Vitamin D question... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-04-2009, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone give me a guideline for correct Vitamin D dosage, along with maybe some links for more info? I know the current FDA recommendation of 400 IU is low, but I'm not sure where to find good info. We recently started taking the 2000IU Carlson's drops, but I'm a little worried that might be too much for my kids (ages 9, 5, 3). I have a friend who is interested in this issue as well and she wants to read something to support taking more then what the FDA says.

Thanks!!!
#2 of 7 Old 04-04-2009, 02:46 PM
A&A

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I give my kids 400 IU and take 2000 IU myself.

Kids' bodies process vit. D more efficiently than adults, so they're getting more of it from the sun than you are.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#3 of 7 Old 04-04-2009, 02:58 PM

I just started giving my LOs 400IU per drop. I was just diagnosed with low vit. D and My doctor prescribed 6,000 IU. My level was 16.5 and he said it should be over 60.
#4 of 7 Old 04-05-2009, 07:37 PM

I recently was diagnosed with low d (actually, I have the adult form of ricketts, although I can't pronounce or spell it I even had a broken wrist about a year ago that in hindsight was because of my low d or at least the way it broke was due to the low d) I'm on 20,000 iu a day now. I worked up to it starting at 2,000. I originally was going to take 50,000 iu a day but after doing some research my hcp and I decided with 20,000 because taking 40,000 a day for an extended amount of time has been shown to cause an overdose in adults. I've seen supplements of 50,000 iu but I think those are meant to be taken weekly. Once my number goes up I plan to take 2,000 iu to maintain, I get to retest in 2 weeks.

I think that 2,000 a day for a child is fine...I wish I had my links bookmarked but I don't...I do specifically remember reading that children given 2,000 iu a day is fine and that's why I chose to give that much my own children (8,5, and 4). My kid's doctor is aware of how much I am giving them and he wasn't concerned about it but you may want to ask your children's healthcare practitioner just to be sure.

Although, now that it's spring and we are outside constantly I think I may stop supplementing for the kids, then just start up again in the fall.
#5 of 7 Old 04-05-2009, 09:16 PM

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocente...ex.html#safety
The govt. set a tolerable upper limit at 2000 IU per day for kids 1-18 years. I wouldn't worry at all about giving 2000 IU.

The issue is if a person is low (child or adult) they need more. So it's a good idea to have the hydroxy 25 D levels checked to see where you are.

As far as adults:
Quote:
because the consequences of hypercalcemia are severe, the Food and Nutrition Board established a very conservative UL of 2,000 IU/day (50 mcg/day) for children and adults (see table below) (30). Research published since 1997 suggests that the UL for adults is likely overly conservative and that vitamin D toxicity is very unlikely in healthy people at intake levels lower than 10,000 IU/day (39, 97, 98).
The research I read showed that the average adult needs at least 2000 IU (and maybe more) just to maintain their vitamin D levels. The 400 IU is ridiculously low.

I was giving my kids 2000 IU per day and neither was "optimal" although neither was low either. I take 5000 IU per day and I'm waiting on my results.

Finally, this link has lots of research based information on dosing and toxicity. http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/mentalIllness.shtml

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#6 of 7 Old 04-06-2009, 01:04 AM

I am vitamin D deficient and have multiple sclerosis. I believe I've been deficient most of my life and that it was the most important factor in the development of MS.

The "safe upper limit" for kids > 2 is 2000 IU. This amount is VERY safe. Higher doses are almost assuredly also safe (and even necessary) to correct a deficiency. I'm currently taking 4000 IU a day (and have been for about six months) to try and correct my levels. I'm due for a re-test soon. My midwife told me almost no one they have screened has enough vitamin d and that I would probably need more than 2000 IU a day to correct it. The scary thing is that I had been taking 1000 IU to 2000 IU during pregnancy but was still moderately (almost severely) deficient.

For yourself, the easiest thing to do is get screened while supplementing. This isn't as easy to do with young kids as it requires a blood draw, but in general, rest assured 2000 IU is safe. You would have to take *a lot* of vitamin D for an extended period of time for it to be harmful.

In general, with all I have read, Vitamin D deficiency is one of the single most overlooked problems in health. It has been linked to cancer, autoimmune disorders ... even susceptibility to the flu (winter illness - less sun!) I also do not believe it is possible for everyone to get what they need from the sunlight. I don't seem to be able to. I'm extremely fair skinned and even with 15 minutes of exposure a day + supplementation, I was still deficient.

I have a few good links on research & safety but they are on a different computer. I'll try to retrieve and post them

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
#7 of 7 Old 04-06-2009, 03:36 PM

When taking Vit D, you have to be careful because your calcium production will also increase which can cause problems.

When my doc recommended 50,000 IU per week, my ped wanted me to wean my son (18m at the time) because she was concerned this was too much for him.

So I'd recommend consulting your ped and getting your calcium tested regularly as well.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page