Disgusting cut on my leg :) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-15-2002, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Of all things to happen to me...on Saturday I was making my daughter's bed (her job, but well, ya know how it goes)...it's a loft bed which means I climb a ladder to get in and out. Well, on my way down the top step on the ladder breaks and I fall and manage to cut my leg on the part right above the ankle bone with a nail. It isn't pretty and it bled like the dickens. I have cleaned it with peroxide and antibacterial soap, covered it with Neosporin and all that. The cut itself is looking all right, but my God! The area around the cut is so tender! OWWW I don't want to run to the doc everytime something like this happens. What do you all do for cuts and boo boos such as these? I had a tetanus shot only 16 months ago so I am set there.
Any suggestions anyone?? I feel like such a baby, but man, this cut is GROSS!!
TIA
Susana
#2 of 8 Old 04-15-2002, 05:07 PM

Well, if it bled, don't worry about tetanus. If you have any fever, or see red streaks, go to the doctor immediately. Is there pus?

Give it a few more days, go easy on your ankle, don't move it too much. If you think the overall trend is for the worst, then see a doctor. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.
However, if it seems very deep, you might want stitches......

Actually, if it happened 2 days ago it's too late for stitches, I think.
#3 of 8 Old 04-15-2002, 05:42 PM

I would put some arnica cream on it,it works so fast to heal cuts.Hope you feel better soon!
#4 of 8 Old 04-15-2002, 11:19 PM

Raw honey is amazing stuff. Apply it to the wound and completely cover with a bandage. It will keep the area moist & will prevent/ or get rid of infection. I know this seems weird, but it truly works! I used it on a very nasty wound on my daughter's foot. The infection subsided & the wound healed beautifully.
#5 of 8 Old 04-16-2002, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for the great suggestions-I am going to give them all a try! This cut doesn't stand a chance, does it?
It is the weirdest injury I have ever had-the cut looks like it is starting to heal, but the area all around it is so sensitive. I really whacked it, I guess!
Good news is, daughter and son are now making their beds so that I don't get hurt doing housework!

Thanks again for the suggestions!!
#6 of 8 Old 04-16-2002, 10:15 AM

I just want to second the raw honey. It's sticky but so effective, it's really miraculous, I put it on my Dh's incision after he had surgery, he healed so quickly it freaked the Dr. out. At his first check back the Dr. kept insisting that the date of surgery was a full week further back than it had been. He could not wrap his head around it. He kept saying the charts were "wrong".
#7 of 8 Old 04-16-2002, 03:13 PM

The other ladies have great suggestions. I also like to use comfrey on wounds. It works very well for my family.
#8 of 8 Old 04-16-2002, 04:18 PM

st johns wort tincture is good to

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page