SUNBLOCK for kids - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 03-31-2009, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just wondering if anyone has any good suggestions for the best type of sunblock to use on kids. Mine are 4 and 1. They will be 5 and 2 by the time summer arrives and I really have had no luck with the cheaper brands of sunblock. I am always afraid of the chemicals and additives put in them and now I have to worry about the formaldehyde issue.

I don't want to have to pay a fortune for it if possible but am willing to if the product is fantastic.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
--Anjie
#2 of 29 Old 04-01-2009, 12:15 PM

Check at the skin deep site.
#3 of 29 Old 04-01-2009, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

thanks I will do that
#4 of 29 Old 04-01-2009, 04:53 PM

We don't use sunscreen any longer. I believe it is toxic save a few brands but even then it's questionable IMHO. We just minimize our sun exposure.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#5 of 29 Old 04-01-2009, 04:53 PM

we use California Baby's no fragrance sunscreen.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#6 of 29 Old 04-01-2009, 05:15 PM

MDC told me about california baby, check them out they have a good product line and their ingredients/product info is online as well.
#7 of 29 Old 04-01-2009, 05:16 PM

California Baby
#8 of 29 Old 04-01-2009, 06:19 PM

We use Badger SPF 30. I researched it a lot last year. I would rather not have to use it, but that's really not an option where we live. I was going to try California Baby, but can't remember why I didn't. I think the person I talked to at Whole Foods talked me into the Badger brand.

It's frustrating that we have to worry about all the chemicals- what's worse? That or skin cancer?!
#9 of 29 Old 04-01-2009, 06:40 PM

We used to use Jason for kids (the partially organic ingredients one) and it worked ok - no burns, but I recently heard that Badger is supposed to be the best. That is what we will be trying this year.

I'd rather not use it either, but when sun exposure is unavoidable we do.

hth

All natural sahm to dd1(12yo) and dd2(6yo). Married 16 years.

Time for the Master Tonic! thumb.gif

#10 of 29 Old 04-02-2009, 12:24 PM

I am in the same boat. I am actually looking for a total block. Is zinc oxide bad these days? My daughter is very fair skinned and in daycare/preschool and they spend alot of time out of doors. Despite the cream I am using, she is still getting burned. I am having them work on getting her to leave a hat on right now.
#11 of 29 Old 04-02-2009, 12:53 PM

If you do a little research about sunscreen and skin cancer the information is ALARMING. Is it a coincidence that the countries with the highest rate of sunscreen use have the highest rates of skin cancer? Be sure to learn about how sunscreen actually works. Also if you look into the FDA's safety practices as in skin care product ingredients being SAFE it's simply apalling.

I urge you all to look into buying/making your own natural sunscreens. Or do what we do and avoid the sun during high exposure times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaof5boys View Post
We use Badger SPF 30. I researched it a lot last year. I would rather not have to use it, but that's really not an option where we live. I was going to try California Baby, but can't remember why I didn't. I think the person I talked to at Whole Foods talked me into the Badger brand.

It's frustrating that we have to worry about all the chemicals- what's worse? That or skin cancer?!

#12 of 29 Old 04-02-2009, 02:02 PM

Jason

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#13 of 29 Old 04-02-2009, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
If you do a little research about sunscreen and skin cancer the information is ALARMING. Is it a coincidence that the countries with the highest rate of sunscreen use have the highest rates of skin cancer? Be sure to learn about how sunscreen actually works. Also if you look into the FDA's safety practices as in skin care product ingredients being SAFE it's simply apalling.

I urge you all to look into buying/making your own natural sunscreens. Or do what we do and avoid the sun during high exposure times.
The problem for some us us - especially those of us who live in desert climates, avoiding the sun all together during high exposure times is next to impossible.

