5 month old with ear infection - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-26-2009, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A friend of my has a 5 month old and was told by the doctor that he has an ear infection. Should she give him the antibiotics for an ear infection or should she wait it out?
How long should she wait and what signs should she look for to decide if she should give him the antibiotics?
I always wait it out but he is so young I wasn't sure.

Thanks!
#2 of 7 Old 02-27-2009, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

no one?
#3 of 7 Old 03-01-2009, 03:05 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I would wait it out and use garlic infused olive oil to manage the pain. Most ear infections clear up with out abx.

Or you can put breastmilk in the ear if you have it.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#4 of 7 Old 03-01-2009, 03:07 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Here is a helpful site on observation during ear infection.

http://www.drgreene.com/21_1767.html

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#5 of 7 Old 03-01-2009, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydiah View Post
I would wait it out and use garlic infused olive oil to manage the pain. Most ear infections clear up with out abx.

I know first hand that that type of stuff doesn't do squat for the pain. My mom didn't believe in using drugs, so I just had to suffer through with only natural rememdies. So I've tried pretty much everything. Obviously, I was ok without abx, but once I could make my own choices, and found out how much better tylenol works to relieve pain, I was quite angry at what she put me through. Now if hte dr. had said abx weren't needed yet, or it was for an older child and I felt it was ok to wait to see a dr, I'd be ok with trying a natural treatment in addition to pain meds.

With a 5 month old, yes, I'd do antibiotics if the dr. recomended it. If he suggested waiting, or he gave the ok to wait after I asked, I'd use tylenol or advil and see how it went. . And older child, that could tell me their pain level easier, I might wait. If I really wanted to avoid abx, I'd ask the dr. about waiting. I think dr.'s sometimes assume we expect a prescription for every illness.

Oh, and to the poster I quoted above or anyone who knows, is the garlic oil stuff supposed to help the actual infection? I still get ear infections, and I generally refuse to see a dr. as I hate the side effects of all the abx I'm not allergic to. As I said, I know it doesn't hlep at all with pain. (at least for me)
#6 of 7 Old 03-01-2009, 06:11 PM

ds had an ear infection at 9m. I call it a Phantom ear infection b/c i didn't know. I brought him in for his 9m WBV and they saw it. I took the RX for the ABX but told the Dr I would not give them unless he started running a high fever for more than 2 days. She agreed. I didn't treat him w/ anything for the pain b/c he didn't act fussy or have trouble nursing/sleeping. If he had, I would have given him tylenol. Personally, I am in favor of waiting it out with the ear infections. FWIW, ds never had a fever, never gave the ABX and when we went back 3 days later the infection was gone.

Now he was diagnosed with strep at 12m (which I know is an oddity in itself). He was SICK. Really sick. His fever wouldn't let up, he was fussy, messy, icky. Brought him in and the ped said he wouldn't usually culture except that our sitter had strep the week before. And the culture (both) came back positive. Then I didn't hesitate with the ABX b/c I knew what we were up against and that his body needed the medication to heal.

With the ear, it's not a given that it's bacterial and from what I've read it's usually not. However, I do feel I would treat the pain b/c it can be so incredibly uncomfortable.

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#7 of 7 Old 03-02-2009, 03:38 AM

I wish I had read some of these replies before I stupidly decided to use antibiotics on my son (also a "phantom" infection).

Is the baby breastfed? Having no symptoms at all?

After our horrific experience using antibiotics, I am going to be waiting it out if there ever is a "next" time (unless of course he is in considerable pain and its not going away on its own after a reasonable amount of time-- I think most of the pages I read said 4 days) We're on day 8 of diarrhea and it was so profuse I worried he may have heart or other issues from electrolyte imbalance. Indeed he even tested positive for C. Diff (another fear) Our story (or part of it) below

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1047078

He is still recovering. His ped said he was too young (16 months) to not start using antibiotics immediately. She wanted him to start that day even though he showed NO symptoms yet. (I was very surprised to hear one of his ears showed infection during a well baby visit) I seriously doubt he even had a bacterial infection at all. It may have been viral since we had just had a cold. I feel sure he would have been just fine if we had not had the antibiotics and would not have needed them. He is breastfed and had no prior infections nor on antibiotics ever. Now its going to take a LONG time to get his gut flora back to normal.

I feel he suffered much more with the antibiotics than he would have had I just let the ear infection run its course. Hopefully they will at least give the 5 month old the regular amoxicillin and NOT Augmentin like mine was put on!!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page