Herbal Healing Mamas stop in here! - Page 12 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#331 of 358 Old 09-02-2010, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They talked about it a lot last year on my herb group on google. Some people steep cloves in the skin for 2 weeks, some for 2 days. I am just waiting for it to start fermenting and extracting juice from the garlic. So far it's been going about 5 days and I am starting to see bubbles. I will probably let it go 2 weeks. Then the garlic can be used after you strain it from the honey and you have potent healing honey :-)

Momma of an amazing little man on 3/16/10, pregnant with #2 due in June...married to the man of my dreams. Living in a little town in the rural world of New England and loving my life. <3

#332 of 358 Old 09-03-2010, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
just got nettle leaf from mountain rose herbs! wondering what the best way to keep them fresh is? fridge? freezer? not necessary? i got a pound and didnt realize how much it would be! guess its time to make an infusion
#333 of 358 Old 09-03-2010, 12:58 PM

I have a big batch of chai tea brewing on the stove, I am doing decaf as I am on a mission to quit my coffee habit.

What would you add to the mix of spices to make it really healthy? I am thinking about dandilion root.

Oh my house smells so good, I love chai!

Molly, Mama, living in the burbs with a beehive and chicken coop,  herb student, gardener, crunchy and preggers with #3, due Nov 4th.flower.gif
The fruit of the spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, gentleness and self control.:
#334 of 358 Old 09-10-2010, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
This is an online course? And does it have a set start date, or you can start/proceed at your own pace? Those prices seem approachable to do a bit at a time!

Pat
Yes, it has two options. Distance Learning and eLearning.
Nope, no start or end date. It is at your own pace.
I know they have scholarships too.
#335 of 358 Old 09-10-2010, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Anyone taken any of these Susun Weed courses?

Green Witch Course
Green Allies Course
Spirit & Practice of the Wise Woman Tradition Course
Getting Started on Your Course

ABC of Herbalism--study 52 herbs!!

I'm debating between doing an herbalism course study, or the SE conference.

I really like the energy about natural health, rather than interventive healing.

Pat
Her classes are cool. I have taken two of them.
#336 of 358 Old 09-12-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycmom18 View Post
just got nettle leaf from mountain rose herbs! wondering what the best way to keep them fresh is? fridge? freezer? not necessary? i got a pound and didnt realize how much it would be! guess its time to make an infusion

In a glass jar away from extreme heat and light.

treehugger.gif Birth and PP doula, Mama to DD (7/04) DS (3/08)    belly.gifwith #3 EDD 11/29/13, and 30+ chicken3.gif , 2 ducks

#337 of 358 Old 10-01-2010, 07:26 AM

I'm heading to the SE Women's Herbal Conference this morning!!

I'm very excited to attend Rosemary Gladstar's four hour class about teas, tinctures, salves, poultices, packs, steams, baths, culinary and wild foods, herbs and healing plants!!

And Kathleen Maier's three hour class about The Endocrine System - the “regulatory” system and how it is responsible for mood, metabolism, thyroid, pancreatic, adrenal and sexual function, hormones, glands, chakras and energy!

And Teresa Boardwine - three hours of kitchen apothecary, backyard plants, infusions, decoctions, syrups, daily herbs, tinctures, elixers, cordials, alcohol extractions, phytochemicals, oxymels, vinegars and glycerites. (I have never even heard of some of these!)

Plus herb walks and herbal healing classes on Sunday. I am so excited. :

http://www.sewisewomen.com/womens_he...intensives.php

Pat

I have a blog.
#338 of 358 Old 10-05-2010, 01:12 PM

The SE Women's Herbal Conference was *Beyond-Words-Incredible*.

I'm going to write up my class notes. It was so amazing. And share the video of the Closing Circle. It was very awesome.

You all MUST come next year. They have work exchange and scholarships available, children are welcome. The food was absolutely amazingly delicious, local pastured eggs, organic corn chips, organic grits, organic milk, organic greens, homemade herbal vinegars, lacto-fermented saurkraut...

