Advertisement

#2 of 57 Old 03-23-2009, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
copying posts from the chat thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
My lunulas are absent on all but my thumbnails. The article said to suspect anemia or malnutrition. I've only had temporary low iron after DS and DD2, but with all that I went through with my last pregnancy, I'll just bet I've been malnourished.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Lunulas - Mine are missing, too, though now I have them on my thumbs. Dh's were huge, though now they're looking more normal. When I read up on it before, the explanation I liked the best was that it had to do with how much oxygen can get to your fingertips. So many factors would affect it, including anemia, blood pressure, other nutrition, etc. I liked that explanation because I don't think my circulation's great, my fingers and toes are always cold, and dh is a heater.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
From what I recall of the fingernail thread, the evidence of health changes over the course of weeks and months, not years of history, are "indicated" on the fingernails. The fingernails are only indicative of the "current" most recent status, unless there is ongoing deficiency, I believe. But, if you see nail improvement over a short period of time, say months, I'd expect that does indicate improved health. However, if you have generational deficiencies you may not see improved nail bed indicators.

Interestingly, I noticed my mom's fingernail beds looked very different last week, even before the thread about fingernails was posted. Clubbed, more yellow and darker. I know smokers have nailbeds like that, over time. But, this was a noticeable change from whenever I happened to notice her fingernails last, which was probably around Christmas. I just "notice" that type of thing from observing patients for years. It was interesting to see the fingernail thread a few days later.

All that to say, I believe current disease (past several months) is indicated by the nail beds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
It generally does show current health, yes, although chronic illnesses can show up for quite some time on your non-dominant hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kl5 View Post
Hi folks, lurker piping up with a question about the above... Could this mean that if the nails on my right (dominant) hand are in better shape than my left, my health is improving? Nails on both hands, but worse on my left, have pretty serious ridges (going the length of the nail) and a deep crease going across my left thumb. My lunulas are missing completely from my pinkie and ring finger on my left hand and only missing from my pinkie on my right. Nails on both hands have a number of white flecks. I have been supping to overcome pretty serious iron and vitamin D deficiencies, so it would be heartening to see some sign of improvement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
I'm not certain that I would class that as your health improving as much as your health *changing*. You should not have (visible) lunulas. If they are visible, it indicates a health problem- usually a deficiency of some sort. It's been a long time since I studied it so I can't tell you any longer which finger correlates with which vitamin or mineral.
The decrease in ridges from one hand to the other is good. That means that the deficiencies aren't as severe as they *were*. The "crease" on your thumb was likely the result of an acute illness. You may consider zinc supplementation, since I do seem to recall that white flecks are a sign of zinc deficiency.
This is all stuff I learned when studying palmistry, btw... You'd be shocked what you can tell about the state of a person's health just from their hands.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#3 of 57 Old 03-23-2009, 06:00 PM

Just subbing.
I'd never seen that link before and it's been a good 10 years since I practiced palmistry at all, so I'm rather impressed with my memory.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#4 of 57 Old 03-23-2009, 07:06 PM

:

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#5 of 57 Old 03-23-2009, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.handresearch.com/finger-n...utor-start.htm
"ABSENT LUNULA are natural on the little finger. For most people have 8 Lunula, though some of them might be hidden under the cutticles.
Fewer than 8 lunula can signal various vulnerabilities such as: poor circulation, heart disease, protein deficiency, Vitamin A deficiency, numbness, or not enough oxygenation. "

#6 of 57 Old 03-23-2009, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
oh wait. I'm supposed to HAVE lunula? I thought it was a good thing that I didn't have them, from the chat thread info. I don't have any at all.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#7 of 57 Old 03-23-2009, 07:45 PM

I wonder if 8 is _really_ healthy/normal, or if we're all partly malnourished?

Vitamin A deficiency, huh? I've got that one. Need to take the cod liver oil. Kathy, I've only got 2, I don't think I've ever had more.

