Mothering Forum banner

My DD has MENINGITIS **UPDATE**

11K views 171 replies 51 participants last post by  georgia 
#1 ·
After not feeling well for 5+ days, I picked up my DD from her sleep and noticed her lifeless and stiff in the back. I rushed her to ER knowing something couldn be very wrong. The dr. did a spinal tap, and while it was clear, the hour long test came back positive for viral meningitis. She was started on antibiotics and seemed like after a couple of hours, she perked up (she had laid on my chest all day, completely lifeless). She was tranferred to CHOC hospital. The ER did a Gram staining which showed Negative for bacteria. We are still waiting for the spinal fluid to culture. They are going to let us know ASAP if they find bacteria. The doctor as CHOC is pointing towards bacteria because of what the blood results point to. I am praying it is viral.

If I could turn the clock back , I would have vaccinated, in a heartbeat. She also had her last dose (3rd) of hib 4 days before the fever started. From then, she got worse, especially last night and today. I went to my doc yesterday, and he said it was just the flu.

Please pray for us, send my Baby healing white light. She is meant to live a life here.

I feel as though I am dying inside, seing my body float above.

What can you do to help me? What is the prognosis? My homeopathic doctor recommends Germanium? (spelling?)

See less See more
#152 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by KimberlyD0 View Post
I am so not good at explaining myself. I was meaning bactira in deseases, not in the enviroment.

I have a hard time explaining things.

I was basically meaning that with something that is viral the body can fight it off on itsown with little to no help, where as when you get a bactirial infection you need help to fight it. The body needs the assistence of anti-biotics to fight it off and recover.

So for example I would rather have a viral infection then a bactirial one.

Not true at all. We simply have figured out one fairly effective way to fight bacteria. We're still way behind in fighting viruses. I believe someone else mentions HIV, Hepatitis, etc.

Viruses were discovered AFTER bacteria. We still don't know much about them. In many ways they are MUCH more dangerous than bacteria.

Humans have been fighting off bacterial infections without antibiotics for all of human history.

-Angela

#153 ·
I've been following this discussion with concern and interest and first off I want to say, Lollicup - I am so glad you're baby is getting better and you are both home now. What a very scary thing to have experienced. It's a mother's nightmare to have a truely sick, sick child.

Re: the thought that your body needs help to fight off bacterial infections (in general - not talking about bacterial meningitis or other really nasty infections). This seems to be a very commonly held belief. Just this past week I had conversations with 2 nurses re: natural treatments for UTI's. I had heard increasing fluids and drinking unsweetened cranberry juice could help fight it. The first nurse, who I work with, told me these measures will decrease the symptoms but the UTI *can not* be cured without an abx. Not believing her, I asked the next nurse I came across who said this is true because the fluids reduce this irritation but the bacteria remains in the urinary tract indefinitely until you tx with abx.

So I looked it up in PubMed and sure enough found studies showing the use of increased fluids and cranberry tablets or cranberry juice did, in fact, eliminate the bacteria in UTI's. Yet these 2 very skilled, very knowledgable medical professionals were certain that if you have a bacterial infection the only way to eliminate it from your body is through abx. And probably if I had taken a poll of all the nurses in my agency most would have agreed.

#155 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lollicup View Post
Imagine yourself in the hospital with your DC, awaiting results of the spinal tap which takes 48 hours. Imagine how you would feel if your DC was diagnosed with meningitis for whom they were not vaccinated against? How would you REALLY feel? If you could turn the clock back and choose vaccination, would you settle for some vaccine reactions? Can you be in the hospital with the diagnosis of meningitis without vaccinating and feel good about your decision at that moment as the spinal fluid is being cultured? Not being vaccinated, it can come back viral or bacteria. What would run through your mind? These are questions to ask yourself.
I DID ask my mom...she said that I got viral meningitis in 1st grade (so I was about 6 I guess) She also said that I had, in fact, been given HIB. I asked her, "If someone had come up to you afterwards and said 'we have a vaccine for this to ensure she will never get it again' would you have taken it?" Without hesitation she said NO. I asked why and she basically said that if the Hib hadn't protected me what was the point in getting ANOTHER vax? AND, it was viral so it didn't matter anyway. She told me that yes, she was terrified but she knew that she had done all she could as my mother and that was comforting enough for her.
You've said that you didn't know what to look for because you aren't a doctor...my mom worked in the medical field since she was 17 (she was 34 when she had me so you can see how much experience she had) and she still didn't catch it was meningitis until I got a stiff neck. She'd been treating me at home because she thought I had the flu. It wasn't until my neck was so stiff I couldn't move it AT ALL that she rushed me to the ER. So I'm the last person that's going to imply that you "should have known" because, hell, the woman with the medical experience didn't "know" until later on.
I know you feel attacked right now and I really don't want to continue that feeling. The only thing I'M saying is don't make your next decisions regarding your daughter's health based on one scary experience. Don't react out of fear... that's how people get hurt.

