Pregnant with the stomach bug...what can I do? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-12-2009, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The little boy I watch had this stomach bug week before last. His mom got it a few days after him, then his dad got it last week. I thought maybe I'd escaped it, but no way. Last night, I'd been having some heartburn-like symptoms (acid in throat, pressure in chest.) Then, out of NOWHERE, I puked all over my poor DH's car. When we got in the house, I continued to vomit. When we finally got to bed, I woke up to vomit. Everytime I drank water it would come back up...I wasn't even peeing--highly unusual for me!! At 2:30 am, DH took my vitals and my heart rate was really high, so we went to the ER. They hooked me up to an IV and gave me Zofran. The whole time I was wondering what this drug was and if it was safe but I was feeling weak and dizzy and they could barely find a vein because of the dehydration...knew that wasn't good either. I didn't throw up for about 2 hours, so they sent me home with strict orders to HYDRATE. I threw up once more after coming home and now have (sorry if this is TMI) diarrhea. I keep drinking but still feel thirsty, dizzy (just had to sit very abruptly when I got up to use the bathroom), weak, and horrible. Heart rate is ok and pee is light yellow so I don't think I'm dehydrated. I took Tylenol around lunchtime because my whole body was aching and my temp was high for me--normally I am 96 something but I was at 98.9. Tylenol is starting to wear off and now I'm at 99.2 although I can't take more Tylenol until 6...

If I feel at any point that baby and I are in danger, I will go to the ER, but...Any recommendations to help me feel better and be sure baby is safe in the meantime? I've never had a stomach bug like this before...every time I've gotten one, it's been one or two episodes of puking and then it's over with.

Single mama to S ~ 6/09

#2 of 6 Old 02-12-2009, 07:17 PM

I had that while pregnant with DS1. My dr told me to drink Gatorade or Pedialyte- to keep up my electrolytes. I would suggest doing that. For the most part you just have to ride it out and go to the ER if you are really dehydrated. My dr assured me that the baby was not in danger from the bug and you are keeping yourself hydrated which is good. I hope other people have more ideas.

Mama to two loqacious and bouncy boys.
#3 of 6 Old 02-12-2009, 09:42 PM

If you can stomach it, chicken stock is a great hydrater, and offers all kinds of other good stuff at the same time. Bonus is it's not usually full of the chemicals most of the other recommended stuff is. Homemade would be best of course, but out of a carton (not a can), or even from a restaurant would work. When I was single, I'd order delivery wonton soup whenever I was sick cause there was a ton of broth to drink. You can even chop up some ginger into it, which should also help with the nausea.

Ultimately, right now it's about getting nutrition (and keeping it down) however you can. For me that usually means the above.

If you can keep that down for a while, the next thing I recommend trying is whole fat plain yogurt. As much as most people don't care for the taste, if you tolerate dairy, it's very soothing to the tummy and it's also full of healthy bacteria to help your body balance itself. Usually I'll take a small dish of it and sprinkle a little bit of sugar or honey over it, just enough to take the edge off the tartness.

HTH

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#4 of 6 Old 02-13-2009, 10:41 AM

I'm so sorry you're sick!!! Nothing worse than feeling horrible and worrying about your baby on top of that.
I agree w/ pedialyte- the popsicles are that bad.
Water and more water, but just a little at a time.

I had this a month ago and i'm pregnant too and it was just awful.
TMI but I would be puking in the toilet and not know that the other end was coming.....i had to throw away some towels that were on the floor! gross :-(

I hope you feel better soon! It sounds like the worst is over at least.
#5 of 6 Old 02-13-2009, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Well I'm starting to feel a bit better. After a good night's sleep, my torso is so sore...especially my chest, shoulders, back, clavicle area...I guess from all the violent throwing up and heaving!! Ugh.

I haven't eaten anything other than chicken broth since Wednesday dinner (that I threw up). I have no appetite! I don't have any yogurt, and doubt I could stomach it any way, but I tried dry cereal, and contemplated plain rice...no go. Makes me sick to think of actually chewing and swallowing food. Is it okay for the baby for me to go this long without real food?

No stomach stuff since yesterday afternoon though, yay!!

Single mama to S ~ 6/09

#6 of 6 Old 02-13-2009, 12:58 PM

you poor thing. I had that twice while pregnant with my second child and you do just have to ride it out unless you feel like something drastically wrong is happening. Hydrate and hydrate. Sometimes you'll throw it up but often pedialyte is better than water is. When you feel like you can start to nibble again do so...when that bug is out of your system you will make up for the lost time and lost fluids. If you have to go back to the ER to get fluids than do it. I had to go through almost three bags of fluid before I could even pee the tiniest amount and was able to be set free from the hospital. Be glad you don't have the issue of excessive vomiting throughout your entire pregnancy because some women do.

Again, fluids and more fluids small amounts at a time and loads of rest. Your baby is probably doing much better than you because he/she is getting all of YOUR fluids. Hope you feel better soon.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page