Herbal Healing Mamas stop in here! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 358 Old 11-19-2009, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
subbing..
I have recently begun a self study of herbs... reading through Matthew Wood's, The Book of Herbal Wisdom... perusing herbmentor.com... Bought various herbs from Mountain Rose Herbs to make some things from their herbal basics lessons: a healing salve, infused oils/vinegars, syrups.... I plan to start the comfrey oil tonight... and that will serve as the base for a healing salve.........

In any event, I'm eager... very interested in learning herb i.d. and harvesting wild plants and wildcrafting especially!
#182 of 358 Old 11-22-2009, 05:08 PM

Subbing I just finished a small class on herbs and I can't wait to get the supplies to try making some of my own stuff!
#183 of 358 Old 11-23-2009, 09:37 PM

Hey there everyone!

I just wanted to chime in, share some stuff and express my love of this forum. I just finished reading it while sipping my home made blend of pregnancy sleepy time tea (Nettle, Red Raspberry Leaf, Chamomile and Lemon Balm - sometimes I will throw a few goji berries in there).

I wanted to share a few sites that I have been exploring!

- The yahoo group AncientRoots1 *There is a free level one course offered here. I am quite impressed with it so far. It's loaded with info!
- herbwifery.org (this is a great forum!)
- learningherbs.com (this one is one I just started exploring, they have a free class too!
- The google group "Herbs and Wise Women" (I'm a big fan of this group as well!)
- Also a big fan of Daniel Vitalis' course "ElixirCraft" but that is a paid for telecourse on mp3 and it is LOADED with all sorts of information, herbs are just a part of it.
- Susan Weed's site and Wise Woman books

I also wanted to share that I just bottled my first two tinctures today! I bottled them in the new High Country amber bottles that they are releasing the 5 year anniversary brews in. I did a Red Raspberry tincture in Everclear and a Goji Berry tincture in Everclear. I am going to mix them with some honey and create cordials I think. If I don't do that I am going to use the raspberry one in teas because the heat of the water evaporates off the alcohol but leaves the medicine!

Blessings,
Wysteria

Momma of an amazing little man on 3/16/10, pregnant with #2 due in June...married to the man of my dreams. Living in a little town in the rural world of New England and loving my life. <3

#184 of 358 Old 11-24-2009, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
thanks green variety. those look great.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#185 of 358 Old 11-30-2009, 01:01 PM

I am listening to the podcasts from HerbalMentor.com. They are awesome, is anyone else listening to them?!

I'm hope you were able to check out some of that stuff ian'smommaya! Lots of info! I just finished Susun Weed's "Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Years" and absolutely LOVED it. I went to our local herb shop last night before going to hubby's hockey game and got her second book! The woman at the counter told me that's the book she uses for her apprenticeship program (or it was the one they used for her coworkers that attended the program).

Anyone else reading/read these? I feel like I need to underline and write notes in these books! I never have felt like that before!

Momma of an amazing little man on 3/16/10, pregnant with #2 due in June...married to the man of my dreams. Living in a little town in the rural world of New England and loving my life. <3

#186 of 358 Old 11-30-2009, 02:43 PM

I've read all her stuff, yes. I've also attended several workshops. I am a BIG note-taker! All of my books are written in, it's the only way to cross reference info!
#187 of 358 Old 12-04-2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenVariety View Post
I am listening to the podcasts from HerbalMentor.com. They are awesome, is anyone else listening to them?!

I'm hope you were able to check out some of that stuff ian'smommaya! Lots of info! I just finished Susun Weed's "Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Years" and absolutely LOVED it. I went to our local herb shop last night before going to hubby's hockey game and got her second book! The woman at the counter told me that's the book she uses for her apprenticeship program (or it was the one they used for her coworkers that attended the program).

Anyone else reading/read these? I feel like I need to underline and write notes in these books! I never have felt like that before!
oh i LOVE herbmentor! i just got the wildcrafting game pus a buncha free downloads. i am so in love with them. i learned a trick in nursing school for taking notes. i have big post-its that attach to each page. then i dont have to write in the book, a habit i object to on principle.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#188 of 358 Old 12-04-2009, 10:02 AM

That sticky note idea is a GREAT idea! I hate writing in books! I don't know why?! Even as an college I hated it. I would underline in pencil which really didn't help me at all in the long run. Trying to see the pencil later on was a pain, because if you did it too dark you couldn't erase it!