I plan to do 8 hours of onsite volunteering which pays 1/2 the conference fee of $275 (I think). Plus there is easy camping, right in the middle of everything. There is an early-registration discount too. So, for about $200, you have the choice of 50+ different incredibly informative herbalist sessions.

AND, the welcoming of the women is beyond anything you have ever EVER imagined or dreamed of. Seriously inspirational. Not to mention the campfire and drumming circles each night. YOU ARE INVITED!!

You will feel loved and embraced by the nurturing and nourishing support of 700 women!

Set the intention for next conference in 2011: Sept 30-Oct. 2nd in Black Mountain, NC (near Asheville, in western NC).

I hear the NE Women's Herbal Conference is equally amazing!

Pat

I have a blog.
#339 of 358 Old 10-05-2010, 11:31 PM

Pat, glad you enjoyed yourself! I am totally jealous!

Molly, Mama, living in the burbs with a beehive and chicken coop,  herb student, gardener, crunchy and preggers with #3, due Nov 4th.flower.gif
The fruit of the spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, gentleness and self control.:
#340 of 358 Old 10-26-2010, 12:56 AM

Does anyone have herbal recommendations for the post-partum period? (not me) I'm mostly thinking infusions because that's what I'm familiar with (other ideas are always welcome!), and my friend's already using and enjoying nettles infusions, but I don't know if there's anything particular that helps with support and rebuilding during the post-partum time period.

Thoughts? Thanks!
#341 of 358 Old 10-26-2010, 09:37 AM

I think my two personal favorite postpartum were nettle and red raspberry leaf. I did however make myself a blend of Nettle, RRL, Oatstraw, Hops, lemon ballm, chamomile and alfalfa ( there might be more in it. Fenugreek would be wonderful for breast milk and nourishing. That being said, I really like my simples. I still do nettle and RRL and my son is 7 months old.

Peace

Momma of an amazing little man on 3/16/10, pregnant with #2 due in June...married to the man of my dreams. Living in a little town in the rural world of New England and loving my life. <3

#342 of 358 Old 10-26-2010, 10:44 AM

RRL, that should've popped to mind, shouldn't it? But it didn't, still new to this. Thanks, I added your note to my list of ideas.
#343 of 358 Old 10-26-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post
Does anyone have herbal recommendations for the post-partum period? (not me) I'm mostly thinking infusions because that's what I'm familiar with (other ideas are always welcome!), and my friend's already using and enjoying nettles infusions, but I don't know if there's anything particular that helps with support and rebuilding during the post-partum time period.

Thoughts? Thanks!
I usually recommend nettles, RRL, oatstraw and alfalfa.
#344 of 358 Old 10-26-2010, 10:53 AM

Thank you, adding that to the list--I love overlapping recommendations!
#345 of 358 Old 10-29-2010, 04:51 PM

Hi all!

Sorry to crash the thread, but I'm hoping you can help me out with some recommendations. You all seem really knowledgeable!

I'm interested in getting a basic herbal handbook for home. Not just about herbs for use in pregnancy/childbirth, but more generally, for the family.

I've searched the thread here but didn't see any specific recommendations. I tried searching amazon but there are so many titles- I want to make sure I buy a good one.

Thanks for any feedback!

"The Mothers are the brave ones." - Call the Midwife

#346 of 358 Old 10-29-2010, 05:41 PM

Need to sub

Decluttering 500/2010
#347 of 358 Old 10-29-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partaria View Post
Hi all!

Sorry to crash the thread, but I'm hoping you can help me out with some recommendations. You all seem really knowledgeable!

I'm interested in getting a basic herbal handbook for home. Not just about herbs for use in pregnancy/childbirth, but more generally, for the family.

I've searched the thread here but didn't see any specific recommendations. I tried searching amazon but there are so many titles- I want to make sure I buy a good one.

Thanks for any feedback!
I am sure you'll get a variety of resources recommended to you.

