Strange thing coming out of skin - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 03-04-2009, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, several weeks ago, I had an itchy spot on my arm. When I went to scratch it, it felt like there was something sticking out of the skin - it felt hard, almost like a sliver of glass or a splinter. So, I got some tweezers and I pulled out what looked to be a small fish bone - it was that sort of white/opaque color and very thin just like a fish bone.

Didn't think much about it but, then it happened again a few weeks later - same arm, same place. Pulled it out and didn't think anything about it.

Well, my DD had a spot on her leg that looked like a bug bite. I rubbed over it and I felt the same sharp feeling like something was sticking out. I tried to get it out with tweezers but, she freaked out so I left it alone for a few days.

After a few days it seemed like it was getting worse - sort of starting to look like a pimple so, I applied some ora-gel to numb the area and I pulled it out. It was the exact same thing - a fish bone looking thing except her's had a ball on the end (maybe from where it was festering?)

It feels exactly like it would feel if you were running your finger over a piece of fish to feel for bones - you know how when you run your finger over it, it's sharp and sticking out slightly. This is exactly what it feels like.

So, what the heck? Has anyone heard of anything like this?
#2 of 34 Old 03-04-2009, 12:10 PM

Very odd. It's not small enough to be a hair? I've gotten hairs as splinters before...

-Angela
#3 of 34 Old 03-04-2009, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

It's definitely not a hair. It's hard and white/opaque and looks just like a small fish bone.
#4 of 34 Old 03-04-2009, 12:22 PM

i gotta tell you, thats the strangest thing i've heard all day (it is early though)

sometimes i find very thick but clear/very blonde and short hairs somewhere (i wont say where) and if hair like that were to be ingrown it would leave a big mark, red. but those can bend, can these bend?

or, you are mermaids

with love, bailey...
macey 5.18.08
#5 of 34 Old 03-04-2009, 12:23 PM

Too big to be a waxy plug- like from a blackhead? Even a really big black head?

I'm dying to know now... weird medical stuff intrigues me

-Angela
#6 of 34 Old 03-04-2009, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

My DD would be thrilled if we were mermaids :

These can bend a bit but, they're pretty small. Definitely not as long as a fish bone but, they have that cartilage feel that fish bones have - sort of flexible but if pushed, they would snap. That's what this feels like.

Next time it happens (if there is a next time) I will have to post a picture. It's freaky.
#7 of 34 Old 03-04-2009, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Definitely not a plug from a black head. I get those all the time unfortunately and this is definitely not that. It's long and thin and cartilage like.
#8 of 34 Old 03-04-2009, 12:27 PM

Is there anywhere you could be getting fiberglass slivers from?
#9 of 34 Old 03-04-2009, 12:29 PM

Do you have any pets with white hair?

Cats?

Cat whiskers can look as you describe and can impale in the skin.

-Angela
#10 of 34 Old 03-04-2009, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

We do have a dog with white hair but no cats.

This definitely doesn't look like dog hair. It looks like pin bones from fish only about 1/4th the size.

Fiberglass? Hmmm, any idea what would be a source of fiberglass? I can't imagine anything around the house that has fiberglass in it?
#11 of 34 Old 03-04-2009, 12:37 PM

I gotta tell you, the first thing that came to my mind was Morgellons. Very weird and freaky stuff with that syndrome. Please post a pic when you have one!
#12 of 34 Old 03-04-2009, 12:46 PM

Could it be this? http://www.morgellons.org/ If you google there are other links and pictures.
#13 of 34 Old 03-04-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcal View Post
We do have a dog with white hair but no cats.

This definitely doesn't look like dog hair. It looks like pin bones from fish only about 1/4th the size.

Fiberglass? Hmmm, any idea what would be a source of fiberglass? I can't imagine anything around the house that has fiberglass in it?
Insulation is made of fiberglass.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#14 of 34 Old 03-04-2009, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

I don't think it's morgellons. It's definitely not fibers. It's hard and cartiledge like. It really just looks like a pin bone from a fish.

