my 18month dd has been asleep for 24hrs now... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-02-2004, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
with waking up to nurse for 5-15 min, before going back to sleep. her head and chest are hot hot hot! I dont know her temp though. Her face looks a little puffy today(maybe from all the sleep), and while she sleeps her limbs jerk. Sometimes it wakes her up and she says "WOO" and goes back to sleep.
Yesterday she was choking on really thick clear mucous and she vomited up some mucous after the choking episode.
For the most part I think shes still fairly happy when she wakes to nuse, but its hard to tell.
Id like to give her elderblossom tea but am at a loss at how to get her to drink it.
Ive tried to cool her off with cool cloths, then I tried a warm bath which I was going to add cool water too to slowly drop the temperature. I even tried the wet sock trick but all this freaked her out so I stopped. She is 18 months old.
Is all this sleeping okay? Im thinking probally, but Id like to make sure just in case.
thanks

Edited to try and make some sence:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2004, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Your e-mail is hard for me to understand (probably because it was typed by the mother of a sick baby)

Your child as been sleeping for 24 hours but waking to nurse? The waking up to nurse sounds positive to me but sleeping straight for 24 hours sounds a bit scary if she/he doesn't wake to eat.

I just thought I would jump in and clear this up some so that you can get the help you need.

Edited to add that your child's age may be important to someone who knows about this kind of thing.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Old 01-02-2004, 03:13 PM

Have you tried actually waking the baby up during the long sleep? if she's difficult to rouse, or very lethargic I'd recommend a professional in-office opinion. To rouse her you might try talking energetically to her, singing her name, propping her up and perhaps moving to a cooler area, even outside. I'm pretty physical and do a lot of mushing on my kid even when he was tiny... for example nosing his neck and backs of ears and blowing little raspberries on his parts, or giving a vigorous foot massage.

Do you have a thermometer in the house? If not Get One. I've let my son go as high as 104 when he was sick but alert, hydrated, and continuing to need diaper changes. I'd consider 104 too high otherwise. I give Tylenol for pain when my beastie needs it, and before bed during *high* fever times but otherwise I subscribe to the: kids' fevers serve them in "burning" off old stuff to become ready for what growing they need to do next. btw: Anybody know the real story on that? I've gotten it kind of urban legend style....

That's my advice, that and stay calm yourself and preserve your own health! I'm "hypervigilant" already and when the illness comes I am constantly walking the naturopathic vs. white-man medicine line and it's only worse if I go down too! Kudos to you for your commitment to natural parenting. You are strong and brave and I commend you
Old 01-02-2004, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Hey thanks,
I edited op to make better sence. But heres some more info,
I can wake her up with ease, and she'll even interact for 10-15 minutes. Then she dozes off again. She now has what looks like bruising right under her eyes - What does that mean?-
She was standing about 1hr ago, but was really wobbly, so I picked her up again. She has been held in my mothers or mine arms since yesterday 11:30 ish, even while sleeping she is on my chest.
I dont have any tylenol or related products. Im too worried about possible side effects. I do have teas and some remedies if it sounds like she ought to be getting something specific. She was awake for two 15 minute walks out side too(in her stroller and on my back)

And if it matters on the 22 of December she hit the left side of her forehead really hard on a metal chair leg. I think she fractured her skull, but I didnt relize it then. The swelling is down, and all that remains is a faint brown bruise and a hard ridge under the skin. She got Arnica for this and it worked so I didnt worry about it.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:14 PM

Oh my-your last comment about her hitting her head scares me --I know it was quite a few days ago but -a fractured skull IS SERIOUS!!!!

Call a Dr & let them know you what is going on---Take her temp before calling --they want to know exactly what it is & will freak if you do not know --borrow one from someone .

A fever is not a bad thing you know -I use Herbs for Kids Temp Assure -I feel it helps the body deal with the fever better.

