postpartum bleeding question? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-17-2002, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i am almost 6 weeks postpartum. i bled "normally" mostly bright red blood until around 4 1/2 weeks and it stopped for a few days. i thought it had completely healed. then a few days later i started spotting again, now dark red blood. the bleeding is very light, i guess you would call it spotting. i only use one pad a day and its only a small amount. does anybody know if this is normal-- to stop bleeding and then start again? I have never bled this long with my other pregnancies. also i know that lochia is not supposed to last past six weeks. i am really sick of bleeding----- i'm ready for a normal sex life again!! we were able to "do it" after the bleeding stopped for those few days. maybe i should have waited to make sure it was completely gone. oh yeah-- one more thing-- i think i read somewhere that some breastfeeding women have a "bleeding episode" around 6 weeks.

mel
#2 of 7 Old 04-17-2002, 10:55 AM

In my experince, you bleed longer after each pregnancy. (I have 4 children.) I don't recall stopping for a few days and then starting up, but I do recall light bleeding becoming heavy again after I over exerted myself. After my last pregnancy, at six weeks pp, I wasn't bleeding exactly, but I had a lot of whitish/pinkish discharge. Then I read in one of dh's medical textbooks that lochia does change from bright red to pink to white. I didn't get around to my pp check up until 7 weeks after birth and by that time the discharge had only just stopped. I hope this helps.
#3 of 7 Old 04-17-2002, 04:35 PM
m&m

Just as every pregnancy is different, so is each post partum period. As long as you do not start seeing huge clots - I would not worry.

Try drinking some red raspberry leaf tea, and deep breathing exersizes while nursing. It helps tone the uterus, and relax the muscles, helping shed the lining. Try not to overdo things for a while too.

Also homeopathics help a lot too - arnica is good, there are others - but it is best to see someone trained.
#4 of 7 Old 04-17-2002, 05:58 PM

I don't have any answers for you but I actually did the same thing. I bled for 4 weeks and then went a few days w/out and then bled again for another 1 1/2 wk.s. I told them about it at the dr.s and the nurse just told me it was probably my period returning...YEAH RIGHT! Ds was nursing non-stop that whole time so I really don't think it was that. I got infected where I tore and I thought it was maybe due to that. Sorry I'm not much help but at least you know that you're not the only one.
#5 of 7 Old 04-17-2002, 06:14 PM

Good advice m&m!
#6 of 7 Old 04-18-2002, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the advice ladies. today the flow has stopped, once again. hopefully it will stay away!! i will try the raspberry leaf tea and relaxing (although its hard to do that with 3 young kids). drewsmom thats one reason i didnt call my OBGYN about this -- i think they'll just say its my period but i know its not-- i'm nursing a toddler and a baby and they both nurse like crazy!!

mel
#7 of 7 Old 04-20-2002, 10:57 PM

I found that taking extra calcium and vitamin C supplements helped to reduce my lochia flow with my first pregnancy. I seemed to need both, not just one or the other.
Calcium is crucial to muscle function (uterus staying tight?) and vitamin C is necessary for healing wounds as I understand it.
I'm due again on June 2nd with my second child, so I'm going to stock up and have some more on hand.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page