We avoid sun screen as much as possible but, it's jut not always possible to avoid the sun so when we do have to be in the sun for an extended period of time, we'll be using badger this year.
#14 of 29 Old 04-02-2009, 04:14 PM

oh I understand the desert sun! I just moved from southern AZ and lived there for 15 years! I also have VERY fair skinned children. never a sunburn yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcal View Post
The problem for some us us - especially those of us who live in desert climates, avoiding the sun all together during high exposure times is next to impossible.

We avoid sun screen as much as possible but, it's jut not always possible to avoid the sun so when we do have to be in the sun for an extended period of time, we'll be using badger this year.

#15 of 29 Old 04-02-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:

I agree that there needs to be more regulation around sunscreen. But do you have any scientific proof of a connection between sunscreen and skin cancer?

Also, when you talk about making your own, what's in it? Has those ingredients been tested for safety?
#16 of 29 Old 04-02-2009, 07:59 PM

I looked on SkinDeep and California Baby has the best score of 0 and Jason and Badger Balm both have scores of 1. I have a 1 year old daughter who will probably need sun block this summer (although I plan on using it as little as possible). I plan to use California Baby but am intrigued with the idea of making my own.

I have also heard that there is more skin cancer in places that use more sun block. Could that be because people that use more sun block are more likely to be fair skinned and are therefore more sensitive during the times they do not use sun block? I guess I don't know much about the research. It seems like a damned if you do and damned if you don't sort of situation.
#17 of 29 Old 04-02-2009, 08:17 PM

Seems opinions abound on the web on the sunscreen/cancer connection.

http://www.ynhh.org/healthlink/cancer/cancer_8_02.html

or just google sunscreen cancer for a taste of them!
#18 of 29 Old 04-02-2009, 08:34 PM

If you understand how (spf) sunscreen actually works you will soon realize it is not a good thing for the body. Especially when there is no way for the body to filter out the toxins..instead it is stored in your body fat.

there are natural sunscreen options! Just google "herbal sunscreen recipe" or "natural sunscreen recipe" for many ideas. many of the ingredients are natural oils. these are just barrier methods though. zinc oxide is likely the safest and best but I don't think it's completely natural? personally I find clothing to be the best protection and I lived for many years in the Arizona sun. It may not be convenient to stay out of the sun during peak hours but there are definitely ways to minimize exposure and protect your kids. I think many people think they will be "safe" in the sun if they slather on the sunscreen. That is just not so! Also do a search for "toxic sunscreen"..

Studies are skewed and few and far between, because the FDA does not require them. but I do know there are at least a few (I will dig those up). There are plenty of dermatologists speaking out on this issue as well. Also, many of the sunscreen makers ingredients are simply grandfathered in and the FDA does not do any safety testing whatsoever on ANY of the grandfathered ingredients.

#19 of 29 Old 04-03-2009, 12:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Could it be that skin cancer rates are highest in areas that use the most sunscreen because people who use the most sunscreen live in intense sun areas?

To me it makes sense that although sunscreen use here in the desert is high, we still live in the desert with intense sun and we get a lot more sun than say, Seattle or other places where the sun is much less intense and therefore, sunscreen is required much less.
#20 of 29 Old 04-03-2009, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Could it be that skin cancer rates are highest in areas that use the most sunscreen because people who use the most sunscreen live in intense sun areas?

To me it makes sense that although sunscreen use here in the desert is high, we still live in the desert with intense sun and we get a lot more sun than say, Seattle or other places where the sun is much less intense and therefore, sunscreen is required much less.
i think that's very plausible, myself.

as for limiting exposure, we live in the deep south, at the beach, and there is no way to avoid peak sun times. we can't stay indoors that much-the sun is hot enough to burn from 9am-6pm here in the summer. we would all lose our minds! i have SUPER fair children, but they do tan after some gradual exposure. i take them out without ss in the spring and early summer, so they can build up a bit of base tan.

i know there's a school of thought (and some research) that says the sun and any tan at all is bad, but i don't buy into that. im not scared of the sun. not advocating for the "something about mary" lady look, of course, lol..but a little tan is not a bad thing imo.

we have always used one of the baby ones like baby faces spf 60+, but i would like to find a more natural alternative that works well.i dont like the chemical components of many sunscreens but i dont like peeling, blistering sunburns even more.