#156 ·
Quote:

i knew something was wrong, but i didn't know what it was, because i am not a doctor! Lay off, i'm not perfect and neither are you.
Whoa, mama. I don't think anyone is trying to beat up on you, here.

I'm so sorry, I know this has been a very emotional week for you. I hope you're getting some rest and taking care of yourself.

#157 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
You quoted me saying this, and I didn't say it:

I realize the difference between the two, that's why I had a spinal tap.

You said that if someone were in your shoes........so I responded that I've been there - not with my children, but as a sufferer myself. I KNOW what it feels like to suffer from meningitis for 3+ weeks, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. BUT, even *if* there *was* a vaccine that prevented meningitis, I wouldn't give it to my children.
How sad to put your children at risk for bacteria meningitis.

#158 ·
Quote:

Lollicup, I used to be a 100% believer in vaccines. Now, after 3.5 years of research on the subject I regret deeply giving my son the vaccines he got. I really doubt you would say what you said had you researched the subject well enough. My daughter is unvaccinated and I too would not give her any vaccine, so I guess I am another mother who is willingly "putting her kids at risk".

#159 ·
Quote:

Lollicup, I am sorry that your daughter was so very sick, and I'm glad that she's doing better. But your seemingly willful ignorance, your inability to hear and take in anything that anyone is saying to you that differs from your opinion, and your attacking of other mothers for making different decisions, is really bordering on offensive. You were actually yelling a few posts back. I mostly lurk on the vaccine board because I'm not there to debate, but to learn what I need to make decisions for my children. And I've learned a great deal, after hours of reading and researching. Your posts have become increasingly combative, and I just felt compelled to come out of the woodwork.

It's absolutely mind-boggling to me that you believe the hib shot had a role to play in your dd's meningitis, and yet you're practically yelling at other mothers to run out and get both the prevnar and hib. And I get what you're saying - meningitis has been so scary to you that if there's anything at all you could do to prevent it, you'd jump at the chance. But what many many posters have tried to point out, that you've not heard, is that it appears hib and prevnar don't reduce the overall chances of getting meningitis, and may even increase the risk for scarier, more virulent versions of those illnesses. PP have suggested several times that you do some research on serotype replacement before you make anymore decisions, or jump on others for their decisions. Have you done that? Have you read any of the research that shows that staph (including mrsa - which is killing children) may take the place of the strep that is fought off with the prevnar? You ask how parents would feel if their child contracted meningitis after not receiving hib. I'm going to ask you - how will you feel if your child contracts and dies of mrsa after receiving the prevnar?

What I am trying to point out to you is that many (if not all) of the parents here do a great deal of research and try to understand all sides of the issue before making a decision for their children. I get it - these decisions are life and death. But I am not going to run out and get a vaccine for my child based on a one-sided, fear-based decision.

::Steps down off of soapbox.:: I may get warned for this post, but I just couldn't keep my mouth shut any longer. Again, I am really glad your daughter is okay.

#160 ·
Quote:

HIB & Prevnar DO NOT guarantee protection from meningitis!

Did you know that bacterial meningitis is LESS common in college students than in people aged 18-23 NOT enrolled in college, despite college kids being the target of vaccine "protection"?

#161 ·
I earnestly believe that interfering with the immune system's integrity through artificially introduced diseases, in unnatural combination and routes, damages our ability to respond effectively to naturally acquired diseases. (ignoring the known toxin exposure variable completely)

I'm sorry your child had a viral infection. That sounds very scary!! We are exposed to virus and bacteria and fungus all. the. time. I want our immune systems to be the healthiest they can be, so that we can respond to the hundreds and hundreds of pathological microbials to which we are exposed, not just the 18 or so for which vaccines exist.

Whole food probiotics, nutrient dense, organic whole foods are our most effective holistic tools of improved immune integrity, imo.

Pat

#162 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaurieG View Post

So I looked it up in PubMed and sure enough found studies showing the use of increased fluids and cranberry tablets or cranberry juice did, in fact, eliminate the bacteria in UTI's.

