What's your opinion of Pin-X for pinworm infection? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What is your opinion of Pin-X?
It can really help...it's helped my family 1 33.33%
It's worthless...go for a natural cure instead (please give details!) 0 0%
It's worthless...go for the script instead 2 66.67%
It's worthless...you shouldn't treat pinworms at all 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-19-2009, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

We've been struggling with an ongoing pinworm infection in my girls (ages 3 and 5) for what seems like forever.

We've cleaned up their diet, washed sheets almost every day, changed underwear every morning, etc. We've also done a course of Pin-X (we treated the whole family, and re-treated 2 weeks following.)

But they're back...
I've seen the evidence myself on both girls after they complained of their "hineys itching."

Please, please tell me WWYD...would you go for a script from the ped at this point, or just do the Pin-X again? Sheesh...I'm confused. I've checked out the previous posts here and they've left my head spinning. Any previous experiences with a positive outcome would be greatly appreciated.

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
#2 of 7 Old 03-19-2009, 04:21 PM

I think sometimes you have to take Pin-X more than once (and sometimes more than twice) to completely get rid of an infestation.

Keeping the sheets, clothes, and surfaces where the kids play and things they touch (especially in the bathroom) clean will help a lot too.

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

#3 of 7 Old 03-20-2009, 02:18 AM

The prescription medication, Vermox (mebendazole) is much more effective than Pin-X. You need at least 2 doses (2 weeks apart). You may need more than that, but just wait and see what happens.

After you do this you may consider using diatomaceous earth-food grade. I've never used it because I found out about it after my dd's last bout with the worms. If she gets them again (god forbid), I'm planning to try it in combination with Vermox. The reason I say go ahead with the Vermox is that relief is fairly immediate. With the diatomaceous earth, it may take several days to see symptoms improve. At least that is my understanding.

You've probably already read this thread, but just in case you haven't, here it is: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...light=pinworms

Also, I recommend putting zinc oxide (diaper cream) on the kids' bottoms at night. It keeps the worms from laying eggs and reduces the itchiness.
#4 of 7 Old 03-21-2009, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We went through the whole pin-worm thing back in October. I had noticed itching of my own, but when I saw a worm on my son's bottom, I KNEW....and EWWWWW!! I was so grossed out I went and got Pin-X right then and there at 11 p.m. We treated the whole family 4 TIMES, every 2 weeks. It cleared them right up and they haven't been back.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#5 of 7 Old 03-21-2009, 04:18 PM

I am all for natural meds, in fact, I'd rather suffer usually than take anything, but when my housemate and her daughter had pinworms I took the Pin-Ex. I am so glad that I did. DD was bfing so she got her dose through me.

I lived in a natural community at the time and pinworms were transmitted to many kids via the playroom. I saw quickly that the natural cures just weren't working. I didn't think it was worth the waiting around and "trying" them...I went for the real stuff.

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
#6 of 7 Old 03-21-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma1325 View Post
Hi,

We've been struggling with an ongoing pinworm infection in my girls (ages 3 and 5) for what seems like forever.

We've cleaned up their diet, washed sheets almost every day, changed underwear every morning, etc. We've also done a course of Pin-X (we treated the whole family, and re-treated 2 weeks following.)

But they're back...
I've seen the evidence myself on both girls after they complained of their "hineys itching."

Please, please tell me WWYD...would you go for a script from the ped at this point, or just do the Pin-X again? Sheesh...I'm confused. I've checked out the previous posts here and they've left my head spinning. Any previous experiences with a positive outcome would be greatly appreciated.
We used the homeopathic remedy Cina, 2 tablets 3x daily for 3 days. It cleared my DS right up. No mess, no fuss.

Research it on the web. http://www.elixirs.com/prodSearch.cf...tName=Cina&Pro or http://www.1-800homeopathy.com/produ...id=CINA&search[type]=pname&search[query]=Cina are good places to start.
#7 of 7 Old 08-16-2013, 09:03 PM

Add garlic and coconut oil. Pin worms hate both eat it and you can make a topical lotion by mixing coconut oil  and garlic and applying with a q tip, just make in small doses since garlic gets strong with age, also bath with Epsom salts help relieve itching and inflammation. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page