Would you bring your child to a measles party? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Would you bring your child to a measles party?
Yes 26 20.00%
No way 73 56.15%
Maybe - I'm not sure 31 23.85%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 03-22-2009, 04:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyD0 View Post
But it is the same thing, at least for measles, because as much as people think that measles is no big deal, its like a cold, its not. It can, and does cause long term damage, including blindness and deafness and even death. Common? no but it does and has happend. I am not saying vaccinations are right for everyone either, I relise that serious side effects can and do happen, but like with the measles themself, they are not common, nore are they "normal" most children who get the vaccinations will have no long term damage, same as the illnesses themselve.
Some people are not so sure that the reactions are that uncommon - others are wondering if they have even defined what the problems could be. There is no consensus on this yet.
With regard to the measles themselves - while a child who is sick with measles can develop serious complications this is *very* unusual in a well nourished, otherwise healthy child. I remember from previous posts of yours that you had family members who were seriously affected by measles. I also remember from that post that they were leaving behind very difficult lives with conditions far from optimal to good health. (including vaccines, which I understand you to belief to be lifesaving).
I have had measles and I know it is more than a cold - but 22 years later I seem to doing ok. And I passed on immunity to my son via the placenta that would protect him while he was an infant.

Quote:
If I can keep my kids safe from both then I feel I should.
This of course is your responsibility as a parent. To make the best decision for your family.
Quote:
What I am saying is people will go out their way to avoid vaccines that might cause a reaction, but they don't concider that there could be reactions to the illnesses themselves. It just doesn't make sence.
The use of the words 'don't consider' is perhaps not entirely accurate when describing the choices parents make. Not all parents - but many parents who choose not to vaccinate know full well what the options are and are making informed choices with information from a variety of sources.
I agree it would not make sense if you are wanting to avoid illness altogeter.

Quote:
But then why decide not to vaccinate because its to risky because there is a slim chance of a vaccine reaction, but then intentionally expose them when its pretty much garenteed they will then be sick? The is no logic to that.
I want my child to have measles.
Not because I want him to suffer.
Because I am not scared of the disease.
Because I see more benefits to the disease than the vaccine for *my* child.
I am not trying to avoid diseases like measles, mumps, chickenpox etc. If anything I understand having these diseases in childhood to be the safest option out of all the options (including vaccination) that are available to my healthy well nourished child.

Of course many people would not agree with this and might even splurt their morning coffee reading it

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#32 of 51 Old 03-22-2009, 04:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My mother deliberately exposed me and a sibling to measles when we were 1 year and 2 years old so that we would get it and develop natural immunity to it. And sure enough we both got measles. I wasn't the worse for it so if I expose DD to a measles party she would be getting measles at an even older age than I was when I contracted measles. That rambling answer was to say "yes".

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#33 of 51 Old 03-22-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyD0 View Post
But it is the same thing, at least for measles, because as much as people think that measles is no big deal, its like a cold, its not. It can, and does cause long term damage, including blindness and deafness and even death. Common? no but it does and has happend.

What I am saying is people will go out their way to avoid vaccines that might cause a reaction, but they don't concider that there could be reactions to the illnesses themselves.
Please don't lump us in with the Private Practice mom. Most (if not all) of us are aware of the potential for complications, as well as how to reduce the incidence of complications. And a few of us dinosaurs have even had measles ourselves.
#34 of 51 Old 03-22-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proverbs31 View Post
Please don't lump us in with the Private Practice mom. Most (if not all) of us are aware of the potential for complications, as well as how to reduce the incidence of complications. And a few of us dinosaurs have even had measles ourselves.

Private Practice mom??

Well as I said. Its not that I think the vaccine is the answer, I just don't feel right perposly makeing my child sick. It just doesn't feel right.

I wasn't inteding to put down moms who do this, so I appologise if I did, I simply was trying to explain why I feel how I do.