I can't imagine anywhere I would come into contact with fiberglass insulation???
#15 of 34 Old 03-04-2009, 01:56 PM

Could it be some sort of strange parasite?
#16 of 34 Old 03-04-2009, 03:20 PM

Fiberglass by itself is very brittle and definitely is more hair like than cartilage like. So I would say it is not a fiberglass. Plastic splinter would be another idea though.
#17 of 34 Old 03-04-2009, 03:28 PM

Save the next one, and take it into your doctor. Should be able to tell your right away.
#18 of 34 Old 11-21-2010, 06:32 AM

about 4 days ago I have the exact same thing that came out of my elbow. It looked like a fish bone  about 1/2 inch long and it was flexible, I am disgusted. There is no infection in the area and the bottom inside  of my elbow is the strangest place to get this. I sure would like to know also

#19 of 34 Old 11-21-2010, 06:53 AM

I related this to hubby as he is a scientific type. He asked if you have flown recently? That it could be the bodys response to cavitation caused by millimeter wave body scanners. A calcium cyst.
#20 of 34 Old 11-24-2010, 12:22 PM

any updates? I'm intrigued...shy.gif

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#21 of 34 Old 01-02-2011, 09:18 PM

Hi.  OP, did you ever figure out what this was?  I am so curious.

#22 of 34 Old 03-01-2013, 07:12 PM

HEY HEY HEY.......Did you ever find out what this was??? I had the exact same thig happen to me in the last two weeks! A small, tiny whitish bone piece is what i finally got out of my arm in two different spots. It was almost instant relief when they came out but I can't help but wonder what it is?

thx for any help- Jesika

#23 of 34 Old 03-11-2013, 02:57 PM

I'm super curious too!

As far as Morgellons... I have always read that Morgellons is not a true disease/infection, but a kind of delusion.

crochetsmilie.gif heartbeat.gif cat.gif

#24 of 34 Old 03-24-2013, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I would bet cash money that it was a hair. Sometimes hair doesn't have the space to grow out and can become compacted and instead of turning the color of the other hairs on your body, can look white or opaque, due to lack of melanin. I've had it happen before, its a little creepy until you know what it is.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#25 of 34 Old 04-01-2013, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

No, I never figured out what it was.  My daughter had it happen one other time but neither of us has had it since.  

Ian'smommaya - I don't think it's a hair.  It's definitely a solid, almost quill / pin bone looking thing.  It's crazy!

#26 of 34 Old 04-01-2013, 10:23 AM

I have had his happen before. Did you go swimming lately? I pulled out two from my thigh and then the second time I dug deeper and pulled out a long soft white thing. IDK if it was a worm or what. Seemed like my body was trying to encapsulate it. I have never had it again but there is a litle scar from all of my digging.

#27 of 34 Old 04-01-2013, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcal View Post

No, I never figured out what it was.  My daughter had it happen one other time but neither of us has had it since.  

Ian'smommaya - I don't think it's a hair.  It's definitely a solid, almost quill / pin bone looking thing.  It's crazy!

That is what makes me thinks its a hair. It's happened to me too.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#28 of 34 Old 04-01-2013, 04:33 PM

you body will encapsulate a foreign body in attempts to keep it from causing any damage. Even and ingrown hair.

#29 of 34 Old 04-14-2013, 10:10 PM

I get the same thing, I have had at least 5 different occasions, not all in the same place. Definitely not a hair. At first I thought it was a sliver of glass.I like the fish bone description. It does seem to be something my body is making and pushing out. I have had sebaceous cyst before . So I tend to think its my body producing the same stuff , keratin , it's just not in cased in anything... That's my thought anyhow. I have been searching for what it is however cant find anything.. I know its not the follicle and it is NOT hair, I do not have OCD and I don't pull out my hair as some other threads and doctors and said on other sites.

#30 of 34 Old 04-15-2013, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting!  I agree - it's definitely not a hair and it's definitely not coming out of a follicle.  It's so hard to explain unless you see it.  The keratin explanation is a good idea....   I don't have OCD either, neither does my daughter who also had one on her leg.  I do agree that it's something that is working it's way out as opposed to something that we got stuck with because it feels like pulling a pin bone out of a piece of fish when I try to pull it out.  It's hard to get out, you really have to pull and it's strong enough that it doesn't break even with tweezers clasping it and hard pulling.  

I swear, if it happens again I will take pictures and post them.  But, I'm kind of hoping it doesn't happen again.  

Tags
Skin Care , Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page