#189 of 358 Old 12-04-2009, 11:31 AM

What kinds of herbs would be good to increase fertility? (Anyone have a fertility tea recipe?)

Thanks.
#190 of 358 Old 12-05-2009, 10:11 AM

Susun Weed has a couple recommendations of fertility herbs. I would suggest getting her book if you can "Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Year." It's loaded with information and talks in detail on subjects like fertility and preventing miscarriage. I can give you the herbs if you would like but the protocol is important and she has TONS of information!

Blessings!

#191 of 358 Old 12-05-2009, 10:32 AM

That sticky note thing would SO not work for me! That is so interesting though. My books are all well loved and I absolutely adore that they are all cross referenced and contain updated info. It's weird, it's so much a part of me that it was actually suprising to read that someone may object to it!

For all of my higher education this was just how things were done. A doctor's MM is sacred because it's full of THEIR unique observations and characterizations of herbs and remedies....newer contraindications, other herbs that have similar indications and differences, what miasms they belong to or cross etc. I remember feeling so lucky at one point to have purchased a Repertory that came heavily notated from an old school physician. It was like receiving the holy grail for me!
#192 of 358 Old 12-05-2009, 11:55 AM

Thanks GreenVariety. I've been considering buying that book. I just got Rosemary Gladstar's Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health and I'm loving it. Much better than my others. I'm trying to build my library as well as my herb variety.

Anyone have experience making salves? In particular for the breasts...the skin on mine is so dry they peel all the time and sometimes itch. I've been using Mtn Rose's St. John's and comfrey salve and it works very well, but I'd like to make my own.

Thanks.
#193 of 358 Old 12-05-2009, 01:45 PM

i make salves, and i can be back in one minutes. kids need something.

#194 of 358 Old 12-05-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturally organic View Post
Thanks GreenVariety. I've been considering buying that book. I just got Rosemary Gladstar's Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health and I'm loving it. Much better than my others. I'm trying to build my library as well as my herb variety.

Anyone have experience making salves? In particular for the breasts...the skin on mine is so dry they peel all the time and sometimes itch. I've been using Mtn Rose's St. John's and comfrey salve and it works very well, but I'd like to make my own.

Thanks.
so making salves isn't very hard at all. mostly it can be time consuming, in the it can take six weeks more or less for the plant material to macerate in oil. basically you take the plant material, i.e. st. john's wort, comfrey petals and macerate (soak) them in good oil you like. let in sit in a dark place. some ppl disagree on how to do this part, some ppl say dark place, some ppl say mason jar with a paper towel on it, ppl say soak the plants in oil on the stove on the lowest heat available.... it all depends on what you were taught.

how about i just link to to directions? rosemary gladstars, jeannie rose, the late micheal moore etc. are all over the internet with directions. i'll find some for you

here are some good ones from a magazine. http://www.herbcompanion.com/healing...ve.aspx?page=2

#195 of 358 Old 12-06-2009, 03:31 PM

How I've been healing with herbs lately:

I've been taking this great motherwort tincture that my midwife made. It totally takes the edge off when I'm having a hard mom day. I'm thinking of trying to grow some of my own next year. I think it's supposed to be pretty easy to grow and tincture.

I also had this ridiculous sneezing fit yesterday, and my nose was totally red and sensitive by the end of the day. So I steeped some slippery elm in boiling water (like a tbsp herb and a few tbsp water) for a few minutes and made a compress with cheese cloth. It made two dressings. The second one, which was cooler, was actually more soothing. I think it really helped. I put some herbal salve on afterward, mostly olive oil based (can't remember the EOs). I think just plain coconut or olive oil would have been an adequate coating. My skin is still dry today, but not sensitive like it was.

Loving this thread!

I should probably be doing something else right now.
#196 of 358 Old 12-08-2009, 01:02 AM

Thanks ian's mom for the salve making site. Great info. Anyone tried the herb kit from herbmentor.com that makes echinacea tinctures, salves and nettle infusion? I am SO tempted, but...wondering if I'd be better off just getting the ingredients and going on my own.
#197 of 358 Old 12-08-2009, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturally organic View Post
Thanks ian's mom for the salve making site. Great info. Anyone tried the herb kit from herbmentor.com that makes echinacea tinctures, salves and nettle infusion? I am SO tempted, but...wondering if I'd be better off just getting the ingredients and going on my own.
i would join the site, they have deals where its a dollar for the first month once in awhile and think of getting the kit. you could probably read up on tincture making (really easy btw, i make them alot. current one is echinacea, licorice, marshmallow and honey) and do it yourself. really it isnt hard. it can be time consuming tho some herbs maserate for 6 weeks before they are ready.

