Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (
-   Women's Health (
-   -   Ugh! Help, quick. Broken thermometer. (

OceansEve 03-26-2009 04:05 PM

The packaging says it doesn't contain mercury, but it smells petrolium based. I'm going to try to do some looking online to see if I can find exactly what, but WWYD? I'm 32 weeks pregnant, the red liquid got on my hands, my clothes, and I definately inhaled whatever was released cause the smell was bad. It is a cheape from wmart that I was using in my chicken brooder. Help?

sbgrace 03-26-2009 04:12 PM

Red isn't mercury. It's not's usually alcohol with some dye to make it red. You coudl call the manufacturer and they'll tell you exactly what it is. Mercury also isn't a beads. I would wash my hands of course. Air things out if the smell is bothering you. But it's ok.

sbgrace 03-26-2009 04:17 PM

I just wanted to add...I panicked when I broke a red one when my boys were little. I was told red was ok, silver not. But I called the manufacturer anyway just to reassure myself. You have a package that assures you it isn't mercury. You can throw red thermometers in your trash without any precautions (not so with silver ones containing mercury). It's really not toxic. But I do understand the feeling!

OceansEve 03-26-2009 04:23 PM

Yeah, I'm glad I still had the packaging so I could read DOES NOT CONTAIN MERCURY, but the smell was bad, so I was just wondering if there was something else bad that could be in it. I've got a msg in to their customer service. We'll see if they call back.

sbombs 10-10-2013 07:16 AM

Hello - I know this is 6 years later, but I found your post because I am in the same exact position. 25 wks pregnant, broke a thermometer with red liquid, whole house stunk of strong odor. I was hoping you could tell me what the chemical ended up being and maybe assure me that your baby was born with no issues!