Kimberly : momma to Karrigan Kayla : and wife of Kevin
#35 of 51 Old 03-22-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalisis View Post
No. If they contract it through whatever normal course of every day life, ok. I'm not going to go out of my way to get them infected with measles though (nor would I with any other disease - ie chicken pox).

Just my .02 and no need to flame me, it's my kid who wouldn't be contracting measles from the party, not yours.
I agree with you. I never got Chicken Pox, but I was exposed to it several times. My Mom didn't go out and deliberatly expose me.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#36 of 51 Old 03-23-2009, 12:53 AM

I would never, ever, ever deliberately expose my children to ANY illness. I could never live with myself, watching them get sick (and potentially really sick, with complications), and knowing I made it happen. It goes totally against everything I try to do as a mother---because a large part of mothering them is trying to preserve them from harm, whether the harm is temporary suffering or long-term damage. Suffering is suffering.

NO WAY. And we also do not vax.
#37 of 51 Old 03-23-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyler View Post
I would never, ever, ever deliberately expose my children to ANY illness. I could never live with myself, watching them get sick (and potentially really sick, with complications), and knowing I made it happen. It goes totally against everything I try to do as a mother---because a large part of mothering them is trying to preserve them from harm, whether the harm is temporary suffering or long-term damage. Suffering is suffering.

NO WAY. And we also do not vax.
What about preventing long-term damage (maybe even in future generations) through a short-term sickness? I think the "protect from harm" edict is actually a little more complex. Maybe I'm more aware of it because I've had to make some really hard decisions for my kid as a *part* of my protective mothering, but I think it's the same for everyone, actually. Especially when it comes to the complex issue of childhood diseases. If a child who isn't vaxed and doesn't get childhood diseases then ends up getting the disease while pregnant years later and endangering the new baby's development, that seems much more serious to me than a short-term illness when she was a child.

I'm just saying that it's more complex than "protection vs. non-protection" on the part of the parent.

The issue of wanting to protect our children from harm is universal; all of us want that. How to do it is not always straightforward, and that is as much a part of parenting as anything else. Those of us who are making different decisions from you are not less protective, just thinking about protection in a different way. It doesn't make it any easier, taking a risk on behalf of your child. I've done it more times than I can count because of my son's medical situation, and do it sometimes daily in serious medical and psychological ways, and it still sends shivers down my spine to be responsible for the unknown in that way. But that's the reality of parenting -- for all parents -- and it requires tenderness with self and flexibility more than anything else. In your case, if you choose the protection of not exposing your children now, you could be "responsible" for not protecting your grandchildren and adult children in a few years. In my case, if I expose my son to the chickenpox now in hopes of avoiding future more serious illness, I run the risk of responsibility for something serious happening now. It's a trade-off; there is no right or wrong here. Wouldn't it be easier if there was?

I think the trick is not creating rules, but creating an ethos of parenting that encourages informed decision-making and emotional support for the plentiful gray areas that exist.

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#38 of 51 Old 03-23-2009, 12:20 PM

Nah, the risks of contracting measles is so small, that I wouldn't choose to introduce it into our life.

The risk of death is due to a complication secondary to measles, usually in children under age 15 months. Children are not given an initial MMR until age 12-15 months anyway. It doesn't work earlier, incompletely immunizes, therefore multiple doses given. Measles itself is not deadly.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/bv...6.section.1531
http://www.vaccinationnews.com/Scand.../Scandal33.htm

The risk of death, secondary to measles is 1-3 people per 1000 CASES of measles. With fewer than 100 cases in the US population, most over the age of 15 months, the risk of death is infinitesimal. http://aapredbook.aappublications.or...ct/2006/1/3.75
http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/m/measles/stats.htm

The possibility that anyone in the US could even acquire measles is 0.00000033%. Basically, 1 CASE per 3 million people!

Back when we were evaluating vaccination, we did these calculations for each disease and vaccination.

We don't vaccinate based upon the media fear-mongering. Do the math. Trust your body. But, we don't go looking for trouble, as they say, lol.

