RSV:Baby placed in medically induced coma! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 03-13-2009, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please tell me what you know about RSV and/or medically induced comas. Dh's cousins baby was just placed into a coma to help him breath. I am getting bits and pieces of the story but....it seems that the baby got sick sunday, he got worse, they went to the hospital...Im assuming they went to the local hospital and were transferred to childrens medical in dallas, thats where he is now. I am crying while Im typing this. Im so upset. I would be devasted at any rate that the baby is sick,but what makes me just ill to my stomach (I really want to puke right now) is how much smoke that baby is exposed to. There are four chain smoking adults in that home. I know he would have gotten RSV anyway (three school age children in the home), but I cant help but thinking that he would have had a much better shot at overcoming it if it hadnt been for the smoking. Am I wrong? He was a full term, healthy baby. At four months he already weighs 20lbs. Not that it helps to blame, thats not it. I would never kick the parents while thier down, so I wont be mentioning it to them. Its just that on top of my worry for a child that I love, I am feeling anger that he was not able to fight it off because of something that could have been controlled by the adults around him.

Mostly Im wondering what the prognosis is? How easy is it to bring a baby out of a medically induced coma? How bad must it be if they needed to do this in the first place? Im not finding much online but will try again. Please tell me he's going to be okay!

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 03-13-2009, 10:47 AM

In my experience with an adult who was put into a medically induced coma...

It was because the docs had a hard time intubating him. His airway was swollen and he might not have been laying still enough.

As for the smoking, many times parents are asked if they smoke so that the docs are aware of it if there is a sick child. Hopefully this is the case with the little one that you write about and perhaps they were or will be schooled on the importance of not smoking around that child.

I will send a prayer up for this little boy that everything goes well.

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#3 of 14 Old 03-13-2009, 11:20 AM

The coma could be to give his body a chance to heal and for him to tolerate the tubes and other equipment. The staff may even discuss the smoking with them now if they smell of smoke when visiting. An indication of how serious the baby's condition is will be if he is in a regular room or ICU. Have comfort in knowing that he is getting the best care at a Children's hospital.
#4 of 14 Old 03-13-2009, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

He is in ICU. He isnt breathing on his own and is on a ventilator and a feeding tube. The mom is trying to pump for him, but though she ususally has a really good supply, she seems to be one of those people who just cant get milk with a pump. When I spoke to her she told me that she had only left his side to go smoke....so Im guessing they havent made the connection. She said it will be two to three days before they can give her a prognosis. Once when they let the meds tamper off a bit, he opened his eyes and looked at her so thats good right? Anyway, they are planning to get him in the drug induced coma for at least two to three more days, then see how he his.

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
#5 of 14 Old 03-13-2009, 03:55 PM

I would sooo speak up about the smoking. Don't put their habit before this baby's safety. Wouldn't you want to know if you were doing something to make your LO sick or worse? If you can't bring yourself to speak to the parents, maybe make a call to the doc in charge of the baby's care?
#6 of 14 Old 03-13-2009, 04:27 PM

The coma is probably sedation to keep the baby from fighting the vent. The vent is probably to give the body some rest, if the kid is working hard to breathe he's either going to not heal quickly or he'll just wear himself out with all the effort.

Stopping sedation will bring him around. Most sedatives used have a really short half life and people start to arouse a few minutes after the meds are shut off.

Hopes this helps.
#7 of 14 Old 03-13-2009, 10:14 PM

Some children's hosptials have pumping rooms for moms with really good pumps. She can also ask for help from a lactation consultant. Hope he is better soon.
#8 of 14 Old 03-13-2009, 11:19 PM

If he got sick on Sunday, how did it happen that he got worse so quickly?

Did he get vaccinated the week before?
#9 of 14 Old 03-14-2009, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by not now View Post
The coma is probably sedation to keep the baby from fighting the vent. The vent is probably to give the body some rest, if the kid is working hard to breathe he's either going to not heal quickly or he'll just wear himself out with all the effort.

Stopping sedation will bring him around. Most sedatives used have a really short half life and people start to arouse a few minutes after the meds are shut off.

Hopes this helps.
Yes it does! Knowing how it works makes me feel much better about the coma. Of course Im worried that they say his lungs are failing and he cnat breath on his own. He had a blood transfution last night, to get oxygenated blood in him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbinsc View Post
Some children's hosptials have pumping rooms for moms with really good pumps. She can also ask for help from a lactation consultant. Hope he is better soon.
Yep, hosptial grade pump, all that, she just cant manage to get more than two oz at at time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti View Post

Good question and I dont know. Im assuming it took hold quickly cuz his poor lungs were already compromised? Are there four month shots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkinPA View Post
I would sooo speak up about the smoking. Don't put their habit before this baby's safety. Wouldn't you want to know if you were doing something to make your LO sick or worse? If you can't bring yourself to speak to the parents, maybe make a call to the doc in charge of the baby's care?
I have brought up the smoking before. They know I wont come over with my kids unless they all smoke outside (but the smoke just hanging in the air is still so bad it chokes me, we come home and strip and batheP). They once told another guest who was so confused as to why they coudlnt smoke inside while I was there that it was becuase my son has asthma. I responded with, "well, its not good for any child and you shouldnt smoke around them regardless". Irony is, there is an asthmatic child in that home and they smoke around him. He has been taken out more than once by ambulance. I NEVER said that I didnt want smoke around my children because one is asthmatic, I said I dont want smoke around my children, end stop. So the fact that they came up with that tells me they know you shouldnt smoke around an asthmatic child, yet they do.... so.