My personal favorites are John Gallagher's learningherbs.com and herbmentor.com. My favorite book is Aviva Jill Romm's Naturally Healthy Baby and Kids (covers all common childhood and other illnesses, common herbs, recipes for preparations, and a list of items to have in a home herbal medicine chest). Rosemary Gladstar's website and books are wonderful as well. Oh, can't forget Susun Weed. Good resource there.

Mama to DS (10), DS (8), DS (5), DD (3), & DD (6 months).
Lucky Wife to My Techy DH for 11 years.
We stillheart.gif Homebirth, Full-term Breastfeeding,
Connection Parenting, Life Learning, our LDS faith.
mdcblog5.gif

#348 of 358 Old 11-08-2010, 02:09 PM

Hi there, long time not chatter...

My question is probobly opening a can of worms, but I need to be clear on this.

I was a student of Clayton College of Natural health, which completely and unexpectantly shut it's doors in July of this year. I was totally screwed and left feeling really discouraged.
I was finishing up my cousework through the school and was planning on attending The North American School of Western Herbalism in about a year.

Right now I am also looking into Avia Jill Romm's "woman's herbal course", which is a distance self paced program.
I have apprenticed with several local herbalists and am a varocious reader and practicer of herbal medicine and nutrition.
The one thing I am confused on is what are the requirements and certification necessities one must have in order to consult and run a practice and/or herbal business? I run into this a lot, "Graduation does not confer the right to practice herbal medicine or any form of healing art."
So what does give you the right to practice and how does one "prove" themselves.
Please help, I know every state has it's own standards, but I have never figured out how to find those standards to follow. I am a bit of a mess...

#349 of 358 Old 11-09-2010, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Hi all!

Thanks for any feedback!
I would just like to second this request! I currently have this Rosemary Gladstar book in my cart on Amazon and I'm trying to decide if it will have what I'm looking for. I'm completely new to herbal medicine, aside from trying a few different kinds of healing teas from the store.

I just got the Mountain Rose Herbs catalogue in the mail today and looking through it has just started a whole new list of questions in my head! I'm so excited to try some of these wonderful looking herbs, but I don't know where to start!
#350 of 358 Old 11-10-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbmama3-7 View Post

Hi there, long time not chatter...

My question is probobly opening a can of worms, but I need to be clear on this.

I was a student of Clayton College of Natural health, which completely and unexpectantly shut it's doors in July of this year. I was totally screwed and left feeling really discouraged.
I was finishing up my cousework through the school and was planning on attending The North American School of Western Herbalism in about a year.

Ugh, I'm so sorry.  I know that there were many rumblings it was going to happen, but I don't think anyone expected it to be that quick.  I am sorry you ended up being stuck.

Right now I am also looking into Avia Jill Romm's "woman's herbal course", which is a distance self paced program.
I have apprenticed with several local herbalists and am a varocious reader and practicer of herbal medicine and nutrition.
The one thing I am confused on is what are the requirements and certification necessities one must have in order to consult and run a practice and/or herbal business? I run into this a lot, "Graduation does not confer the right to practice herbal medicine or any form of healing art."
Yes, because most programs don't end up with your taking a board exam or being certified by a nationally recognized body.  It's a tough one.  I know that if you take classes at an accredited institution things are easier (as they are with most things.)

So what does give you the right to practice and how does one "prove" themselves.
this will vary depending on the laws in your state, actually.  You can practice herbal medicine where I live if you have a medical degree-but that's about it.  You can be a registered herbalist and have a practice, but then you need to meet the credentials to become registered-which to be honest I have no idea what those are since it's not my area. 

Please help, I know every state has it's own standards, but I have never figured out how to find those standards to follow. I am a bit of a mess...

It's not easy.  I know that for many it's helpful to know the legal guidelines.  There is a book by Lawrence Wilson (iirc) that is helpful.  It is called Legal Guidelines for Unlicensed Practitioners.  Beyond that, have you asked practitioners in your area?  That's a place to start if you have apprenticed with them.  Pick their brains!  They should know the ins and outs for your area.  I would definitely find out what it takes to be registered as well.

