Grocery cart or no grocery cart - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-09-2009, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I do not own a cover and do not wipe them down. I figure there are enough germs on the playground and in the rest of the city that cart germs are the least of my worries. I wouldn't let them chew on the basket part though. I do wipe down public high chair trays though.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2009, 06:53 PM

me too

Mama to Amelia - age 6

Old 03-09-2009, 10:45 PM

me!
Old 03-10-2009, 01:01 AM

me. no wipe, no cover.

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
Old 03-10-2009, 01:06 AM

I liked the cart cover for my first. He took a long time to learn to sit up on his own and it was so nice and cushy, it was nice if he fell over or something. Plus he could actually lay down in it and go to sleep (yeah he was one of those ridiculously easy babies, dd is payback lol).

I never bothered with dd though...she never even sat in a cart until she was over a year old because before then I always had her in a back carrier.

I do wipe it down sometimes but only if it looks sticky or has food smears since she has food allergies.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
Old 03-10-2009, 11:52 AM

Me! Never wiped down the cart. I used a cover for my first for like a month then said forget it. I think some germies are good for my kids. Their world is too clean as it is.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:57 AM

No cover, and I only ever wipe the handle when there's nasty gunk on it that I don't want to touch. Carts sit in the sun for much of the day, so they're probably not quite as gross as some other public surfaces.

I don't come here anymore. MDC has become overgrown with ads & useless extra forums.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:02 AM

no covers, no wiping and no worries here
Old 03-11-2009, 01:17 AM

no cover, and no wiping, though i don't put my kids in the cart until i'm fairly certain that they wouldn't immediately try and mouth the handle. so, 18 months or so?

christina

meafro.jpg, and dhyikes2.gif, -- parenting joy.gifsince 2004, and bouncy.gif since 2007.
"IF YOU ARE NOT OUTRAGED, THEN YOU ARE NOT PAYING ATTENTION." signcirc1.gif
Old 03-11-2009, 01:33 AM

me.
i wipe the handle sometimes, but usually not. and i don't worry.

Erin, 33, salty southern mama, sitting by the sea with my DH35, DD10, DS4, &DD2!
Old 03-11-2009, 01:34 AM

my babe is such a wild one that I put her in the big part of the buggy. she is able to manuever her way out of the front seat, no matter how tight I strap her!
Old 03-12-2009, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for your replies. I'm trying so hard to get over this overprotectioness silliness - like with the grocery cart stuff Otherwise, DH has said I'm not ready for a next baby. Since I just turned 44 I don't have but a few years left, if I'm lucky SO THANK YOU AGAIN!!!!

Kate, Wife to DH and Mommy to a 5yo lovin' DS; three angels 4/08 9/08 3/10 in Heaven,
waitin' for my baby

Old 03-16-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
I plan to use one. I do believe germs are good for kids, but I just can not get over how disgusting shopping carts are. They're never washed, they're left outside in our polluted rain, birds poop on them, raw meat juice, people who maybe never wash their hands use them. I think I would have to throw up if I saw my baby with her mouth on a cart.
I just have to laugh at this!

Not to mention babies who are set in the cart with full/dirty diapers; shopping carts are frequently used to carry bags of trash, dripping with garbage juice, to the main compactor at a store I used to work at. It is a very large chain store so I'm sure other places do it, too.

But both my babies have ridden in the seat sans cover or wiping many times. You would think I would know better!

Andi, wife of Seraphim
Mom to Elijah (6/05) and Moses (6/08) and baby Joshua, UBAC February 18, 2011!

Old 03-16-2009, 09:42 PM

I am honestly more concerned about the chemicals in those sanitizing wipes. I would never want to touch one of those things.

DD is usually in a sling or mei tai because she is very squirmy, but she leans over to help me push the cart and sometimes sits in the cart seat for a little while. I've never covered up the cart or wiped one down.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FernG View Post
I am honestly more concerned about the chemicals in those sanitizing wipes. I would never want to touch one of those things.
I feel the same way about sanitizing wipes.

I dont have a cover or wipe the cart.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
I plan to use one. I do believe germs are good for kids, but I just can not get over how disgusting shopping carts are. They're never washed, they're left outside in our polluted rain, birds poop on them, raw meat juice, people who maybe never wash their hands use them. I think I would have to throw up if I saw my baby with her mouth on a cart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_lily View Post
They are definitely gross though. I once saw a woman waiting for a bus at Wal-Mart with her kid in the large part of the kart. The kid peed her pants, and it was all over the cart. She just pulled the kid out, and got on the bus... didn't tell anyone or anything. Ugh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andisunshine View Post
Not to mention babies who are set in the cart with full/dirty diapers; shopping carts are frequently used to carry bags of trash, dripping with garbage juice, to the main compactor at a store I used to work at. It is a very large chain store so I'm sure other places do it, too.

But both my babies have ridden in the seat sans cover or wiping many times. You would think I would know better!
:
I totally believe kids need to be exposed to germs and that there is a weird level of overprotectiveness when it comes to germs, but, uh, shopping carts are the NASTIEST things we come into regular contact with. I would rather my kids lick a public toilet than a shopping cart... Of course, sometimes, there are no wipes and the covers are cumbersome. So, we wash hands asap and I keep little mouthy babes in a sling.

I would be happy if the grocery store would spray bleach on their carts daily, though. You know the little tray underneath the buggy? THAT is for raw meat. NOT the kid seat. But I see people stacking raw meat in the kid seats all. the. time. Yuck.

---feeling like an emu on acid---
Old 03-17-2009, 04:11 PM

I don't use a cover or wipe. I usually try to pick a nice cart that has been sitting outside baking in the sun for awhile. Germies don't like direct UV in the baking Louisiana heat!

Laura
Mom to three

User Tag List