Strep, scarlet fever (maybe) - treat or not treat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-07-2009, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lost my original way too long post ... and need to go make dinner

1. Five year old boy diagnosed with strep - he has no symptoms what so ever (i.e no sore throat, no rash). He had a high fever a few days ago. Do I treat with antibiotics?
2. He was only taken to the walk-in clinic because I think my daughter is possibly at the tail end of scarlet fever and impetigo. (Sunburn like rash, white around the eyes/mouth, rash travels down neck) Rash follows on high fever for a week - about two weeks ago. She wasn't tested.

So - do I treated an child with no symptoms for strep. If so, is it OK not to treat a child that more than likely (in my opinion) had a strep infection (perhaps not strep throat) and likely still does because of the 'scarlet fever' rash.

Off to make dinner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2009, 11:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I believe if the child was tested positive for strep then antibiotics are a must. If your little boy tested positive then treat with antibiotics. Test your girl also and treat accordingly. Alot of times when someone in the family has strep, all should be tested. Strep could lead to scarlet fever and/or reumatic fever which can cause permanent heart damage.

User Tag List