Mothering Forum banner

can massage cause diarrhea

152K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  KittyJane 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
A friend of mine has a massage today, they told her to drink extra water to flush the toxins that the massage therapist loosened up. 9 IS this typical advise)

A friend has loose stools, could it be from the massage?

The massage was for a pulled muscle in the back, seeing a chiropractor alone.

#2 ·
The two are very unlikely, nearly impossible to be directly related. I've had deep abdominal work done many, many times, and performed it frequently as well. The 'worst' that has happened was the escaping a of a bit of gas.

I've actually thought about this a few times, and flipped thru my pathology and physiology books {yeah I'm a big enough massage nerd I keep them close at hand in my room} The only thing I can come up with between those and personal experience/lecture notes is that deep abdominal work can release blockages in the stomach and intestines. So if she had liquid stool 'backed up' in her intestines, or was on medication that could cause same {regularly taking tylenol can do that in as little as 3 days of every 6 hour doses} then the abdominal work could have release the last bit of solid stool in her system, thereby 'making a path for' the liquid, as it were.

Barring medication combined with deep work however, I don't see how it could be possible. I'll post it to my peer board to be sure and let you know what the consensus is there [some of the people have been therapists for decades over there]

#4 ·
I had a massage today for tension in back & shoulders after returning to work last week from a recent hysterectomy.

The massage was very gentle (45mins) & I felt great afterwards. An hour later I had stomach cramps resulting in violent diarrhoea. Its liquid come out very rapidly. I've been 5 times in 2 hrs and I'm now laying in bed with a hot water bottle to ease the bloated belly & cramps.

I rang the masseuse who had never heard of such a reaction & was very sympathetic. My muscles were really knotted (prob built up for years) and with recent op & health, could it be my body getting rid of A LOT of toxins?

#5 ·
Had a Javanese deep tissue massage today. Clicked my spine-every vertebra. Half a hour later started getting windy and profuse watery diarrhoea since. Think there is a link. Read Murakami's Kafka on the shore and in story there is an old man that develops special gift to align peoples' backs. He warns patients that it might open their bowels and in the fictional story it did. Maybe the Japanese knows something we don't.

#7 ·
Thankyouvery everyone, I am glad I am not alone. I have just come from a deep tissue massage with a really strong masseur. At some point I did feel by bowel loosen and by the end I nearly ran off the massage bed and nearly passed out in the bathroom with diarrhoea. As someone said more like a colonic clean out. No more deep tissue for me for a while :eek:b Hope you all recovered ok.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.