablation OR hysterectomy?
#9 of 28 Old 02-05-2009, 02:21 PM

My mom had an ablation done a couple of years ago. It has really helped her periods and she says she doesn't regret it.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#10 of 28 Old 02-05-2009, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nummies View Post
My mom had an ablation done a couple of years ago. It has really helped her periods and she says she doesn't regret it.
I've read pretty good things, i'm just afraid of having to get it done again because I'm only 27. I dread any sort of pelvic exam. I actually cry for days before, it's just such a disgusting feeling to me. I cried a bit last night because I just feel so icky thinking about being put under anesthetic with my legs in stirrups with a doctor, 2 nurses, anesthesiologist with them working down there. I don't think I'd have any question about which one to get done if I knew the ablation would be permanent, but just THINKING about having to go through the process 2 or 3 times really is bothering me.
#11 of 28 Old 02-05-2009, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Are you sure your hypothyroid is well-controlled? I guess I'd suspect that. And why doesn't your hematologist suspect the VWD? Heavy periods are one of the bigger reasons women start testing and figure out they have VWD.
I don't know why the hematologist doesn't think the periods are due to the VWD. It's stupid. Last I checked my thyroid is just fine. I think i'm going to call and make another dr's appointment for another blood panel just to see.
#12 of 28 Old 02-06-2009, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter

Another thing about the thyroid. I thought maybe my thyroid levels just weren't high enough for MY body, so I took the LOWEST dose of synthroid available and my period completely stopped, so the doctor says it bumped me to hyperthyroid.
#13 of 28 Old 02-06-2009, 03:27 AM

Have you tried a chiropractor? I also have heavy periods, started going to one just over a month ago, and this month was a little less heavy. She said I was so tense that my body wasn't getting any signals my brain was sending. I wish I had more advice to give, but it's a great place to start.

mom of 3 , homeschooling the oldest with google and the internet
#14 of 28 Old 02-06-2009, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

I've been debating trying the medications first. I HATE taking medicine....but I'm also so afraid to have surgery because of the Von Willebrands. The meds are ponstan and cyklokapron. Anyone have any experience with them?
#15 of 28 Old 02-06-2009, 02:37 PM

Personally, I'd see a classical homeopathist, and read about adrenal and thyroid issues. (don't tell me they drew blood and said everything was fine, cause blood tests are not accurate measures of hormonal balance).

I had endometiosis and horrible pain for years and years. I did have the endometriosis cleaned up per laproscopy before ttc. But, since homeopathy, no more menstraul pain. Homeopathy can help with the discomfort significantly also. Either or. But, personally, I'd spend the $300 to see a classical homeopath, which can address the cause, not just remove your uterus or mask the symptoms. And the homeopathy doesn't have side effects.

Here is an old post of mine about the endo: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...s#post12935660

This thread has info about testing and nutritional alternatives: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...&postcount=191

Pat

I have a blog.
#16 of 28 Old 02-12-2009, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

I'm going to go with the ablation. I go in on March 12th.
#17 of 28 Old 02-13-2009, 02:22 AM

I just wanted to make sure that you had read this book.

http://tinyurl.com/bdnehu

Your situation sounds like SO many of the stories in the book. There is still time before your procedure. It may be at the library but it's just $8 from Amazon.

~Anna
#18 of 28 Old 02-17-2009, 12:42 PM

Before you do the ablation look at the type of procedure. Novasure seems to me the better option out there, less pain, no General or Spinal (I have a thing about going under).

I'm in a similar boat where this is an option I've been looking at for 2 years now.

Post back how it went. I'd like to know.

I read the above book - personally, I don't recall reading anything specific to flooding in there. My GYN has had me on Vit D therapy for over a year to help with the flooding periods to no avail and he is a Dr. John Lee follower. I also am still iron deficient anemic after 2 years of prescribed supplements.

I don't have estrogen dominance, I have progestrone and androgen problems, ie higher testosterone. I refuse hormones or BCPs. I do have hypothyroidism on medication and under control as much as it can be - I feel good. Sometimes there comes a point where you just want the problem solved.

If your GYN has properly tested you and recommends the ablation and you have read up on it and agree, there is no reason not to. Your dh has the vasectomy, no risk of miscarriages or need for bc.
#19 of 28 Old 02-17-2009, 03:10 PM

I was just reading about high doses of vit D can deplete vit K, which is what stops bleeding.

"vitamin D exerts toxicity by inducing a deficiency of vitamin K" http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retri...06987706007171
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0125223302.htm
http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocente...mins/vitaminK/

Also, hypothyroid can be addressed nutritionally. Have you read in the "Thyroid Thread"? One needs to have saliva testing done of five hormones to see if they are bio-available, not blood testing to evaluate hormones. The hormones are interconnected. Basically, the thyroid, progesterone, estrogen, testosterone and cortisol levels all need to be evaluated as they change over the course of day.

Please check out the adrenal and thyroid threads for information to identify and address the underlying issues.