So I wonder if, since I've just recently started some CLO, how long it will take to see the beginnings of a lunula on my index finger? Wish I could set a timer attached to this thread to ding in a couple months and I could report back.
#8 of 57 Old 03-23-2009, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
So I wonder if, since I've just recently started some CLO, how long it will take to see the beginnings of a lunula on my index finger? Wish I could set a timer attached to this thread to ding in a couple months and I could report back.
I can't remember when I was first looking this up, I want to say it was just a few months ago. At the time, I had no lunulae at all. As my adrenals got better (I think my iron was already fine, I wasn't doing significant vit A, definitely wasn't protein deficiency), they appeared on my thumbs. Now they're fading away again, but I think I've been slacking on my salt and staying hydrated. I'm going to try and bring my bp back up, and see if that changes anything.

#9 of 57 Old 03-23-2009, 08:14 PM

I was looking at mine and realized I didn't have pinky lanuna so I immediately drank some blackstrap molasses (for the iron) Blech!

You mean I didn't have to do that?
#10 of 57 Old 03-23-2009, 09:12 PM

DH has always commented about that my nails weren't as big as they should be and he said it was because his mother used to push back their cuticles before church every Sunday when they were growing up. Maybe my lunulas are just hidden...

I've been taking fish oil for a year now....
Wouldn't low blood pressure sort of say that you had poor circulation?
Was it Calm who had talked about the oxygen test? I know I failed miserably when she had me do it. Of course she said what to do to get it better and I didn't do anything. Maybe I should sart taking the Oxygen Elements again.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#11 of 57 Old 03-23-2009, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

What's the oxygen test?

eta: that's interesting about your nails not being 'big enough.' Dh's and dd's are shorter than mine (more square), but dh's brother's are really, really long. I attributed it to dh biting his nails and bil having an aversion to cutting them, but then dd came along...

#12 of 57 Old 03-23-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
What's the oxygen test?
:

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#13 of 57 Old 03-23-2009, 09:48 PM

this is interesting to me---I am confused though---my DH has mostly all his white crescents on the botton of his nail beds (these are the lunas right?!) my two thumbs have it and my left pointer has a small one---no other fingers have it. it's really interesting to me that I :think" someone said that it could mean poor circulation since my hands go numb at night and I have problems (carpel tunnels, etc)---also intersting is that I KNOW I used to have lunas on most of my fingers (back when I was eating the SAD diet) I'm more deficient now?! how do you "fix" the oxygen!!? I DO have low blood pressure--I've always had low blood pressure- I thought it was a good thing--you can get too low?
#14 of 57 Old 03-23-2009, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBMarie9 View Post
I DO have low blood pressure--I've always had low blood pressure- I thought it was a good thing--you can get too low?
Adrenal fatigue thread

#15 of 57 Old 03-23-2009, 10:20 PM

My nails aren't really thin, but they do split a lot. I can't see that listed on the link.. any clues?
#16 of 57 Old 03-23-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieBonita View Post
My nails aren't really thin, but they do split a lot. I can't see that listed on the link.. any clues?
Mine split, too. They're kind of thin (though, I do have KP, so what's up there?). I also have lunulas on all of my fingers (I need to check the kids), but the ones on my thumbs are largest, with all of them getting smaller as they go toward my pinky fingers.
#17 of 57 Old 03-23-2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
What's the oxygen test?

eta: that's interesting about your nails not being 'big enough.' Dh's and dd's are shorter than mine (more square), but dh's brother's are really, really long. I attributed it to dh biting his nails and bil having an aversion to cutting them, but then dd came along...
I don't mean that they're not long. It's just that they don't go very far down on my fingers. Do you know what I mean? They don't get long either. They break. But DH means it as I have small nails (he also says I have stubby fingers... he wrote a song about it when we were newlyweds... "Put Your Stubby Hand in Mine". That was the same week he wrote "Fishsticks Five Nights a Week"). I digress.

The oxygen test was something about holding your breath for a certain amount of time. It should be somewhere on the CSS thread. Of course, now that Calm is back, we can just ask her.

#18 of 57 Old 03-23-2009, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
I don't mean that they're not long. It's just that they don't go very far down on my fingers. Do you know what I mean? They don't get long either. They break. But DH means it as I have small nails (he also says I have stubby fingers... he wrote a song about it when we were newlyweds... "Put Your Stubby Hand in Mine". That was the same week he wrote "Fishsticks Five Nights a Week"). I digress.