Pat

I have a blog.
#39 of 51 Old 03-29-2009, 01:00 AM

mbravebird---yes, you are right, and I have thought out all those issues. I have thought them out at length. Your response is also what I agree with....but for me, the answer (at least right now) is that I would not intentionally expose them. Now if they contract CP accidentally, well, so it goes. Not much I can do about that.

I'm about to get my titers drawn to see if I even had CP as a kid. I'm hoping I did so that if my kids DO get exposed, I don't get it! Now, I suppose that is very paradoxical of me, it really is. But anyway, that's all I feel comfortable doing at the moment.

Does anyone know if kids can be naturally immune to CP, because of the mother's immunity being passed on in the breastmilk? I mean, even if your child never had the CP, can they be immune? I've always wondered about this. Because our kids came into contact, close and extended contact, with a kid with ACTIVE CP, and I didn't know it until too late. None of them ever developed chicken pox from that exposure. At least not visibly, anyway, if it is even possible to have an invisible case of CP. Which was good, because I was in the first trimester of pregnancy at the time, and like I said, I don't know if I've had CP. I was also glad they didn't get it because they just would have felt lousy!

I live in mortal fear of CP, I'll admit it. The name alone just makes my stomach turn.

Edited to add: oops, I just remembered this thread is about measles, not CP. Duh.
#40 of 51 Old 03-29-2009, 01:26 AM

i voted maybe. if my children were old enough for them to get a "good case" and gain true immunity, assuming i actually knew anyone whose children had measles and were willing to "share the love"...i would rather my kiddos had it as as children rather than the possibility of getting it as an adult. for the time being i don't really worry about it because i don't know anyone locally (yet?!) who shares the same beliefs as i do about health matters. i'm quite the hippy dippy health nut here in OKC.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#41 of 51 Old 03-29-2009, 01:42 AM

Not in a million. It's like bringing a child to a ped clinic for vaccination. Children are NOT supposed to get extraneous diseases. It is not a healthy choice either.
#42 of 51 Old 03-31-2009, 06:20 PM

I don't know how people can say that measles is a mild childhood disease. It's not. I've had measles and was okay, but my little sister was very, very ill from it in the mid-1960's with a terribly high fever. We were all so worried, I still remember that 40 years later. I wouldn't intentionally expose a child to it for any reason!

By the way, I have terrible allergies too.
#43 of 51 Old 04-21-2011, 08:02 AM

When my daughter is a little older I will definitely look for measles, mumps and Chicken pox parties.  I had them all and it was no big deal and I dont worry about contracting them as an adult.  To call them deadly diseases is a grosse overstatement and beyond common sense.  BTW, my daugher has never been vaxed and will not be under my care. ^^

#44 of 51 Old 04-21-2011, 10:35 AM

What a great question!  I stopped vaxing about 2 years ago.  Kids are 5,3, and 3mo.  I am very interested in learning about this.

So .... if I can be so bold as to summarize the reasons TO go to a pox/measles party according to above posters ... 

1. Because the... symptoms? danger? are increased if one contracts the disease as an adult vs. as a child.   

If this is the case, and there is really only a 1 in 3million chance of contracting measles naturally in the US ... then that is something for a mom to weigh.  What is the chance of contracting cp naturally in the US?

2. Contracting the disease improves your immune system (and not just against that one disease)

3. Because there is a much greater risk to your unborn grandchild if your daughter gets these diseases as a pregnant adult.

4. Contracting the disease lowers the risk for allergies (or "may lower the risk for allergies")

5. Because you don't vax, and some jobs/schools require vax or titers

Are these right???  Is that an appropriate summary?  Please elaborate, correct, and add more reasons.  This is a fascinating topic!

#45 of 51 Old 04-21-2011, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm interested in your statement that one has a 1 in 3 million chance of getting wild measles - where are you getting this data?