Adrenal thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=685848
Thyroid thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=946468

Pat

I have a blog.
#20 of 28 Old 02-17-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
I was just reading about high doses of vit D can deplete vit K, which is what stops bleeding.
I Vit D deficient, I'm on therapy for that. A restoration to normal levels of Vit D would not cause a depletion of Vit K.

Quote:
Also, hypothyroid can be addressed nutritionally. Have you read in the "Thyroid Thread"? One needs to have saliva testing done of five hormones to see if they are bio-available, not blood testing to evaluate hormones. The hormones are interconnected. Basically, the thyroid, progesterone, estrogen, testosterone and cortisol levels all need to be evaluated as they change over the course of day.

Pat
BTDT and know that... I was only saying sometimes one has had enough and needs a treatment b/c the cure may take years nutritionally and still only be mildly better.

Our soils are depleted therefore our food is depleted, quality supplements are expensive and supplements are not a substitute for nutrition from food -- but it's a catch 22 b/c you are never going to eat enough food to meet the body's need, let alone deficiencies that develop from years of eating nutritionally lacking food. Organic veggies have less nutrition than plain old green beans did 20 years ago. Cod Liver oil isn't enough to prevent Vit D deficiency apparently for me.

And I don't take Synthroid, I take Armour, well now it's Westhroid due to shortages. I've been around awhile, hiding.
#21 of 28 Old 04-30-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygrant View Post
i just scheduled an ablation-i would love to hear from you about how yours went and how things are now.

Heavily tattooed and Dready Mama to my girls. YES we are STILL NURSING! love to and
#22 of 28 Old 03-16-2010, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkedmamajama View Post
i just scheduled an ablation-i would love to hear from you about how yours went and how things are now.
I was just looking for my old thread. I never ended up going for the ablation because I had a breast reduction scheduled for 2 months later, so I didn't want two surgeries that close together.

Strange thing.....after the surgery we had a really stressful time with our house renos and I ended up gaining about 30 pounds and my periods got easier and easier, not as much flow, etc. I've now lost 14 pounds and each time I lose my periods get worse!! What the heck is up with that???
#23 of 28 Old 03-17-2010, 10:39 AM

I ended up not having it. Increasing thyroid medication fixed the heavy bleeds.

it wasn't something I was thrilled about doing either, it was a last resort measure.
#24 of 28 Old 03-17-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
I was just looking for my old thread. I never ended up going for the ablation because I had a breast reduction scheduled for 2 months later, so I didn't want two surgeries that close together.

Strange thing.....after the surgery we had a really stressful time with our house renos and I ended up gaining about 30 pounds and my periods got easier and easier, not as much flow, etc. I've now lost 14 pounds and each time I lose my periods get worse!! What the heck is up with that???
Have you seen this site?
http://www.ctds.info/menorrhagia.html

There's lots and lots of information there on bleeding. Hope something there helps.

Body fat stores estrogen, so I'm wondering if, by losing weight, you are mobilizing any estrogen that was stored.

Looking at this site, I'm also wondering if you've tried any vitamin K...? or vitamin B6...?

Kim mama to DS 12/2005, Pepper kitty , and 10/03, 1/05;
#25 of 28 Old 03-17-2010, 05:02 PM

I like chinese medicine for this, a combination of acupuncture and herbs.

Cheryl, mom to Olivia Grace (May 2009), Zackary James (Jun 2012)

both hypnobabies births

#26 of 28 Old 03-18-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:

Oh, I forgot what might be obvious....how are you eating differently when you are losing weight (and afterwards) vs. before when you are gaining weight?

Kim mama to DS 12/2005, Pepper kitty , and 10/03, 1/05;
#27 of 28 Old 03-18-2010, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimPM View Post
Oh, I forgot what might be obvious....how are you eating differently when you are losing weight (and afterwards) vs. before when you are gaining weight?
When I'm gaining weight I eat crappy foods. NOthing healthy at all. Lots of chips, lots of chocolate, etc. Really...it makes no sense to me! Now I"m eating really healthy. Lots of salads, lots of healthy fats, plenty of healthy proteins.......
#28 of 28 Old 05-26-2010, 07:23 PM

Had Novasure ablation & Essure placement 3/12/10. I've never heard anything about this not being a permanent solution before. I had severe anemia - barely able to get out of bed, heart palpitations, etc. and could not tolerate iron supplements. I have to say - I feel wonderful! It took two months for my body to get restocked on iron. I have energy to spare. My periods still last 5 days but I only need more than a panty liner for one day and even then it is very light. The only problem I have is with cramps the day before my period. Before the surgery, I would take a Pamprin and move on. Now, you'll find me slumped over, bug-eyed with a bottle of Vicodin in one hand screaming "Is that all you've got???" at my uterus. It only lasts a day though

Oh, by the way - IV sedation, painless procedure. I never took anything heavier than Motrin 800 for pain (which is why I still have a whole bottle of Vicodin).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page