Rash on inner elbows...pics *update post 8 and eczema ?* - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-12-2009, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dd, 9, has a weird rash only on both of her inner elbows. Has anyone seen a rash like this before and know what its likely to be? She didn't notice it until I pointed it out, but now says it itches a bit. One looks worse than the other. I'm not sure if its clear in the pics, but the one that looks worse is white inside the oval ring of rash. In other words it has a white circle inside the red rashy part. Does that make sense?

blogging.jpg

#2 of 12 Old 03-12-2009, 03:53 PM

My first thought was a bullseye rash from the Lyme tick, but I think it would be extremely odd to have it bilaterally. The photos you linked to don't look as well-defined as the "classic" bullseye rash and I don't see a central red part, so I'm guessing no.

Was she wearing long sleeves pushed up around her elbows? A new detergent, or fabric? The bunching of the fabric might have provoked a reaction? My DD, who is generally not allergic, had a distinct rash from a new dress quickly after putting it on for the first time. After washing, it was fine.

Perhaps this would be helpful...

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdo...mptom/545.html
#3 of 12 Old 03-12-2009, 04:17 PM

My daughter gets eczema on her inner elbows, and other skin creases when she eats something she is allergic to. It could be eczema from contact with an irritant too. Sorry not to be more help.
#4 of 12 Old 03-12-2009, 04:22 PM

As a child I had eczema on my inner elbows just like that. Don't know what caused it and I eventually outgrew it. It could get really itchy and cracky and uncomfortable. So sorry!
#5 of 12 Old 03-12-2009, 07:18 PM

Looks like eczema to me too. My DD used to get it in her elbows and behind her knees. Have you been putting anything on it?
#6 of 12 Old 03-12-2009, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Eczema.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#7 of 12 Old 03-12-2009, 08:11 PM

I agree with eczema. My DD1 used to get it behind her knees like that.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#8 of 12 Old 03-13-2009, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for replying.

Update- First, the rash is much better today. I had only put some aloe vera on it before I posted. I had checked the shirts she had worn for the past two days and neither should have caused a rash in that area as the sleeves were too short to have reached it. I don't know anything about eczema. Would it be there one day, then practically be gone the next? oh, and she's never shown any signs of allergy to anything before. When dp got home he said it looked 'yeasty', so I put some watered down grapefruit seed extract on it twice before bed. I've heard of yeast in the armpits but never the inner elbow. So I don't know if that helped or it was just coincedence. I do know that stuff kicks yeast butt though. I did clip her nails to help prevent infection in case she scratched and figured the grapefruit seed couldn't hurt in any case because it is supposed to have some antibacterial properties too.

blogging.jpg

#9 of 12 Old 03-13-2009, 12:36 PM

I've had that my whole life. I generally get it when the weather starts to change. It's that strange? In fact, I just had it a couple weeks ago as it started to warm up here.

I make a salve out of emu oil, beeswax and some tea tree and lavender essential oils. I apply it daily and it's gone within a couple days.
#10 of 12 Old 03-13-2009, 01:44 PM

Could it have been a heat rash? Eczema can come and go if she was exposed to an allergen for a short time...

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#11 of 12 Old 03-13-2009, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know. Heat rash crossed my mind too, but that would be odd, wouldn't it? Because of the location and it wasn't anywhere else on her body?

blogging.jpg

#12 of 12 Old 03-14-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRubyandKen View Post
I don't know. Heat rash crossed my mind too, but that would be odd, wouldn't it? Because of the location and it wasn't anywhere else on her body?
It really does look like eczema. Lots of kids get it in the creases of their elbows and knees. My DD had it in the creases of her elbows when she was little. A lot of kids outgrow it. If it bothers her, you can use the emu salve I posted or, there are other salves and creams specific for eczema that you can get at the health food store.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page