Green eye discharge in toddler - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-10-2009, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Picture
(this pic was taken yesterday.. so this suddenly came on overnight and has gotten worse today)

Allergies, or something more serious?

She woke up with it this morning, and it seems like I've been wiping it away all day. It's in both eyes. We've been having nice weather, and she was outside playing yesterday and today, which makes me think allergies. (both eyelids are also slightly red and puffy)

Is there anything I can treat this with at home? I'll probably end up taking her to the doctor tomorrow, but I would like her to get relief from it tonight.

Edit: It's a sinus infection, which is not draining out of her nose, but instead backing up into her eyes and ears. Poor baby has a pretty bad ear infection now.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#2 of 12 Old 03-11-2009, 02:59 AM

It looks like pink eye, which can be caused by allergies, a virus, or bacteria.

I have cured it with over the counter contact lens solution (with boric acid as an ingredient). I use Opti Free with my contacts anyways so that's what I used. I flushed out the eyes 4 times per day. It got better within 2 days, but I continued for 2 weeks just to be sure I got it all.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#3 of 12 Old 03-11-2009, 12:32 PM

try breastmilk if you are able to

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

#4 of 12 Old 03-11-2009, 02:53 PM

If you use baby shampoo, you can put some in the sink with some warm water and just wash her eyes with it. Just splash it around her eyes (it won't sting them). A doctor actually recommended it to me and it worked for pink eye in my child.

And remember to wash you hands like crazy. If it is pinkeye, it is really really contagious.
#5 of 12 Old 03-11-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraplayas View Post
try breastmilk if you are able to
:

Sounds like conjunctivitis (pink eye). Most cases will clear up in about a week. It can be very contagious, so be sure to wash hands/pillows/towels.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#6 of 12 Old 03-11-2009, 05:37 PM

Its an upper repritory infection! DD had it 2 weeks ago.

The Dr said that basicly its a sinus infection that doesnt come out the nostrils but instaed the preasure builds up and it come out the eyes, and usually will also cause an ear infection.

We used some natural eye drops, and a warm rag on her eyes. The dr also said that you can lightly massage the sinus area, and try a neti pot if they will use it.

Hope she is feeling better!

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#7 of 12 Old 03-11-2009, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyblackdot View Post

The Dr said that basicly its a sinus infection that doesnt come out the nostrils but instaed the preasure builds up and it come out the eyes, and usually will also cause an ear infection.
This is exactly what her doctor said today, and she does have an ear infection to go along with it

#8 of 12 Old 03-11-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amylcd View Post
This is exactly what her doctor said today, and she does have an ear infection to go along with it
Poor thing! It made my dd just miserable! And it happened just like you described, she went to sleep and looked fine, and when she woke up her eyes where all gooey and swollen!

Well glad you have it figured out!

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#9 of 12 Old 04-18-2009, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amylcd View Post
Picture
(this pic was taken yesterday.. so this suddenly came on overnight and has gotten worse today)

Allergies, or something more serious?

She woke up with it this morning, and it seems like I've been wiping it away all day. It's in both eyes. We've been having nice weather, and she was outside playing yesterday and today, which makes me think allergies. (both eyelids are also slightly red and puffy)

Is there anything I can treat this with at home? I'll probably end up taking her to the doctor tomorrow, but I would like her to get relief from it tonight.

Edit: It's a sinus infection, which is not draining out of her nose, but instead backing up into her eyes and ears. Poor baby has a pretty bad ear infection now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyblackdot View Post

We used some natural eye drops, and a warm rag on her eyes. The dr also said that you can lightly massage the sinus area, and try a neti pot if they will use it.

Hope she is feeling better!
amylcd and tinyblackdot,
How long did this take to resolve? DD has this going on right now. Plus a perforated ear drum and probable pneumonia (we didn't get an x-ray).
DD is two and so far doesn't want a warm rag on her eyes. I think tomorrow I may try some BM.

familybed1.gif planning a : h20homebirth.gif 6.2011

#10 of 12 Old 04-19-2009, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK_Mama View Post
It looks like pink eye, which can be caused by allergies, a virus, or bacteria.

I have cured it with over the counter contact lens solution (with boric acid as an ingredient). I use Opti Free with my contacts anyways so that's what I used. I flushed out the eyes 4 times per day. It got better within 2 days, but I continued for 2 weeks just to be sure I got it all.
I'm fighting pink eye (well, red eye, really!) myself and am trying anything I can get my hands on. We have OptiFree in the house, but it doesn't say boric acid - I think it's sodium borate. I've been trying this, and while it feels fine, I'm not sure if it will work. Which OptiFree are you using?

I'm frustrated that I didn't see this earlier, as DH *just* bought the OptiFree tonight!! And that was after he went to WF to get me a whole slew of things to try to make it go away. Hopefully, amongst all of them, it will work!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#11 of 12 Old 04-19-2009, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by allielb View Post
amylcd and tinyblackdot,
How long did this take to resolve? DD has this going on right now. Plus a perforated ear drum and probable pneumonia (we didn't get an x-ray).
DD is two and so far doesn't want a warm rag on her eyes. I think tomorrow I may try some BM.
Her eyes cleared up within 3 days. It took about a week for her to get totally better.

#12 of 12 Old 04-19-2009, 06:15 AM

Maddie went on antibiotics, and the gunk cleared up in about 2 days, her puffy eyes took about 4 days or so after that to clear up.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page