#198 of 358 Old 12-15-2009, 11:20 AM

Getting into this myself recently. Joining and subbing.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#199 of 358 Old 12-16-2009, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry I have been so absent from this thread!

I have decided to enroll at the North American Institute for Medical Herbalism for 2010! ( www.naimh.com ) My partner is going to enroll in the courses too so that should be fun!

I love the herbmentor site too! The podcasts are AWESOME!

Good herbs for fertility are;

nettles
red clover
RRL
damiana (this one is an aphrodisiac too! )
vitex
oatstraw
alfalfa
saw palwmetto (for men)
false unicorn
maca

personally I like to make an infusion (tea) with equal parts of oatstraw, red clover RRL, alfalfa and oatstraw. (you can order your herbs in bulk and then mix up a big batch) This is an overall very nourishing tonic for promoting fertility.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#200 of 358 Old 12-19-2009, 04:38 AM

Hi all,

I have been looking to study herbs and nutrition more thouroughly and GreenVariety, I have found the AncientRoots1 basic course wonderful for consolidating what I have been learnt informally. I am hoping to make contact with local herbal healers to learn more about local herbs and healing. So far I have made an olive leaf tincture from the olive tree in my garden and I am starting a herb and veggie garden.

Great thread

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#201 of 358 Old 12-21-2009, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

well I have changed my mind and am taking the course at www.swsbm.com and also one with Susun Weed. After that I am going to do the NAIMH one and also yet another course through Anima! (I am a sucker for classes as I have several certificates already, not that they really mean anything officially though.)

I have several chances to start teaching soon so I want to fill my head with as much info as possible!

#202 of 358 Old 12-22-2009, 01:58 PM

oh! that sounds like a lot of fun. i taught a community education class a while back on how to make salves. it was so much fun. and i got so much out of being able to show everyone a techinque that should belong to everyone. it really helped to condense my "lesson" down to "teach" the class to a friend frist. so she could ask any questions that might come up.
how are you planning on doing your class? i would love to hear more about it.

#203 of 358 Old 12-22-2009, 02:02 PM

oh! i LOVE the anrcho-herbalism part by laurel luddite. damn that is good.

#204 of 358 Old 12-22-2009, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

thought I'd post the link for those interested!
http://www.swsbm.com/homepage/Anarcho-herbalism.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian'smommaya View Post
oh! i LOVE the anrcho-herbalism part by laurel luddite. damn that is good.

#205 of 358 Old 12-22-2009, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

ultimately I would love to offer plant walks and medicine making classes. as well as a wild foods CSA during the spring/summer/fall. I am also writing courses to be sold via ebook with comprehensive info. I have a chance too work at a regional non prof organization too.

#206 of 358 Old 12-25-2009, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
ultimately I would love to offer plant walks and medicine making classes. as well as a wild foods CSA during the spring/summer/fall. I am also writing courses to be sold via ebook with comprehensive info. I have a chance too work at a regional non prof organization too.

that sounds so good. good for you, what a thing to do.

#207 of 358 Old 02-17-2010, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

bumpitty bump! spring is coming!!!

#208 of 358 Old 02-17-2010, 07:20 PM

i know right? cant you just smell it. this afternoon ds thought he saw the new buds on a tree. i thought they were leaves from last year, after all it is febuarary still right?

i am working on a balm of gilead oil, some arnica oil, sleeping babe balm, and several other herbal items. and i am planning the new garden in a new yard. :excited:!

rainbowmoon how is your teaching going?

#209 of 358 Old 02-17-2010, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

We just got 6" of snow yesterday (hadn't had any for over a month though) it is melting already and the birds are nesting even!

I am not teaching (yet). Just doing my SWSBM courses! I am also going to start a 3 year community herbalist program in May (super psyched for this one too!! weee!)

what do you use the gilead oil for?

I need to stock our herb (and tea) cupboard this next week. Mountain Rose here I come!

I also found this great site and come to find out it's owned by a friend of a friend! small world, right? www.terrafirmabotanicals.com

#210 of 358 Old 02-17-2010, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

I also forgot to say I get to add to our landlords already lush gardens. We are going to grow tons of herbs! I can hardly wait I am so ecstatic! After trying to grow things in the desert for so long I am simply thrilled! (the weather is soooo good here for herb growing too) Hope to have alot of things to dry and prepare this summer and fall!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page