ds had an ear infection at 9m. I call it a Phantom ear infection b/c i didn't know. I brought him in for his 9m WBV and they saw it. I took the RX for the ABX but told the Dr I would not give them unless he started running a high fever for more than 2 days. She agreed. I didn't treat him w/ anything for the pain b/c he didn't act fussy or have trouble nursing/sleeping. If he had, I would have given him tylenol. Personally, I am in favor of waiting it out with the ear infections. FWIW, ds never had a fever, never gave the ABX and when we went back 3 days later the infection was gone.
Now he was diagnosed with strep at 12m (which I know is an oddity in itself). He was SICK. Really sick. His fever wouldn't let up, he was fussy, messy, icky. Brought him in and the ped said he wouldn't usually culture except that our sitter had strep the week before. And the culture (both) came back positive. Then I didn't hesitate with the ABX b/c I knew what we were up against and that his body needed the medication to heal.
With the ear, it's not a given that it's bacterial and from what I've read it's usually not. However, I do feel I would treat the pain b/c it can be so incredibly uncomfortable.
Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (11y) and one sweet boy (7y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :