12 month old dx anemia - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-28-2009, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So my daughter has been dx with borderline anemia. We were given fer-in-sol, which I am not happy about giving to her.Especially a full dose. So I've been giving her 1 ml/ day which seems ok on her stomach. Any more, and her poops are black and reeking.

The problem also is that she's not much of an eater yet. She will eat dry foods(cheerios, bread...) and will take a bite of anything, but not more than a taste. So I can't really get iron into her through diet. I did buy some infant cereal to make biscuits, but that's all I can think of. Any ideas? Oh, she did eat some scrambled eggs yesterday, but I've been hearing conflicting opinions about eggs and iron absorption, so I'm not sure I should give her eggs.

Another thing I would like to try is dandelion tincture. I bought some today- the only stuff I could find without grain alcohol also has milk thistle in it. Does anybody know about dosage for a 21 pound infant??

So, had anyone btdt with trying to raise iron levels, especially in an infant who doesn't want to eat?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-28-2009, 05:40 PM

First of all,

Our twins were significantly anemic at 12 months- much to our surprise after a blood draw!! They were hardly eating anything at the time, just breast milk. We too did the fer-in-sol. We really only had to do it for a very short time- maybe three weeks? Their iron shot right up and they were not anemic on the next blood draw. We really tried to up the food intake. It's amazing how much iron is in stuff- if she'll eat cereal, most cereals are fortified with iron. Our goal was to encourage more solids, and around that time they started to eat like crazy.

I had really good luck with juicing. It's amazing how much stuff you can get into a yummy juice without them knowing! Good luck!
#3 of 4 Old 03-28-2009, 05:55 PM

Eggs (yolk and white) do block absorption. I've posted links prior which I can try to find if you need confirmation of that but in actual studies eggs are bad for iron absorption.

Ferrochel (ferrous bis-glycinate) is absorbed much better than the type of iron you are using. The stools are from unabsorbed iron. You won't have that with ferrochel. And you can use less because of the absorption which might make you feel better about using it.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#4 of 4 Old 03-29-2009, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

I actually asked the ped about ferrous bis-glycinate(i took easyiron when i was preg), and he said that you couldn't get it in liquid form, therefore he prescribed the fer-in-sol. So, i just checked online now, and found that you can get it in liquid form!! hmmm, maybe not retail in canada though?

I made her some cookies last night w/baby cereal and blckstrap molasses. no go- she'll take a couple nibbles, but that's it.

I wish she'd take more than a couple sips of juice or smoothie. Yes, you can hide a lot in a smoothie- i had one every morning for 6 weeks pp with a bit of placenta blended in:

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page