need a pede in boston - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-15-2002, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we'll be moving to boston/cambridge area with a newborn in the fall. i need to find a pediatirician who can deal with our selective vaccination plans. please help! i'm open to hearing about other kinds of practitioners, too, but insurance needs to cover costs.

also: how come the community recommended practitioner forum got closed?
#2 of 5 Old 04-15-2002, 11:21 PM

Hi demetrr
I responded to a similar thread just a few weeks ago. I live North of Boston and have a great pediatrician, Dr. Horowitz in Danvers. He's an MD and a homeopath, unfortunately he also has a waiting list for his practice.

In Jamaica Plain there is a Christine Luthra, MD and homeopath.

In Brookline there is Janet Levatin, MD and homeopath, she won't vaccinate so some insurance companies won't cover her as a pediatrician.

At Wellesley Pediatric Associates in Weston or Medfield. There Mark Blumenthal who although not an AP doctor per se, he is not one to "poo-poo" AP parenting practices.

Dr. Ann Becker of Newton-Wellesley Family Pediatrics, personally practices/d family bed and is very supportive of AP practices.

The only one I know personally is Dr. Horowitz the rest were mentioned to me.

Hope this info helps.
#3 of 5 Old 04-24-2002, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

hi Wendy:

thanks so much for your help! we'll be living in Cambridge, and i have yet to figure out which communities are nearest, but with a list like this I'm sre something will turn up.
#4 of 5 Old 04-26-2002, 04:51 PM

I took my daughter to Janet Levatin when I lived in the Boston area. She *does* vaccinate and occassionally asked me to reconsider certain ones, but did not pressure me, and was certainly willing to care for my dd. She only saw her a few times, but I did not have any major complaints. Brookline is near Cambridge, so is Jamaica Plain. Danvers if more of a hike (about 1/2 hour to an hour, depending on traffic), but I've heard good things about Dr. Horowitz.

SMC to Sophia, age 15, and Eleanor, age 9, and mother hen to too many nursing students to count!

#5 of 5 Old 04-26-2002, 06:24 PM

It's interesting that Janet Levatin used to vaccinate. When I called her office 2mos ago her office asst told me that she had stopped all vaccinating and she told me that most insurance companies therefore wouldn't cover her as a pediatrician. I wonder what finally made her stop all together.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page