Erin, 33, salty southern mama, sitting by the sea with my DH35, DD10, DS4, &DD2!
#21 of 29 Old 04-03-2009, 12:51 PM

Can someone please post a natural, make-it-yourself recipe for an effective sunscreen that is safe for children.

Pleeeeeease... :

tia!

#22 of 29 Old 04-03-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:

sunscreen also acts as a reflector and basically creates new toxins within the bloodstream that the body can't filter out.

I think we each have to weigh the options and do what we feel is best for our families.

#23 of 29 Old 04-03-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allnaturalmom View Post
Can someone please post a natural, make-it-yourself recipe for an effective sunscreen that is safe for children.

Pleeeeeease... :

tia!
here's a few. keep in mind herbal/natural sunscreen is NOT the same as SPF sunscreen. It is a barrier method and needs to reapplied OFTEN.

http://www.naturalhealingrecipes.net.../sunblock.html

http://www.a1-natural-beauty.com/Sunscreen_Lotion.html

http://www.its-not-about-your-stuff....l-sunscre.html

#24 of 29 Old 04-03-2009, 06:43 PM

Selenium helps protect against sunburn.
I make sure we eat a few Brazil nuts each day - it sounds wacky - but man, does it help!
fp
#25 of 29 Old 04-03-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Erin* View Post

i know there's a school of thought (and some research) that says the sun and any tan at all is bad, but i don't buy into that. im not scared of the sun. not advocating for the "something about mary" lady look, of course, lol..but a little tan is not a bad thing imo.

we have always used one of the baby ones like baby faces spf 60+, but i would like to find a more natural alternative that works well.i dont like the chemical components of many sunscreens but i dont like peeling, blistering sunburns even more.
Thanks for the laugh Erin about the Something about Mary look!!!

I agree about the whole burn, blistering thing. My 9 year old refused to put sunscreen on one day last summer and got blisters! He is so fair and the back of his neck is always exposed to intense sun. When we are out for awhile, a shirt and hat are great, but how do I cover the back of his neck?? I agree it's great to avoid sun exposure, but sometimes you have to do it!

Also, I'm curious about the whole cancer/sunscreen debate. I never wore sunscreen growing up- we lived on a lake and I was red most of the summer. I ended up with skin cancer when I was 29 years old. Did most of you wear sunscreen when you were younger? Anyone else with skin cancer?
#26 of 29 Old 04-04-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
here's a few. keep in mind herbal/natural sunscreen is NOT the same as SPF sunscreen. It is a barrier method and needs to reapplied OFTEN.

http://www.naturalhealingrecipes.net.../sunblock.html

http://www.a1-natural-beauty.com/Sunscreen_Lotion.html

http://www.its-not-about-your-stuff....l-sunscre.html
Thank you.... I'm looking forward to trying these!
:

Which one works the best for you?

#27 of 29 Old 04-04-2009, 09:11 PM
A&A

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

:

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#28 of 29 Old 04-04-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allnaturalmom View Post
Thank you.... I'm looking forward to trying these!
:

Which one works the best for you?
We don't use sunscreen. Just minimize exposure!

I have used homemade sunscreens and find them greasy and not worth having to reapply so much. I just prefer to stay out of the sun.

If we are out for any length of time (which is rare during peak hours as we plan activities mainly for early morning or late in the afternoon if we will be outside. If we are in the sun though for say longer than 20-30 min we depend on sunglasses, umbrellas, long sleeved clothing, long skirts and shade for protection. It seems to work for us!

#29 of 29 Old 04-05-2009, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Also, you can buy clothing with SPF/UPF fabric...jackets, long sleeved shirts...I'd rather they wear something like that than spreading chemical goop on them for hours a day all summer.

Just as an example:
http://www.coolibar.com/childsunclothing.html

There's lots of other companies out there too...

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page