The oxygen test was something about holding your breath for a certain amount of time. It should be somewhere on the CSS thread. Of course, now that Calm is back, we can just ask her.
I actually looked at her site and found it

That's what I meant too, about the nails. It's really hard to talk about, huh? I mean the pink part (as opposed to the white part that you cut) is 'normal' for me, long for BIL and really short for dh and dd.

#19 of 57 Old 03-23-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:

That's what I meant too, about the nails. It's really hard to talk about, huh? I mean the pink part (as opposed to the white part that you cut) is 'normal' for me, long for BIL and really short for dh and dd.

If you look at the actual test near the bottom, I was around a 5...
yup, the pink part is what I was talking about too.

#20 of 57 Old 03-24-2009, 12:14 AM

I didn't see that before, the breathing thing. I'm between "noticeable health problems" and "feeling lousy." And I feel so much better than I used to. :
#21 of 57 Old 03-24-2009, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

I'm at about 25 seconds and have small lunulas, just on my thumbs. Though I could convince myself that there's something on my right (dominant) index finger...

#22 of 57 Old 03-24-2009, 12:30 AM

Somehow this doesn't seem like a fair test for a pregnant woman.

#23 of 57 Old 03-24-2009, 12:32 AM

I haven't had lunulas since I was about three years old, except faintly on my thumbs. I'm very curious to see if this will improve when I change my diet.

Quote:
Just figured I'd say that this doesn't seem to match up for me. I did the test and I got the urge to breathe right away... but my doctor tested my CO2 level recently and it's actually on the high side. Is this test valid only for people who don't have other breathing-related health problems? I have some heart and lung issues.

Gallifreyan nerdfighter :, doting partner to the sasquatch , mama to the boss : (10/05) and the new little one (4/14/09). :: and hoping to :
#24 of 57 Old 03-24-2009, 12:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
this is so interesting! i have all of my lunulas however, the other day i noticed that my 10 month old ds only has his thumbs and so i asked my stepmom about it who is a nail technician and she said that she has noticed in the past 10 years that more and more people dont have lunulas!

maybe our health as a society is degenerating?! like i had to figure that our from lunula observations?!

but i want to make my ds have lunulas now-what can i do???
#25 of 57 Old 03-24-2009, 01:44 AM

My guess is that, in general, vitamin A will be an important part of the answer for a lot of people. Various health problems can retard conversion of beta-carotene to A, and some of the high-A foods aren't that popular (no, I don't eat liver, bad me....) Does anything else from the possible list of problems jump out at you?
#26 of 57 Old 03-24-2009, 10:48 PM

So I just checked my kids. My daughter, 5, has 1 lunula, on her right thumb (she's right-handed). My son has none. Vitamin A seems the best fit for them (based on my health issues and symptoms of my son's), but darn, I've been supplementing for quite a while now, and apparently I'm not making a lot of progress). Wow (and not in a good way).

eta: working on gut health for my daughter, but I thought things were a bit off, not really bad. I'm going to re-evaluate my efforts there.
#27 of 57 Old 03-25-2009, 12:07 AM

what if you have a nail abnormality (not caused by injury to the nail or finger) that is only present on one nail? I've had nail pits and dents in my right hand ring fingernail for a quite awhile now.

I also have a valley that runs horizontally across the center of my right thumb nail. The nail grows out but the dent/valley/dip thingy stays in the same place. Didn't see anything about that on the links.

I only have 2 lunula. they're on my thumbs. Dh has all 10. hmmm....

~TRACY, wife to loving dh, mommy to dd (10/05), ds(12/08), 3 kitties, & 2 pups.
#28 of 57 Old 03-25-2009, 12:26 AM

I've heard that certain fingers correspond to certain organs, just like teeth do. I'm guessing TCM has all that mapped out, but I don't know the particulars.
#29 of 57 Old 03-25-2009, 11:07 AM

When DH was getting ready for work last night, I checked his. He's got all 10! Even his pinky ones are pretty big. And he's always had them. He's got allergy-induced asthma (on meds) and his cholesterol is a little high but he doesn't have the gut problems the rest of us do. Hmmm...

#30 of 57 Old 03-25-2009, 01:17 PM

Well, I have all mine, so I'm not sure that's saying much.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.

User Tag List