My dd had pneumonia at 21 months -she slept like your dd -it was viral (they did a blood test to check her CBC-complete blood count)to make sure it was not bacterial.
The chest xray was no fun--harness -I nursed her through most of it -had to let go for the moment of the xray-
Prayers to you all-

::
momma to 4
Old 01-02-2004, 10:18 PM

I would be very concerned given the information of a skull fracture.

Are you telling us you think she fractured her skull and you used Arnica to help it without having her seen by a professional? Head injuries are nothing to mess with. At the very least you should have her properly diagnosed even if you decide to treat it at home. She could have bleeding under her skull that you don't even know about.

The symptoms you're mentioning could be related to a concussion. I would take her to the doctor immediately and if one isn't available I would probably take her to the ER.

Just my opinion. But I wouldn't wait. Seriously. Go now.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:21 PM
Liz

I think you should take her to a doctor. Do you have a doctor? Can I help you find one? I am in Toronto. Going to a doctor does not mean you have to take their advice but I think it would be worth listening to. They can listen to her chest to see if she has pneumonia, they can take her temp., they can check out the head injury. You have free health care so I think you should use it. Please pm me if you want.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:27 PM

I just reread your first post-vomiting -puffy face --jerking-sleeping alot-
Go to ER --write down when & what happened time wise -

The fever ??
the other symptoms are concussion sounding -go fast.

::
momma to 4
Old 01-02-2004, 10:37 PM

From Take Charge of Your Child's Health by George Wootan, MD:

"Most signs of cerebral hemorrhage will occur within eight hours after the injury, but they may not show up for as long as two weeks..."

I'm praying for your family, and hoping you're on the way to the dr. already.

Gail
Old 01-03-2004, 03:51 AM

What you have described sounds very serious, please seek help immediately.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:17 PM

noodle4u--How is your DD doing today? I hope she's doing better!
Old 01-03-2004, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have been following this thread without posting because everyone has said what I felt....

but please, please, give us the update.

i'm very concerned about your daughter.

hugs and a prayer that all is well.

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

Old 01-03-2004, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the concern and we rushed to the ER as soon as I read those posts (I was freaking out when it looked like maybe her brain could be bleeding or something) eek!

We just wke up 1/2 an hour ago (1:00pm my time) the diagnosis was that she has a virus *PHEW* I let them give her a dose of tylenol, it let her sleep soundly, and she has woken up and is alert with no fever. Although she looks kinda ghosty with her pale colour and colouring around her eyes.
And just so you all know when she origionally bonked her head it never occured to me she would have fractured. Thats why she got arnica instead of a doctors visit. When my family 'diagnosed' her as maybe having a fracture I didnt make an appointment with our doctor because she was bright eyed and happy(at the time) and the swelling was going down and the bruising was changing and going away. Im not a neglectful mother. No one has said that for which Im grateful, but Im some people might have been thinking it.
Thank you for all your help!!! and concern.
Old 01-03-2004, 04:51 PM

THANK YOU for giving us an update!

I've been through head bonks more times than I care to remember, and it sounds like you handled the entire thing perfectly -- not getting freaked out at first, but following up later when things started to get weird.

It sounds odd to say, but I'm so happy to hear your little girl is sick! because it means it's nothing worse!
Old 01-03-2004, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by noodle4u
Im not a neglectful mother. No one has said that for which Im grateful, but Im some people might have been thinking it.
Thank you for all your help!!! and concern. [/B]
Hey,

I never, ever thought you were a neglectful mother…ever! BUT, I, also, would have worried that people thought so if I were you! I know why you would/did worry that people were thinking that but I don’t thing anyone was. I’m glad you got some more information and I hope you and your baby feel better soon.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Old 01-03-2004, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I am SOOOO glad all is okay.

phew!

of course you are not a neglectful mommy.

my own vibe is most moms who find themselves at mdc are a cut above. imho.

hug her, kiss her...and so glad she is well.

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

User Tag List