When the baby was in utero I brought it up (mom smoke the whole pregnancy with all of her kids and "oh they are fine"), I brought it up when he was born and was told "oh we'll smoke in the other room" as if smoke doesnt move. DH says they smoke just feet away from the bassinet any time he's been over there.

So, I dont know if they really dont get it or if they just are in denial or what. But I will go to visit and when I do, I will make sure the doctor knows so they can counsel them appropriately. I just am afraid if I say something I'll come across as meaning "this is your fault" or "I told you so" and I do not want to add to thier pain, even though I DO feel that they bear responsibility in this. Plus I think coming from a doctor, it carries more weight than coming from me, the "overtop hippie" in the family who eats weird food, doesnt spank her kids and breastfeeds a four year old for the love of god...... Yes, we manage to get along ok but they dont understand me and Im sure they see the smoking thing as another area where I "go over the top".

Im sure the medical staff is aware as she leaves to go outside and smoke fairly often. Surely they smell the smoke on her?

cherry onthe sundae? The father got arrested friday so he has no idea this is even going on and is not there for his wife and child when they need him. Just totally irresponsible, way to old to be doing stupid things like this (NOT his first time in jail).

When I babysat for them overnight, first thing I did was give baby a bath then dig out my babys old clothes for him, I could not even open the diaper bad without the smell of smoke knocking me over, noway was I putting those clothes on that clean baby, I mean, his baby clothes smelled of smoke stronger than when my dh comes in after smoking (yes, my dh has this bad habit to, but he never does it in the house or around the kids and he actually changes out of his smokey clothes when he comes inside).

Im heartsick thinking that he might not make it. And I feel that I should have been much, much more vocal about the smoking!!! I should have been more aggressive, but they probally would have just quit talking to me....but what if someone would have listened?

#10 of 14 Old 03-14-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti View Post

I was wondering the same thing...is he formula fed? Does he have a history of respiratory illness?

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#11 of 14 Old 03-14-2009, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by claddaghmom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti
I was wondering the same thing...is he formula fed? Does he have a history of respiratory illness?
Sometimes things just happen quickly with viruses like this. I didn't deal with RSV, but a wicked case of croup in my daughter (2-1/2 yrs old, and has had no vaccinations for at least 9 months), and she went from a little stuffy/runny nose, to 4 hours later (at midnight) literally unable to catch a breath so we rushed to the ER (this was after taking her outside in the cold night air to help open her up, which helped minimally and only temporarily, she started to struggle to breathe again after about 15 min outside) She had to have an epinephrine breathing treatment to open her airways up and start breathing normally again. And we are a household where neither parent has ever smoked, none of our family or friends smoke, and the kids have never been exposed to smoke other than if someone is smoking in public outside. Once the airway gets swollen, especially in a little one, it's a bad, bad situation. It can happen very quickly. In a healthy non-smoke exposed kid if it can do what it did to my daughter in 4 hours, I can imagine it could do even mroe damage in a child with a compromised airway form second hand smoke.

OP, I hope that your nephew recovers, and that your relatives can find the strength to stop smoking.

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#12 of 14 Old 03-14-2009, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by claddaghmom View Post
breastfed, though mom smokes and they have already starting giving cereral in the bottle (hey, I tried to tell them not to!). Wow, I wish a doctor would actually ask these types questions. Ive never had a doc ask if my child was bf or ff when diagnosing illness. Wouldnt it be great if the medical community recognized the role of infant feeding practices in mortality and morbidity?

You guys are good at history taking!

No history of ANY health issues that I am aware of.

Im thinking that there IS a four month checkup for shots and Im thinking that I remember being told he had his shots...in fact, now that you ask, I remember being told he didnt feel well because he had his shots....

#13 of 14 Old 03-14-2009, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

OMG! I just looked up the four month schedule...holy crap! Among other things, there are FOUR respitory virus injected.....

I cannot beleive that I ever did this to my children or that I never even realized WHAT ALL went into them....

My lucky youngest child who has never had even one....

#14 of 14 Old 03-15-2009, 07:20 AM

I can imagine it must be hard to watch an innocent child you love be hurt by the choices of adults responsible for his care.

Nicotine addiction is horrible, and I hope the family is able to overcome it. Maybe this will be a wake-up call and will be the impetus for real change rather than lip service.

To be honest, if she chain smokes regularly, I think it's probably a physiological necessity for her to have an occasional cigarette right now during this crisis, nevermind a psychological one.

I think you're right that it's important to avoid inducing defensiveness as it might be counterproductive and ruin any relationship you have.

I hope there is lots of good news to come!

4 kids under 10

User Tag List