Mothering Forum banner

Suggestions for conjunctivitis (pinkeye)...

698 views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  goodpapa 
#1 ·
One of the wonderful additional infections I had concurrently with the flu was ~horrors~ pinkeye. I took an antibiotic to clear it up, mostly because I was SO sick and didn't have the energy to try anything else. Well, mine cleared up nicely, but today I noticed that ds'(18 mos) eye is getting kind of goopy. Anyone have any non-antibiotic suggestions, or is this a case where he really needs antibiotics? Thanks.

#2 ·
Make tea. Save bags. Wipe eyes frequently (with new tea bags, don't keep re-using). My doctor told me this one and it works. He's anti-antibiotics in most situations.

Also, diluted golden seal. Very diluted. Put on cotton pad and wipe eyes.

The tea bags alone usually clear it up in a couple of days.

Peace.

#10 ·
I expressed into a cup and used sterile dropper. If expressing is hard, you only need a drop or two, maybe put on spoon first and apply into eye when babe is sleeping.

Black tea helps, too. It is the tannins that help dry up mucous. Word of caution though, not sure I would put non-organic tea bags on my eye.

Good luck!
Mary

#11 ·
what happened when we tried the tea bags. Ds was on the sofa, I took the tea bag in and started wiping his eye. He started flailing and somehow got hold of the string on the bag. The bag rips, and wet tea leaves go flying everywhere-on the sofa, on the floor, and on the window!:LOL
That's my boy!

#12 ·
Pink eye is something that my 3 1/2 yo DD has dealt with a handful of times--- she seems to be somewhat of a conjunctivitis magnet! We haven't had to give her antibiotics yet though... and different things have worked on different occations.

Depending on whether it's bacterial or viral conjunctivits, goldenseal tea may or may not work. It can be a bit irritating, and you have to make sure to really filter the tea well. There are lots of little pieces of particulate in goldenseal that can be hard to get out. Also, Eyebright (Euphrasia) tea is really soothing to the eyes as well. I would generally start out with just breastmilk, and then alternate wiping the eyes with breastmilk then Eyebright.

Finally, what we've had really good luck with is Homeopathic remedies. There are a bunch of different remedies for different "types" of pink eye. Generally, I take DD into our naturopathic doc who is really good at identifying which remedy she needs. Each time we've gotten her the right homeopathic, her eyes clear up after 2-3 doses. It's amazing!

Also--- this doesn't sound like it applies to your situation, but since my daughter seems to get pink eye more frequently my naturopath talked to me about giving her some support for her eyes throughout the year. I give her Elderberry glycerite, which is good for the eyes, in addition to having her drink occational Eyebright tea sweetened with honey. Also, blueberries are good for the eyes too!

Good luck!

#13 ·
You can make a goldenseal tea and allow to cool and use as an eye wash.
If the eyelids are swollen, try a peeled and grated fresh potato, wrap it with gauze, and place it over the eyes. It has astringent qualities and has a healing effect.
To make a good eye wash, dissolve 1/2 tsp. aloe vera and 1 tsp. boric acid in 1 cup of water.
A tea made with Lady's Mantle, Bilberry, Oregon Grape root, Red Raspberry will work also. You don't have to use all four they are alternative suggestions.
Cucumber, apply to eye area in slices
Of course BREASTMILK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.