I think your list of reasons you've summarized as to why a parent might want their child to get measles is accurate, however I would add what I think is probably one of the most important reasons - Natural lifetime immunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMommy2 View Post

What a great question!  I stopped vaxing about 2 years ago.  Kids are 5,3, and 3mo.  I am very interested in learning about this.

So .... if I can be so bold as to summarize the reasons TO go to a pox/measles party according to above posters ... 

1. Because the... symptoms? danger? are increased if one contracts the disease as an adult vs. as a child.   

If this is the case, and there is really only a 1 in 3million chance of contracting measles naturally in the US ... then that is something for a mom to weigh.  What is the chance of contracting cp naturally in the US?

2. Contracting the disease improves your immune system (and not just against that one disease)

3. Because there is a much greater risk to your unborn grandchild if your daughter gets these diseases as a pregnant adult.

4. Contracting the disease lowers the risk for allergies (or "may lower the risk for allergies")

5. Because you don't vax, and some jobs/schools require vax or titers

Are these right???  Is that an appropriate summary?  Please elaborate, correct, and add more reasons.  This is a fascinating topic!

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#46 of 51 Old 04-21-2011, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)

No WAY would I purposely infect my kids with a disease... in rare cases measles can cause fatal complications. Why take that risk?

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#47 of 51 Old 04-22-2011, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I might take my kids to a chicken pox party, but not measles. I wouldn't be upset if my kids came by it naturally, but unless we're planning to stay completely out of contact with other people until the incubation period is over, I won't expose them on purpose. Measles can be pretty serious for some people and it spreads easily. I'd feel really awful if my kid then infected someone's newborn or an immunocompromised person.

Mom to DD 7 and DS 5.
#48 of 51 Old 04-22-2011, 06:38 PM

Well said, mbravebird.

treehugger.gifgoorganic.jpggd.giftriadadopt.jpgfamilybed1.gif

#49 of 51 Old 04-22-2011, 06:50 PM

I'm reading a lot of posts re the right age for exposure to ensure lifetime immunity. I'm currently looking for CP (not sure about measles yet). What is the minimum age for exposure to CP to ensure immunity? Is 19 months too young? I'm not worried about chickenpox complications, but I also don't want to have to expose my DD more than once.

treehugger.gifgoorganic.jpggd.giftriadadopt.jpgfamilybed1.gif

#50 of 51 Old 04-23-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

I'm interested in your statement that one has a 1 in 3 million chance of getting wild measles - where are you getting this data?

I think your list of reasons you've summarized as to why a parent might want their child to get measles is accurate, however I would add what I think is probably one of the most important reasons - Natural lifetime immunity.

Somebody said that upthread .... that's why I wrote "...if there is really only a 1 in 3mill chance...."

I'm interested to know if that is true or not too!

And ... I am not trying to be argumentative, just curious (assuming that stat is true) ... do we really need Natural Lifetime Immunity to something with a 1 in 3mill chance ... so badly that we would purposely infect our kids?  Or perhaps that is a spin-off thread - since everyone would have a different threshold.  1 in 2? 1 in 10?  1 in 100? 1 in a billion?

#51 of 51 Old 04-24-2011, 06:55 AM

Nope.  Measles can have serious complications (does not usually) and I would not purposely infect someone with it.  I would not be able to live with myself if something horrible happened and I purposely gave it to my child.  In many way, it is the same reason I do not vax.  I am also fairly sure the stats on a person actually getting measles in this country naturally are pretty low - so it is not really a concern of mine.

Chicken pox is a concern.  I would like my youngest to get it now rather than as a teen or adult.  I might do a pox party (would have to research way more if the party presents itself).  Unlike measles, CP is almost always fairly benign in kids and there is a decent (although declining) chance they will get it so controlling the factors by which they get it may be in order.

I agree with whomever above said "do the math"

What is the likelihood of them contracting the disease naturally?  is it something you have to worry about?  What is the likelihood of serious complication in your age group and child?  Are the numbers small enough that you can take the chance?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page