Please help. I can't get my child to stop coughing. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-20-2009, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm too exhausted to search the archives. . . I will a bit later.

He is almost 3 1/2 years and coughed ALL night. No more than 20 seconds between episodes, some episodes lasting a full minute or more. He's had a fever since Saturday night and what I thought and still think was/is the flu. But I took him to the pediatrician last night and she thinks it's just a bad cold. His lungs are clear, ears are clear. He has some significant nasal congestion now.

He's been coughing constantly since 11pm last night. I got no sleep. He got very little sleep. Being upright and drinking warm liquids has not helped. It's like a bad case of the hiccups, only a cough. It's exhausting for us all.

What else can I try? I want to cry.
#2 of 10 Old 02-20-2009, 10:22 AM

I would call our HCP. He needs to be seen.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#3 of 10 Old 02-20-2009, 10:25 AM

i searched the health and healing archives and looked all over for posts on coughing myself...couldn't find any help either. My two older kids and hubby have a lingering cough and I was hoping to find some natural remedies to soothe the throat and quiet the coughs. Any help out there? We've tried tea with honey and some Bio-Med homeopathic drops...

me-45, DH-46, ds1-23, ds2-18, dd1-17, dd2-14, dd3-4....hoping for #6.....

#4 of 10 Old 02-20-2009, 10:28 AM

Hey Katwrangler....I just noticed your post....I have a Connor and Delaney also!

me-45, DH-46, ds1-23, ds2-18, dd1-17, dd2-14, dd3-4....hoping for #6.....

#5 of 10 Old 02-20-2009, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post
I would call our HCP. He needs to be seen.
I plan to, when they open in 30 minutes. We were just there last night, only 12 hours ago. He wasn't coughing like this then though.

It's somewhat better now that he's been awake for an hour. But he's still coughing, a lot. I can't believe he's not complaining about it.
#6 of 10 Old 02-20-2009, 10:33 AM

If his cough changed since being seen, I would go again. My DD went from being having no lung issue at MDs office in the afternoon, to severe wheezing in the am. Do you know signs of breathing difficulty (like rib retraction with breathing in, blue lips/nail)? We do sit in the bathroom with shower running on hot to make steam room. That seems to help.
#7 of 10 Old 02-20-2009, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbinsc View Post
If his cough changed since being seen, I would go again. My DD went from being having no lung issue at MDs office in the afternoon, to severe wheezing in the am. Do you know signs of breathing difficulty (like rib retraction with breathing in, blue lips/nail)? We do sit in the bathroom with shower running on hot to make steam room. That seems to help.
The cough has not changed in nature, only in frequency. He has no rib retraction or other difficulty. However, my father is a pulmonary physician and when I called my mom this morning she thought the cough sounded asthmatic over the phone. So I don't know.
#8 of 10 Old 02-20-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltige View Post
The cough has not changed in nature, only in frequency. He has no rib retraction or other difficulty. However, my father is a pulmonary physician and when I called my mom this morning she thought the cough sounded asthmatic over the phone. So I don't know.
That would also be my concern. So just to be sure.

Let us know.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#9 of 10 Old 02-20-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THANKFULFORFIVE View Post
Hey Katwrangler....I just noticed your post....I have a Connor and Delaney also!

#10 of 10 Old 02-20-2009, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post
That would also be my concern. So just to be sure.

Let us know.
I called the pediatrician. The nurse could hear him coughing. She suggested a few things we had already tried (honey, lemon, etc) and then said we could try benedryl. So we did. It's supposed to help dry the mucous, and he is very congested. Too soon to know the effect yet.

She did say that if he does not improve as the day goes on, he needs to come back in today.

There is asthma in my family, but only my mom and none of my siblings. He's never shown any indication before, but I guess that does not mean anything.

The timing of this is terrible because I'm going out of town tomorrow and Sunday with a friend from out of state- a long planned adventure. DH is more than capable, he's a wonderful father, but the guilt I am feeling about leaving while ds is sick is incredible.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page