Grocery cart or no grocery cart - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-09-2009, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just really wanna know (just like Sid the Science Kid says ) how many mamas put their LO's in the front of a grocery cart seat (without the cover, and without wiping down the handle) and never/rarely worry about it?

TIA - Kate

Kate, Wife to DH and Mommy to a 5yo lovin' DS; three angels 4/08 9/08 3/10 in Heaven,
waitin' for my baby

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2009, 04:26 AM

Me.

Well, I don't now because she's over the weight limit, but I did from the time she was sitting well until she hit 35 lbs.

Once in a while when she was little she'd lean forward and bang her head. I think I caught her putting her mouth on the handle once in about three years.

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
Old 03-09-2009, 04:33 AM

I do too.
I probably should worry about it, but with all the other things on my mind I just can't seem to work up to it.

I do have a cart cover, and I think I've used it all of two times.
I just try to make sure that everyone washes their hands when they get home (when I remember), and I have a very strict policy of no mouthing the shopping cart
Old 03-09-2009, 04:56 AM

always put him in the seat, never thought twice about it!
Old 03-09-2009, 05:39 AM

I try, but she wants to walk around. WHY does she not stay in like other kids? Why?

A cart cover, wiping, well what is the point if she's going to crawl out from under the bathroom stall and then stick something in her mouth. Or pick grains off the floor in the bulk-foods aisle and eat them. Cart cover. Hahahahahahaha....

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
Old 03-09-2009, 09:37 AM

I use the cover.

goorganic.jpgwife to footinmouth.gif, currently WOH and geek.gif on my doctorate. (I'm dissertating!) We: novaxnocirc.giftoddler.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gif  with DS (4/09)!
Old 03-09-2009, 09:43 AM

I always put my little ones in the cart seat, and never considered wiping it down or covering it. They're too big now, but apparently they survived it just fine!
Old 03-09-2009, 09:59 AM

don't worry at all.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 03-09-2009, 10:12 AM

I use the cover when they are little, like sitting to a year. Except my kids both somehow ALWAYS find the ONE little spot that isn't covered, and chew on it- Ew! If I don't have the cover, I don't worry about it too much. We just wash hands well when we get home.

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
Old 03-09-2009, 10:34 AM

I never used a cover or wiped down a cart. Kids are too big for a cart now but they sat in them for many years. I never worried

WOHM to DS11 and DD9, both T1Ds

Old 03-09-2009, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Stick them in the seat (no cover, no wiping). Then they climb out when I'm not looking (the second two did it at under a year old).

PS. I LOVE Sid the science kid. DD2 (3yo) was out in the snow the other day with a shovel that was too big for her. She put it under the snow, then pushed down on the handle. I said, "What are you doing?" She said, "I made a lever!"

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 03-09-2009, 10:45 AM

I absolutely have to use the cover because the deli gives kids slices of cheese so I know all the carts have cheese residue on them and DD is severely allergic to dairy. With my older one sometimes I wouldn't use the cover, but I usually did because I liked the pocket for her snack and drink.

Beth wife to Tom and mommy to Therese 11/4/04 Anna Mary 6/15/07 and Veronica 10/20/09
Old 03-09-2009, 10:49 AM

Me... all three kids have sit in a grocery cart and have never had any illness because of it.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

Old 03-09-2009, 11:29 AM

I, also, have food allergic DD and used cover when she sat. Now at 3, she prefers her own cart and uses the sanitizer wipes to clean. Along with the cheese residue, our local store also serves cookies that are manufactured in facility with peanuts (another potential problem).
Old 03-09-2009, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Yea, never used a cover....never wiped the handle.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Old 03-09-2009, 11:35 AM

No covers or wiping here, either.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:15 PM

No Covers or wiping here either. Though I am pretty sure I have brought home a bug or two from it. We had a pretty bad stomach flu last winter after a shopping trip.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
Old 03-09-2009, 01:20 PM

I used the cover I it. I now wipe it off but ds is to big for it but he is a runner so I make him sit in it anyways He is a small 4yo but ehh I don't want to loose my Ds so people can give me weird looks I will also put him in the back of the cart only once in a while because evertime I do he gets a cold

Glenn bouncy.gif 11*09 Joe 4*04 peace.gif Me praying.gif & Hubby geek.gif

Quote:

Old 03-09-2009, 01:55 PM

Never used a cover or wiped down the cart. I think maybe those anti-bacterial wipes they have near the carts scare me more than any germs? I don't want to touch them and then have to go wash my hands.

eta:
4 kids who have always sat in the cart and they are almost never sick... and when they are it consists of a low grade fever and they sleep a bit more for a day or two, that's it.