Additionally, unnecessary antibiotics damage the integrity and ability of the immune system to respond to pathological microbials effectively.

The body is an amazing system. There are about 400-600 different microbials in the gut. The body is able to keep them in balance, if we are not killing off the "good bacteria" indiscriminately.

Pat

#165 ·
Quote:

Well, I'm really glad your children are super children. I'm sure they'll never be sick like my DD was. I'm sorry I wasn't so smart.
Actually, about five years ago, our young child had 6-weeks of serious whooping cough. We managed it holistically and am forever grateful that his immune system was strong. It is scary when our children are ill. Now, we are all on classical homeopathy and haven't been seriously ill since.

Pat

#166 ·
Quote:

As others have been writing, I would urge you to to look into what offers protection against serious complications. How you can lower the risk by supporting the immune system - looking into what supports immune function. Of course it is your responsibility to do what is best for your family in your sepcific circumstances. As it is every other parents responsibility to do what is best for their family. Implying that a mother who choses not to vaccinate is irresponsible is inappropriate.

Quote:

Well, I'm really glad your children are super children. I'm sure they'll never be sick like my DD was. I'm sorry I wasn't so smart and a bad mother.
I really am so sorry you are feeling so attacked and hurt by what people are sharing. No one has once said that you were a bad mother. In fact I have read many many supportive posts noting just how responsibly you have mothered your child. Some people do not agree that because a child had viral menigitis this would be a reason to get any vaccine that is marketed as preventing meningitis.
Parents who do vaccinate are not stupid. I really do not think anyone thinks you are stupid.

I hope you are not hurt by what I am writing. And I hope you will have some time to reflect on what happened. It really must have been a nightmare.

#167 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2Mason View Post
Lollicup, I am sorry that your daughter was so very sick, and I'm glad that she's doing better. But your seemingly willful ignorance, your inability to hear and take in anything that anyone is saying to you that differs from your opinion, and your attacking of other mothers for making different decisions, is really bordering on offensive. You were actually yelling a few posts back. I mostly lurk on the vaccine board because I'm not there to debate, but to learn what I need to make decisions for my children. And I've learned a great deal, after hours of reading and researching. Your posts have become increasingly combative, and I just felt compelled to come out of the woodwork.

It's absolutely mind-boggling to me that you believe the hib shot had a role to play in your dd's meningitis, and yet you're practically yelling at other mothers to run out and get both the prevnar and hib. And I get what you're saying - meningitis has been so scary to you that if there's anything at all you could do to prevent it, you'd jump at the chance. But what many many posters have tried to point out, that you've not heard, is that it appears hib and prevnar don't reduce the overall chances of getting meningitis, and may even increase the risk for scarier, more virulent versions of those illnesses. PP have suggested several times that you do some research on serotype replacement before you make anymore decisions, or jump on others for their decisions. Have you done that? Have you read any of the research that shows that staph (including mrsa - which is killing children) may take the place of the strep that is fought off with the prevnar? You ask how parents would feel if their child contracted meningitis after not receiving hib. I'm going to ask you - how will you feel if your child contracts and dies of mrsa after receiving the prevnar?

What I am trying to point out to you is that many (if not all) of the parents here do a great deal of research and try to understand all sides of the issue before making a decision for their children. I get it - these decisions are life and death. But I am not going to run out and get a vaccine for my child based on a one-sided, fear-based decision.

::Steps down off of soapbox.:: I may get warned for this post, but I just couldn't keep my mouth shut any longer. Again, I am really glad your daughter is okay.
: Well said!

#168 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2Mason View Post

Very well said (especially the bold part)

Lollicup, please do not feel attacked. And of course you are a wonderful caring mother. The only problem is that for some reason you decided to plug your ears, completely refusing to hear what other people are saying. And what they are saying has nothing to do with blaming or attacking you; in reality they are giving you a HUGE gift by summarizing for you and sharing with you their HUNDREDS (for some members, THOUSANDS) of hours of research on the subject. This is a gift I SO wish I was given before I started my own research on vaccines.

#170 ·
Quote:
quoted post removed by admin
I don't think that the whole thing is dumb. Yes, the thread did go the wrong way and got a little too emotional. But it does have some great points and I think is a great source of info for lurkers.

HIB and our ex-pedi's lying and twisting the facts about HIB meningitis is what scared us into vaccinating when my son was a baby. I SOOOOO wish I would have read this thread back then, it would have spared me a life-long guilt and regret

So, ladies, please let's keep this thread nice and to the point. I personally would be very sad if it gets locked up or deleted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.