back of knee rash on two kids? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 03-23-2009, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Both of my kids have this red rash on the back of there knees. I have NO idea what it is from. my daughters has become bright red/pink and is painful to the touch. I tried putting some cream on it but it hurt REALLY bad so we nixed that idea.

my first thought was yeast but both kids have been on a high dose of probiotics for tummy troubles there were having... so I don't see how that is even possible. they also have coconut milk yogurt every single day. and they don't have much sugar in any form really. no juices even.

I can't think of anything weird they are or did differently. if it was one kid i wouldn't think much of it - that maybe it's a heat rash, but it's both... and it's not hot outside... so I'm lost

any ideas?

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 03-23-2009, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
eczema + tummy troubles = food intolerance
At least that's my thought. You mention having coconut milk yogurt. Are you already avoiding some foods?
Isn't behind the knees one of the most likely places for eczema?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#3 of 17 Old 03-23-2009, 04:53 PM

Yup. Behind the knees sounds like eczema.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#4 of 17 Old 03-23-2009, 04:57 PM

OOOH! I need help with this one too! Ds has had a rash behind one knee since he was like 2 or 3 months old! (Now he's 19.5 months and its still there) he's CNP thinks its eczema, but I don't know what to do from there??

So, if it is eczema (and he's had it for like FOREVER) does it mean its something I eat? (he's still nursing?)

And what can I do for it besdies eliminating food (not that I am not willing, but jeez he's had it forever, I don't know even where to start!)
#5 of 17 Old 03-23-2009, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

they are off of gluten and dairy already. (they have allergies and celiac).

if it was food related wouldn't it be unlikley to get the rash behind the knees at the exact same time in the exact same place? most people don't have identical reactions to foods out of nowhere.... and i can't think of anything new in our diet.

this just started late last week. at the same time. out of nowhere...

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#6 of 17 Old 03-23-2009, 07:29 PM

it could be a pollen reaction. Eczema is usually caused by environmental or food allergy or food intolerance. You said they had tummy troubles recently too. Eczema seems to favor behind the knees, and if they're both eating the same foods (or cross contamination) and going the same places, it's possible. Look up some pictures of eczema and see if that's what it looks like. When my DD1 had it, it was very red in the creases and pink around the whole back of the knee. Hers didn't itch, but some people's do. Some people's turn weepy (her's didn't).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#7 of 17 Old 03-23-2009, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
it could be a pollen reaction. Eczema is usually caused by environmental or food allergy or food intolerance. You said they had tummy troubles recently too. Eczema seems to favor behind the knees, and if they're both eating the same foods (or cross contamination) and going the same places, it's possible. Look up some pictures of eczema and see if that's what it looks like. When my DD1 had it, it was very red in the creases and pink around the whole back of the knee. Hers didn't itch, but some people's do. Some people's turn weepy (her's didn't).

it's just odd for them to have it at the exact same time.. and we eat at home 99% of the time. nothing has changed... but i will give it some more thought.

yes it does look like excema, but i initially blew that off thinking they don't eat dairy or gluten, so what could cause it... but I'll rethink it tonight and see if I can come up with something they have been getting new perhaps.

#8 of 17 Old 03-23-2009, 11:29 PM

Is there something going around the county? My son's got red spots all over him.
Melinda
#9 of 17 Old 03-23-2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HennyPenny View Post
yes it does look like excema, but i initially blew that off thinking they don't eat dairy or gluten, so what could cause it... but I'll rethink it tonight and see if I can come up with something they have been getting new perhaps.
But it could be any food. Dairy and gluten are the most common but by no means the only food. And eczema can be either an allergy or an intolerance symptom so it's harder to figure out than some.

#10 of 17 Old 03-23-2009, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
could it be ringworm? Is it itchy or just painful?

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#11 of 17 Old 03-24-2009, 12:47 AM

I'm still saying eczema. The pollen came out here last week, and DH and DS started reacting at the same time - practically down to the hour.

Could be either pollen or a food - in either case, they weren't reacting until their buckets over-flowed last week.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#12 of 17 Old 03-24-2009, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanma View Post
could it be ringworm? Is it itchy or just painful?
hmmm... I don't think so. it's not round in any form... but that gives me a few things to think about.

I'm not throwing the allergy idea out at all. it's just the tend to have very differing responses to allergies and never have either had pollen issues. so it cropping up at the exact same times seems very odd to me. doesn't mean it can't happen, of course. just makes me more suspicious of other things first.

thank you for all the ideas though! I'm off to google a bit!

#13 of 17 Old 03-24-2009, 11:51 AM

My DD had been eczema free all winter, but last week a rash behind both knees appeared along with a few other eczema spots. In her case it's due to the pollen.
#14 of 17 Old 03-24-2009, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

we're in PA... we're not even allowed to have pollen until May! haha

no really... I guess there could be something out there with pollen... that isn't frozen. But usually my husband is the first the react. I know there is pollen b/c the second it comes my husband's nose runs, and he wheezes. it's very reliable! hah

#15 of 17 Old 03-24-2009, 02:47 PM

mold is probably high now with things melting.
I thought food because you said they had tummy troubles along with the rash. If it was just the rash, I'd be more apt to say environmental.

#16 of 17 Old 03-24-2009, 09:18 PM

I think coconut is very high in salicylates, which some people are sensitive too. http://salicylatesensitivity.com/info2
#17 of 17 Old 03-24-2009, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by riomidwife View Post
I think coconut is very high in salicylates, which some people are sensitive too. http://salicylatesensitivity.com/info2
yeah I was considering that myself... they have always had coconut in their diet, but as of recent they have been having it every day for their yogurt. it's just very unusual to break out in the SAME place and the SAME time from a food allergy.

User Tag List