Quitting smoking... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-10-2009, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a good friend who just found out that his GF is due in October. She's very addicted to smoking, knows she wants and needs to quit, but has a bit of a problem.

Since she is so addicted, it is going to be a huge amount of stress for her to quit cold turkey. Would the effects of a few days of very infrequent smoking be worse than the stress of cold turkey?
What about a patch or gum, is the problem when pregnant the nicotine or the chemicals or the tar or what?

I've never been around smoking, I just know it's bad in general and worse while pregnant, I don't know specifics...any input is appreciated.
#2 of 12 Old 02-11-2009, 12:23 AM

Quitting slowly, even over the course of several weeks, is perfectly fine, I think. I think a smoker is more likely to quit for good then, too.

I don't think the patch versus the cigarette really matters to the baby. That would depend on what works better for the mom. It's the nicotine that affects to baby, not the delivery method, really.

That said, I was a smoker when I got pregnant with my first child and it only took about three days after I found out for me to not be able to tolerate eventhe SMELL of a cigarette. I found out I was pregnant when I was about 6 weeks along. So by the end of week 7 my smokes were LONG GONE because they would make me throw up.

Here's hoping that your friend has a similar experience and that quitting is as easy for her as it was for me! Might I also add that I have never looked back. Never had the urge to smoke again and it still grosses me out!

Ali - Wife to Steve and mom to Zoe - age 7, and Ezra - 17 months (9/2009)
#3 of 12 Old 02-11-2009, 12:31 AM

Same here. The cig smell totally killed me, so quitting was no problem. I think her healthcare person would be a perfect start if pregnancy alone does not take her desire away.
#4 of 12 Old 02-11-2009, 01:35 AM

Isn't it more about what is likely to be most successful long term? I'm definitely no expert on quitting smoking, but I do know that whatever the method, long term success rates are fairly low and that different methods do have different success rates. She should see if there is a quit smoking group in her area, particularly one aimed at pregnant women and is realistic about methods. I was once part of a working group that reviewed data on quitting smoking in pregnancy, I think it was assumed that the extra incentive of being pregnant would make success rates higher, but the data didn't turn out that way and we did wonder if that was the pressure of unrealistic expectations, that you have to quit now, not make a plan, that you can't use nicotine replacement etc.

Anne, Christian mummy to Nathanael 05/28/03, Ada 06/10/05, Grace 05/24/09
#5 of 12 Old 02-11-2009, 02:21 AM

i quit cigs, massive amounts of caffeine, and all alcohol within 24 hors of suspecting pregnancy. it was easy and effective. I was headachy, grouchy, and volatile for a week at least, but then life was all food and yummy beverages.
#6 of 12 Old 02-11-2009, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maylanna View Post
i quit cigs, massive amounts of caffeine, and all alcohol within 24 hors of suspecting pregnancy. it was easy and effective. I was headachy, grouchy, and volatile for a week at least, but then life was all food and yummy beverages.
I did the exact same thing. I just up and quit everything for the pregnancy (this was 19 years ago, and I gave him up for adoption). I do think that when one does it this way, it's truly mind over matter. You have to be in the right headspace.

I started smoking almost immediately after I came home from the hospital without my baby, and didn't quit again until 7 years ago and it was also a sudden decision; "I'm quitting today," kind of thing. I don't know how else to do it, really.

I can say that what helped me stay off cigarettes was not fighting the cravings, rather, I would welcome them in my body and lay down and feel every sensation and allow it all to wash over me. If I fought it, it became very tempting to just say "F--- it!," and run to the store and buy a pack.

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
#7 of 12 Old 02-11-2009, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I also went cold turkey.

Just stop! She will be a super grouch for about a week, but you're kinda a super grouch anyways so you can blame it all on hormones!

IMO dragging it out and trying to quit slowly is tourture.

My dad used gum, and he said he really liked it, eh... If you're going to do something just do it! There is no better reason then having another person inside you!

I smoked 2 pks a day until the morning I got my BFP. She can do it too, she must! For her baby!

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#8 of 12 Old 02-11-2009, 02:05 PM

Moved to Health and Healing.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#9 of 12 Old 02-11-2009, 02:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyZoeJane View Post
Quitting slowly, even over the course of several weeks, is perfectly fine, I think. I think a smoker is more likely to quit for good then, too.

I don't think the patch versus the cigarette really matters to the baby. That would depend on what works better for the mom. It's the nicotine that affects to baby, not the delivery method, really.
Not correct. Studies have shown that "cold turkey" is the most effective way to quit smoking and has the best long-term outcomes.

Not correct #2. It is the lack of oxygen in the bloodstream that is deleterious to the baby. Smoking reduces blood oxygen levels. Also, there are hundreds of carcinogenic and toxic chemicals in cigarette smoke. The nicotine is the LEAST of this mother's worries. A patch or the gum would be infinitely better for the baby than actual smoking.
#10 of 12 Old 02-11-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordy5 View Post
Not correct. Studies have shown that "cold turkey" is the most effective way to quit smoking and has the best long-term outcomes.

Not correct #2. It is the lack of oxygen in the bloodstream that is deleterious to the baby. Smoking reduces blood oxygen levels. Also, there are hundreds of carcinogenic and toxic chemicals in cigarette smoke. The nicotine is the LEAST of this mother's worries. A patch or the gum would be infinitely better for the baby than actual smoking.
Yep. That. Although no smoker wants to be told it nor wants to believe it.
I quit in July, cold turkey. I promised DH I would quit when I had my wisdom teeth out, so... I did. I was a crab for about a month and I still have cravings sometimes. It's not easy and I refuse to misrepresent it as being easy to anyone wanting to quit: it's hard, it sucks, you'll be a crank and it's worth it.
I smoked through 2 pregnancies. Am I happy or proud that I did? No. Did I try to quit? Yes. I "quit" repeatedly through both pregnancies for periods from 12 hours to 4 days. I just wasn't ready, I guess.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#11 of 12 Old 02-11-2009, 06:47 PM

I took a week and cut back a bit, and then went cold turkey on that Friday. I figured that would give me the weekend to be sick, which is what happened to me when I quit before. The funny thing is that, other than mental cravings for a week, quitting had no other effect on me. I guess my body was too busy with baby growing to notice, lol!

Happily married mom to DS (Aug 09) and two furry troublemakers.

#12 of 12 Old 02-18-2009, 05:23 AM

There are several methods to kick the habbit (hypnosis, laser, acupuncture etc) and many products (Nicorette, Cigarrest etc) but i think that if you have strong will power, cold turkey is the best way to quit smoking.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page