If I had a kid who was always coming down with something, I might do things differently. Like, put them in a baby carrier every single time, instead of use the seat in the cart.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:02 PM

No covers or wiping here and we always used the seat. It never occured to me, and when I first saw a mother doing this I assumed her kid was immunocompromised, going through chemo, had allergies - something to make her want to take such precautions.

Now I realize that it's something folks with healthy kids do, too. I don't see the need for it, myself (except in situations like I mentioned.)
Old 03-09-2009, 02:04 PM

My kids are now 4 1/2 and 3. I don't cover or wipe down carts and, actually, we aren't really good at washing hands around here, either. My kids are no sicker than other kids we know.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:11 PM

I use the cover. A friend's little one got salmonella recently, and they suspect the shopping cart. They don't eat chicken, and have no turtles/pets that harbor salmonella.

2 colds in 19 months of life!! I want it to stay that way!
Old 03-09-2009, 02:19 PM

I use the cover only because it has hooks for his toys. That way I don't have to keep picking up stuff while shopping. He still gnaws on the not covered part of the cart.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:21 PM

Me. We have one of those covers, but I've only used it when my kids were little and needed the padding.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
Old 03-09-2009, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I always used a cover (which I made) for ds when he was a little munchkin.

But, not so much because of germ fears (I was never too rabid about that).

Using a cover was about comfort!!

The cover I made was of soft fabric (imprinted with poison-dart frogs in bright colours), and had extra padding (memory foam) in the seat and a wide band (lined with flannel) that had velcro around the back. It held him in place beautifully and comfortably (without propping things around him to hold him up!). He couldn't reach the velcro, so no worries about his trying to climb out (he never tried to undo it anyway). The cart handle was also covered and that made it more comfortable for me, as well (he never gnawed on it). I had loops on it to hold a little toy for him to play with as well as a small plastic mirror (though he generally preferred to look around and listen to me talk to him about things!).

The carts were often cold/freezing in the Winter, wet after a rain and hot in the Summer. I never wanted him to be uncomfortable while we shopped. I think the cover made it so nice for him.

I often made these as gifts for new Moms we knew and I saw them used everytime I met them in the stores. I just bought fabric to make one for my doctor's daughter (she is also a doctor and loves Mothering!) to use for her baby (now 7 months old).
Old 03-09-2009, 04:03 PM

No cover or wiping here.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:05 PM

No cart covers or wiping down here. Exposure to germs makes the immune system healthy!
Old 03-09-2009, 04:13 PM

I plan to use one. I do believe germs are good for kids, but I just can not get over how disgusting shopping carts are. They're never washed, they're left outside in our polluted rain, birds poop on them, raw meat juice, people who maybe never wash their hands use them. I think I would have to throw up if I saw my baby with her mouth on a cart.

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).
Old 03-09-2009, 04:40 PM

Yeah, I'm another one who put them in without a second thought- except that maybe they might be uncomfortable. Maybe I'll get a cover for the new LO (and maybe one for DS2, though he's almost too big for one now) just to make shopping more comfortable. It would be nice to have something to keep toys on for them too.

ETA: Anyone know of a WAHM who makes them?

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 03-09-2009, 04:44 PM

Not here, but I do want to get a cover. Mainly because our regular grocery store doesn't have any carts with seatbelts. Very annoying. My kid is a pretty stable sitter, but she is small enough that she could potentially slide out one of the leg holes.

They are definitely gross though. I once saw a woman waiting for a bus at Wal-Mart with her kid in the large part of the kart. The kid peed her pants, and it was all over the cart. She just pulled the kid out, and got on the bus... didn't tell anyone or anything. Ugh.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

User Tag List