Most people, as far as I know will just practice as an herbalist or a natural health consultant-or something like that  Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.  Letus know what you find out though and best of luck!  

#351 of 358 Old 11-30-2010, 09:46 AM

bumping - and wondering what kinds of herbal goodies everyone is making for the holidays?

I'm doing

crock pot ginger oil,

comfrey salve and

a nourishing tea blend of herbs I dried from the garden (nettle, clover, raps leaf)

There are some more good ideas here

Herbal Gifts for the Holidays

I may try lip balm for the first time this year - any tips?

#352 of 358 Old 11-30-2010, 12:11 PM

I'm interested in any lip balm tips, too.

Also, I want to make calendula oil from dried flowers. Do I have to heat it? Can anyone share their personal experience making it that way? I'd ultimately be using it in a salve.TIA!

rural mama to DD1 DD2
unschooling, non-vaxing, writing, gardening, co-sleeping, critter-loving family :
#353 of 358 Old 11-30-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skim View Post

I'm interested in any lip balm tips, too.

Also, I want to make calendula oil from dried flowers. Do I have to heat it? Can anyone share their personal experience making it that way? I'd ultimately be using it in a salve.TIA!

to make a calendula infused oil heat on low in double boiler or crockpot for few hours.   Then strain and use it how you want to. Thats how we make ours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmeg View Post

Quote:
Hi all!

Thanks for any feedback!
I would just like to second this request! I currently have this Rosemary Gladstar book in my cart on Amazon and I'm trying to decide if it will have what I'm looking for. I'm completely new to herbal medicine, aside from trying a few different kinds of healing teas from the store.

I just got the Mountain Rose Herbs catalogue in the mail today and looking through it has just started a whole new list of questions in my head! I'm so excited to try some of these wonderful looking herbs, but I don't know where to start!

I have that book its wonderful!! I reference it a lot. I am also taking her Science and Art of Herbalism home correspondence course and am almost done! YAY!    What kind of info do you want the book to have?

treehugger.gif Birth and PP doula, Mama to DD (7/04) DS (3/08)    belly.gifwith #3 EDD 11/29/13, and 30+ chicken3.gif , 2 ducks

#354 of 358 Old 11-30-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyMom View Post

bumping - and wondering what kinds of herbal goodies everyone is making for the holidays?

I'm doing

crock pot ginger oil,

comfrey salve and

a nourishing tea blend of herbs I dried from the garden (nettle, clover, raps leaf)

There are some more good ideas here

Herbal Gifts for the Holidays

I may try lip balm for the first time this year - any tips?

one small batch of lip balm makes a lot!! FYI.     We have made this and its always a hit.   I also am making vanilla extract this year. and herbal teas for my nieces who have recently found out they like tea!

#355 of 358 Old 11-30-2010, 02:03 PM

Thanks for the tip on lip balm! We made vanilla extract last year - big hit w/ all! And it smells soooo good!

#356 of 358 Old 03-21-2011, 10:56 AM

The SE Wise Women Herbal Conference info has been updated and a complete list of class schedules is now available. Sign up between now and May 20 to save $80 off the regular registration price.

Check out all of these herbal classes: http://www.sewisewomen.com/womens_herbal_conference/program.php

I AM GOING!!  Want to join us?

Pat

I have a blog.
#357 of 358 Old 04-06-2011, 11:59 AM

My new book is out, I just thought I would share with my herb sisters.

http://www.amazon.com/Herbal-Healing-Children-Demetria-Clark/dp/1570672148/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1302114275&sr=8-1

I am really excited and am glad to have finished birthing this project.

I would love to hear your opinions.

Heart of Herbs Herbal and Aromatherapy School and Birth Arts International, educational solutions that work for you! Check out my new book
#358 of 358 Old 05-20-2011, 11:05 AM

For all who would love to attend, but aren't sure if you can afford it, the Southeast Women's Herbal Conference has a 30% discount for Early Birds! Register by TODAY! - May 20th and pay only $205, that's $80 off the full price. Bundle Registration and Meals for $263.

Anyone else planning to go?!

Pat

I have a blog.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page